PDA

View Full Version : Timber offer + challenge

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

robutacion
15th November 2007, 02:30 AM
Hi everyone,
For the less experienced and Rookie turners, I would like to offer some of my extra stock of small diameter Black Wattle timber in return for a participation in this idea of mine.

I supply "equal" pieces of timber to all participants, 1 piece x 12" long x 3" diameter per turner, and each one will turn and clear finish 1 x gobble (goblet), and show it to the forum. I believe the best piece should be awarded, unfortunately due to my own financial limitations, my material contribution ends with the provision of the timber. This would open an opportunity possibly for one of the forum members with a related business, to donate a small price (ie. tool, etc), to the winner. What you reckon?:)

The idea is to challenge the new turner with the making of one of many possible designs of a commonly known gobble (goblet), putting everyone in the same level when it comes to the raw material, and at the same time adding some excitement to the possible results. The length of timber provided, will allow for 2 gobbles (goblets), so you will have a spare (just in case), or make 2 and select the best one.

I have not yet weighed the timber, for postal costs (do it tomorrow), I know its heavy timber but shouldn't exceed 3 kg each, so should be under $5.00. Each piece will be rapped with bubble rap and brown packaging paper, for protection at no cost, you only will be asked to cover the postal costs.

This Black Wattle tree, was approx. 15 years old when cut in January 2007 (10 months of dry time), at the present this timber measures 15% humidity in the centre, and 19-20% at the outside (bark surface). This is not excessive humidity levels for finishing, but I will recommend a good sealer coat, immediately after turned.

For the judgement panel, I though in select 2 experienced turners and myself from this forum's regulars. This will be achieve by originally selecting 10 "old goats" names into a barrel, and draw 2 names out of it. If we have any participants, I will contact in the next week or so, the 2 turners drawn, for possible availability and willingness to be part of this. Is this fair?:D

In all, what are the conditions?
1- Show interest in participate and pick one blank number (1 to 12).
2- Be willing to cover the posting of the wood to you (a PM will be provided with Bank info for Direct Deposit).
3- Turn and finish with clear products only, (no stains) the blank provided into a gobble (goblet), (no size limitations).
4- Provide 2 x pictures of the finish product, in this thread for classification (vote/rating/pick/chose/select/etc.,etc.).
5- Be able to provide the pics no later than the 17 December 2007 (approx 4 weeks).

Hint, hint, hint...
I will be looking for lots of "yellow" on those gobbles (goblets)...!!!:wink:
The pics bellow, show the 12 blanks available (more if necessary), and a bit of and idea of how it looks like, inside and out.
In the pic, the logs ends were deliberately painted over, so that selection would be fair(er) for everyone, sorry!:o

Just let me know...
Cheers :2tsup:
RBTCO
PS: where is reads "gobble(s)", should read GOBLET(S)

Gil Jones
15th November 2007, 04:52 AM
RBTCO,
Sounds like an interesting challenge (a bit too far away for me to enter:~), but the bark should be removed from any shipped wood so as not to distribute wood eating insects from one area to another. By the way, what is a "gobble" (here it is the language of a turkey). Does it possibly mean goblet? The wood looks rather like our Juniper or Aromatic Cedar.

benji79
15th November 2007, 07:21 AM
Sounds like a great idea, but I also have no idea what a "gobble" is:?
Should get heaps of support i think.

Benji

switt775
15th November 2007, 09:04 AM
:?
I'm also interested... maybe... what did you say a "gobble" was again?.

Pat
15th November 2007, 12:56 PM
At least I am not the only one scrathing my noggin. Please anyonr, what is a gobble?

I think he may mean a "goblet".

ss_11000
15th November 2007, 03:14 PM
whats a gobble??? ( theres an echo in hear i know:D )

sounds like a good idea! i may be interested:)

cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th November 2007, 03:39 PM
No, no... a Gobble is an adult Goblet.

Many, many years ago 'twas a majestic sight to see whole herds of full-grown Gobbles hopping across the plains but, alas, those days are long gone. :no:

Urban development and human encroachment has destroyed these herds, bringing the Gobble to the brink of extinction. Nowadays, the only ones left are small, stunted beasts that are factory bred for their wooden eggs.

