PDA

View Full Version : new bowl tonite

thefixer
14th November 2007, 10:23 PM
G'day all

I'm on roll now. 2 nights in a row uninterrupted on the MC1100. I feel like I've died and gone to heaven. Last night the Egg and Egg cup and tonight this little baby. Don't ask me what the timber is coz I have no idea, but I have heaps of it and it is as hard as concrete. I spend more time at the grinder than I do at the lathe when I turn it, but it's worth it I think.

Cheers
Shorty

ss_11000
14th November 2007, 11:44 PM
Nice work Shorty. nice shiny finish you've got and i like the shape:cool:

Gil Jones
15th November 2007, 04:24 AM
Shorty, that bowl is nicely turned and finished:2tsup:
and the bead around the rim is an elegant touch!
Good looking wood too.

hughie
15th November 2007, 06:11 AM
Shorty,

Nice one!

I take it from the way the foot has been finished you dont have a Donut chuck or Cole jaws etc? Or is it a design feature?

thefixer
15th November 2007, 06:18 AM
Shorty,

Nice one!

I take it from the way the foot has been finished you dont have a Donut chuck or Cole jaws etc? Or is it a design feature?

G'day Hughie

I prefer to leave the tenon on my bowls so I can put them back in the lathe at a later date and repolish. And experience has taught me that this particular timber likes to form its own shape after turning. Might need a touch up after a few months.

Cheers
Shorty

OGYT
15th November 2007, 12:47 PM
Nice bowl, Shorty! I like the rim treatment, too. And the inset tenon on the bottom is pretty sharp thinkin'. It could be removed later, if you wanted.

hughie
15th November 2007, 01:50 PM
I prefer to leave the tenon on my bowls so I can put them back in the lathe at a later date and repolish. And experience has taught me that this particular timber likes to form its own shape after turning. Might need a touch up after a few months.

Shorty,

No worries, on that basis its a darn good idea. :2tsup:

BernieP
15th November 2007, 04:50 PM
G'Day Shorty

Nice bowl, what size is it?

Cheers
Bernie

artme
15th November 2007, 08:24 PM
Good one Shorty. If you ever enter competitions the judges will want you to have no signs to show how you held the bowl and I think that's worth bearing in mind.
Coles jaws are ok but a vacuum chuck may be better. If you get to a chance see some of these good turners at a femo then do so. They have some great holding ideas.
What finish did you use by the way?

Farnk
15th November 2007, 09:02 PM
Well done mate, great finish and form.

thefixer
15th November 2007, 09:17 PM
G'Day Shorty

Nice bowl, what size is it?

Cheers
Bernie

175 mm diamater 50 mm high
Cheers
Shorty

thefixer
15th November 2007, 09:22 PM
Good one Shorty. If you ever enter competitions the judges will want you to have no signs to show how you held the bowl and I think that's worth bearing in mind.
Coles jaws are ok but a vacuum chuck may be better. If you get to a chance see some of these good turners at a femo then do so. They have some great holding ideas.
What finish did you use by the way?

No intentions of ever entering competition. I turn for fun and relaxation. It looks great sitting on a table or shelf and no evidence of chuck use is seen unless it is turned upside down.
The finish is one coat of shellawax and one of s**t hot waxstix.

Cheers
Shorty

BernieP
15th November 2007, 09:50 PM
G'Day Shorty

The reason I asked size is I like the proportions of your finished bowl, so hope you don't mind but will make a note of the measurements for future use. Thanks for sharing, beautiful bowl.

Cheers
Bernie

thefixer
15th November 2007, 10:00 PM
G'Day Shorty

The reason I asked size is I like the proportions of your finished bowl, so hope you don't mind but will make a note of the measurements for future use. Thanks for sharing, beautiful bowl.

Cheers
Bernie

Go for your life mate. Emulation is the finest form of flattery.

Cheers
Shorty