PDA

View Full Version : clamp pads

astrid
14th November 2007, 04:24 PM
one of the hardest jobs I find, is trying to hold and tighten large horrizontal clamps while simultainiously inserting a clamp block between the clamp and the furniture.
so my daughter got an old wool blanket, folded it into 4, and stiched the edge,
I can hold this in place a lot more easily because its flexable unlike a wood block and hold one end of the clamp at the same time, and work the wool pad into place with free fingers. and it is fine for protecting the timber.
my only disability is my hands are the size of an average 10 yo, but this might be useful to anyone with arthritis or lathe finger (or should that be lathed fingers)

astrid:)

wheelinround
14th November 2007, 05:46 PM
Pics astrid

even when my hands were good and nimble I had this problem an old fellow showed a trick use an elastic band to hold the block onto the clamp or a bit of blu-tac.

malb
14th November 2007, 06:15 PM
Worked in SS metal furniture for a time. We had stick on felt pads for glides on some sofa legs, and found they they had other uses as well. Every clamp we used ended up with them as fixed no scratch protectors. Averaged about 4 months production use before replacing because the were becoming uneven or getting fine metal particles in them. Should work as well for wood. Available as sheets to about 8x10 inch, or various sized round and oval pads.
Round ones back to back make neat polishing buffs for a dremel for touch up buffing in tight corners as well.

astrid
14th November 2007, 06:59 PM
I dont think stick on felt would be thick enough,
wood is(obviosly )softer than metal and clamps arnt just holding the piece but pulling the joints tight and compressing the glue till it dries.
felt pads wont redistribute the stress but a 4'' square of thick wool seems too.
but thanks

re the block and laccy band. sounds fiddly (Ive no patience)
hold pad between two spare fingers and slip it in as your tightening the clamp,
It sits there loosly as its not as heavy as a timber block.
its hard to explain I need my girl for photos

astrid :)

Wild Dingo
18th November 2007, 02:12 AM
Astrid good idea thanks! :2tsup:

Ive taken someones (Niki?) idea and stuck 240 sandpaper on the ends of all my spring clamps and it works a treat!! :2tsup: only a very slight marring of the surface but thats gone with finish sanding anyways and to me the most important thing is to HOLD THE BUGGAR till Im ready for it or its glued or screwed up... and thats where the sandpaper kicked in so well :;

But I can see a great use for it with finished stuff! Well done! :2tsup:

jerryc
14th January 2008, 11:57 AM
One of the most useful things to have in a workshop is double sided carpet tape. All my clamps have thin leather (salvaged from a pair of old slippers) held on the work faces with double sided tape so I never have to worry about the metal marking my work. I have used it instead of clamps to hold small pieces of wood for routing and if it will stand up to that you know it will do anything you ask of it.
Yes I have also held wood spacer blocks to clamps when I have not had enough hands to hold everything.
However a word of warning. When using it with wood on wood, it holds so well that it's best to be sparing when using it. In the early stages I was over enthusiastic and levering with a sharp chisel to release it resulted in it tearing the softer wood.

Jerry

Everyone is entitiled to my opinion

robyn2839
14th February 2008, 10:12 PM
rare earth magnets countersunk into pads,works like a charm .drill a large hole quarter way through on threaded end one.bob

Wood Borer
14th February 2008, 10:50 PM
I use hotmelt glue to glue pieces of soft ply to the faces of my clamps. The glue is soft enough to remove the ply if reuired or it can be heated to make it even softer.

Prior to that I had all sorts of problems just like Astrid.