Occasionally you can still see a small specimen that has been stuffed and mounted on someone's dresser or sideboard.

rsser
15th November 2007, 04:08 PM
Well I guess we need some artist's reconstruction of a gobble before we can turn one.

Maybe the body to foot ratio would be greater as with adult dogs and puppies.

artme
15th November 2007, 04:36 PM
Do full grown male and female gobbles have distntive features like horns, wattles or decorative feathers? Do they have names for each gender? Is a gobblet raiser a gobbletere? There is so much to learn!!!:D:D:D

hughie
15th November 2007, 04:58 PM
Ah yes I remember it well as if it was yesterday, sitting on my grandfathers knee listening to his tales of derring doo on the hunting of the Great Gobble. The gobble in those days roamed far and wide in great herds thundering across the plains of Tasmooniya. Twas a sad day on the passing of the last gobble.

RETIRED
15th November 2007, 05:15 PM
OK kiddies.:D

robutacion
15th November 2007, 05:20 PM
Hi guys,

This is what happens when one is in front of a computer, at 2 AM, after a hot long day...! :doh:
I'm sorry, this was a repetitive typo mistake, and spell-check didn't pickup. What I meant, and would like to see turned, is a goblet (a bowl-shaped drinking vessel / a drinking vessel with a foot and stem.) :doghouse:

Now that we got that one sorted, lets talk about those outside Australia. Is obvious that for those outside Australia, being part of the group that will do the turning, is not very economic (freight), as also the time frame that I'm trying to work with, would make it near impossible to get the blanks to certain parts of the Globe on time.

So, if you are a new turner and live overseas, don't feel left out, maybe one next time, you will be able to participate. On the other hand, and if you have been a regular to this forum, being overseas don't stop you to participate, as mentioned on my previous thread, the 10 more experienced turners names that will go into the drawing barrel, are not all from Australia, so if your name is drawn in a weeks time, you will be (open acceptance) one of the judges.

This is indeed the situation with Gill Jones, (he/you) are part of the original list of 10 names, so hang in there, your name could come up!:D.

Thanks also Gill, for mentioning the safety required to void any spread of nasties with the timber. Indeed the logs will be fumigated tomorrow, there is no need to remove the bark, as this one is very thin and very, very tight to the wood. The fumigation process is based on a large plastic bag (black rubbish bags), and a insecticide spray can "bomb" type. The long can nozzle is inserted into the top of the bag, after been tight-up, and activate the "bomb" can, leave it overnight and any alive creatures inside that bag will be dead. The logs are kept inside that bag, until ready for posting. So it will obvious that you need to wash your hands, every time you handle that log before it is turned.
NOTE: The logs will not have that much insecticide as the logs weren't submerged, most of the toxins will be in the exterior surface, so as a precaution I will suggest apart from washing your hands when in contact with the unturned log, to start the turning with a clean floor and as soon as the blank is rounded clean of the bark, clean the removed shavings into a plastic bag and dispose of it safely, after that you will be safe and don't have to be worried about any poison. This is not as bad as it sounds, nor should deter you from participating. Remember, those are safety precautions, and the simple and correct steps to deal with it.

I have also weigh the logs and in average, each weighs approx. 3 kg, so from here (Adelaide rural), I can work out the postage cost soon, depending to where they got to go to.

Remember, the only thing you need to do to start the "ball rolling", is go the the pic with all the logs, and pick one, look at the number on it and post it here. From that moment on, that log is yours, and is no longer available to others. I will follow the order as per the posts appear on the screen.

So new turners, this is your "turn" literally...!

Cheers
RBTCO

ss_11000
15th November 2007, 05:30 PM
alright, sounds good.

#7 please.

cheers

Frank&Earnest
15th November 2007, 05:53 PM
All right, I'll play. #9 please.

weisyboy
15th November 2007, 06:02 PM
i would be willing to donate a arge pack of turning blanks as part of the prise. if you are interestedthat is.:2tsup:

robutacion
15th November 2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks ss_11000,

You'r on, I will PM you in a day or two.

PARTICIPANTS LIST :
Name --------------------------- Blank #
1- ss_11000 ----------------------- 7
2- Frank and Eanest------------------------------9. Added by . Cause you missed it.:D
Gee, you'r guys are quick, huh?:o
Never lose the opportunity to jump on someone elses back, hey?:no:
Lucky that I can take a joke (some!).:D

Cheers
RBTCO

RETIRED
15th November 2007, 06:59 PM
Added F&E to the list RBTCO

Pat
15th November 2007, 07:14 PM
Could I please have No 1. Thanks.

No idea how to turn a Goblet, but looks like I'll be a learning how to :).

Tankstand
15th November 2007, 07:31 PM
#8 For me please,

Looks different!?:oo:

robyn2839
15th November 2007, 07:50 PM
put me down for 1. bob

robutacion
15th November 2007, 07:55 PM
Hello,
The idea of having this sort of challenge, is a way of having the less experience turners not to be afraid or been demoralised to put some of their work on this forum, and not being concern in be ridicule with some less encouraging comments.

For this to work, I need that, the more experienced turners understand and recognise, what level of people I'm trying to reach, and allow them to have a go. Is a fact of life that, the more experience one gets, the harsher and critical he/she will become toward the beginners, forgetting quite simply how they felt when they started. Some new fellows would just be to intimidated to participate, if this was open to everyone.

I'm not aware of any "official" measurement formula for ones experience, time is not always the answer, as we all witness some people spending most of they life doing the same thing, and not being any good at it, when others are capable of reaching a much higher level of expertise, in a fraction of the time.

Taking this into consideration, and the fact that some sort of criteria is necessary also to determine who should participate or not, I believe reasonable that, this challenge should be limited to those with less than one year of turning experience. This is what the grade of rookie, beginner, novice, green/young/new turner refers to, with the individual natural age, having nothing to do with it.

Another issue that should be mentioned, is the fact that, anyone that is in the category requested for participation, is more than welcome to participate and donate a price, if they are in the position to do so. I would be thankful for any price donations available to the participants, if we end up with a few donations, that will mean that not only the winner would be awarded, but maybe the second and third place will get something also, and that would be a grateful incentive for all participants.:2tsup:

And by the way, no I'm not participating nor was ever my intention, I'm only the fellow with the timber on offer, the idea and the willingness to allow the next generation of wood turners, to have a fair go, have fun in the process and possibly end up with a nice winning price, that's all.

Thank you
Cheers
RBTCO

switt775
15th November 2007, 09:03 PM
OK, I'll go for... No 3.

Oops, just read your latest post, and will have to disqualify myself as being over experienced...
Unless the "1 year" is total time turning.. sort of like "hours driving on your L plates before you can get your licence"?? Of the 2+ years I've had a lathe, it has spent many months sitting idle, while life got in the way of turning......

OK, I know it sounds like begging. The question is, is it working?

Harry72
15th November 2007, 09:54 PM
Cool I have only had a lathe for 3mths... put me down for #6.

Frank&Earnest
15th November 2007, 10:35 PM
I have documented my turning history in other threads and, just in case the omission of my entry was not unintentional as 's charitably suggested, :wink: I am happy to withdraw given that "possession of a lathe" is deemed evidence of turning experience. I bought a B&D drill attachment for turning in 1976, a basic (GMC like) lathe some time in the 80s that I then gave to my dad and probably chalked up 50 hours of "turning" in the past 31 years. A few months ago I did 27 hours of learning at a TAFE and purchased my first "real" lathe. Until then I had never "finished" a turned piece (if you do not count slapping paint on turned pine posts for a child's bed) and I have not yet @#$%^ managed to learn how to get a decent result with Shellawax. I have since turned the bowls shown in this forum. Never turned a goblet.

I hope this three decades of experience qualify me instead for inclusion in the list of 10 possible judges.:D

ss_11000
15th November 2007, 11:00 PM
Hello,
I believe reasonable that, this challenge should be limited to those with less than one year of turning experience.

. I would be thankful for any price donations available to the participants,

alright - i'm 15, been turning since 13...bugga. oh well, i shall pull out then:) and i will donate a pack of osage orange and olive pen blanks that i cut up ages ago as a prize:2tsup: ( maybe as second or third prize:) )

cheers

Edit - my donation will be of ten ( 10 ) pen blanks from this picture ( i will choose which ones )

funkychicken
15th November 2007, 11:24 PM
Dangit... I have no use for pen blanks...

I just fit into the "new" group, put me down for number 3

Funky C

ss_11000
15th November 2007, 11:27 PM
Dangit... I have no use for pen blanks...
Funky C
well come first then:p - i'm sure there will be better prizes then mine for first place:cool:

thefixer
15th November 2007, 11:35 PM
I've been turning for 14 months, but the the first 5 months was on a GMC lathe. Does that really count as turning experience or do I get bonus time for the agony of putting up with that piece of &*%$^.

Cheers
Shorty

HappyHammer
15th November 2007, 11:50 PM
OK I'm in #1 please. As you are a very new member can postage be paid once the log is received? Just a precaution in case you're actually in Nigeria not Adelaide. :U

The members here have reputations to maintain so I'm not trying to get out of paying it, more than happy to do so, just that we don't know you.:q

HH.

HappyHammer
15th November 2007, 11:52 PM
OK I'm in #1 please.

Damn I was a bit slow there number 10 please.

HH.

HappyHammer
15th November 2007, 11:57 PM
I've been turning for less than a month so easily qualify.:U

HH.

robutacion
16th November 2007, 01:25 AM
OK peoples, take it easy, this is not what it seams, and once again, "assuming" can be a double edged knife, and this is a good example, I explain.
As soon as ss_11000 confirmed his interest, I open the message editor to confirm our first participant, and to make a comment on the jokes made from my spelling mistake. Obviously and for some reason it took me a while to finish, close and send that post, by then, 2 other posts got in, without me knowing about it. There is, when my post #16 got in, the posts #14 & 15 were already there, but I didn't had a chance to see them because the modem went down, seconds after I send the post #16, just before 6:00 pm. I then left the computer room and went to the shed to do some stuff. An hour later or so, I got back to the computer, to check for any expressions of interest for the challenge, just to realise that the modem was still not on line (has been happing a lot lately with my Broadband), so I waited a bit, and then I decided to type off line (around 7:00 pm) some issues that I didn't had discussed before, and that were on my mind. I wrote that post (#21), not knowing what has been said since my last post #16, nor that were 2 other posts before that one, that I didn't see. Just before 7:30 pm, the light on the modem went green, as it got on line again all by itself (as it should) while I was looking at some other computer files. I open the forum page and click "submit reply" to send my message, but before I could do anything else and while the message was downloading, I had a phone call and I had to leave immediately. Got back home just after 11:00 pm, had a shower and dinner and then proceeded to seat at the computer to check things out, only to realise that since 6:00 pm, the circumstances have made some people believe and or assume that I was ignoring them or else. As I explain above, things are not always what they seam...! nor I would ever and deliberately ignore anyone. So if you guys don't mind, lets go back a little, to the post #14 and get and hold on matters.

Sorry, Frank&Earnest that I didn't read you post # 14. I don't really know that well everyone, nor I know in detail everyone's story. I should have mention on my first post under "challenge conditions", and instead of keep mentioning, new/rookie turners, I should have made clear what I meant about less experience turners, but I don't do these sort of things (challenges) often, so I wasn't clear enough, my apologies. I hope you understood what I said on my previous post, so your name will be added to the list, unless you feel that you shouldn't be there, your decision will be respected.

Weisyboy,
Sorry for missing your post.
Why shouldn't I be interested?, any price donation is welcome.
After all, someone will be very happy with your price offer.
On behalf of myself and the possible price winner, thank you.

Thanks

Pat & Tankstand,
You'r guys are on, thanks.

Robyn2839,
Could you please pick some other blank, #1 is taken, thanks.

Switt775,
You obviously want to do this so, you'r on. Thanks.

Harry72,
You are on. Thanks.

PARTICIPANTS LIST :
2- Frank&Earnest ---------------- 9
3- Pat ---------------------------- 1
4- Tankstand --------------------- 8
5- Robyn2839 ------------------- ? Advise please!
6- Switt775 --------------------- 3
7- Harry72 ---------------------- 6

Lots more of logs left, so don't be shy.

Obviously, in the end of the day, you are the only person that should determine if should or not, participate. My guide lines are just that, a guide to help you to decide what you should do, and what is required. As I mention before, timber is not a problem, and the more participants the better, considering that everyone is playing a FAIR game in this small challenge.

The amount of time you had a lathe for, or how long ago you started turning, does not classify anyone's experience. Is my believe tough, if you have been turning "solid" for over a year, you should know what you're doing, not an expert but experienced enough to make it very unfair to go "head to head" with someone that only had a few weeks or even months of turning experience, if you know what I mean...!!!

Thanks so far everyone.
Cheers
RBTCO

robutacion
16th November 2007, 01:51 AM
ss_11000
I think you should stay, for the fact that you as a young man, got a great future as a wood turner, and you are a good example for the young guys out there, to have a go at this very addictive art form. Nevertheless, you have the final say, your decision will be respected.
Thanks for you donation, someone will appreciate your offer.

Thefixer,
If you want to be on, just pick a log number, thanks.

HappyHammer,
"As you are a very new member can postage be paid once the log is received? Just a precaution in case you're actually in Nigeria not Adelaide. :U

The members here have reputations to maintain so I'm not trying to get out of paying it, more than happy to do so, just that we don't know you.:q"

Nigeria? offering logs of Black Wattle? sure...!
That wasn't necessary, but if it makes you feel better, be my guest!

PARTICIPANTS LIST :
5- Robyn2839 ------------------- 12
8- HappyHammer ---------------- 10

I will catch up, eventually.:2tsup:
Cheers
RBTCO

robutacion
16th November 2007, 04:49 AM
Hi everyone,
I decided to provide the Australia Post freight calculator, so that each one of you guys there are going to participate, can calculate also the postage costs to have the timber blank (log) sent to you.

I have just done a few tests with different locations, and I'm chocked with the prices they charge in our days. Indeed the $5.00 that I was expecting for example from were to Adelaide, the lowest cost in regular post not exceeding 3 kg is $8.45. If I use the 3kg Parcel Post Satchel (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:open_window%28%27define.asp?id=24%27%29;), it will cost $9.30. But the same parcel sent to Melbourne in regular post is $11.60, while if sent on the 3kg Parcel Post Satchel (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:open_window%28%27define.asp?id=24%27%29;), the charge still $9.30. I'm amazed with costs.

For your own calculation, you need the Postcode of parcel origin (5171) and parcel destination (your Postcode), you also need the weight (3 kg) and dimensions, length (35 cm) height (10 cm) and width (10 cm).

http://www1.auspost.com.au/pac/index.asp

I will be sending a PM soon, to the participants so far with payment instructions. Logs will be all wrapped on the Sunday, so that on the Monday they get on they way. With this extreme hit forecast for the week, I would get the goblet turned and sealed ASAP, keeping working on it until you got it as you want.

Note: Yesterday afternoon I checked the logs left on the grass where the pics were taken the day before, and I didn't like what I saw. Since the wood was selected and removed from its original stored place, the wood have become totally exposed to the present environmental conditions, sun, light and hot air, and in no time the log ends started to show small cracks due to the heat, so i though in submerse them overnight on soaping solution 50 - 50 liquid detergent and water, but that would double their weight and would need at least 8 to 10 days to get its original weight, and that would make difficult everyone get their piece on time and have it finished, so I had to make a quick decision and do the best second thing available to me, to protect the logs from drying too quick and crack trough, and that was to submerse both ends of the logs, half an inch to an inch from each end, on a mix of special synthetic dark brown "roof tar". They were also fumigated after that, so I will open the bags tomorrow (later) and see what else i should do to keep them in good shape.

Cheers
RBTCO

Frank&Earnest
16th November 2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks RBTCO. I can't speak for the others, but I did not assume anything about your intentions. I just explained why I might be seen as a "rookie" or not depending on the point of view. So, I will still be honoured to participate, but if somebody else will ask for the 12th spot before your deadline I will be equally happy to bow out to give somebody else that opportunity.

As regards postage and payment, have you considered the "cash on delivery" option, i.e everybody pays the postman the full cost and AP keeps the cost of postage and gives you the sale price of the item (in your case, zero:). That would be the easiest, IMHO, no need for calculations and money outlay.

As regards the judging... why not sending to you the finished goblet? Photographs can mask a lot of turning imperfections, and it might come down to who is the best photographer, not necessarily the best turner (unless the judgment is just a matter of design, not of turning prowess).

If you decide to go that way, I offer as a prize to refund the cost of returning the three winning entries to the entrants. (The others can either leave the goblet with you or pay for it to be posted back).

Cheers

HappyHammer
16th November 2007, 12:57 PM
I couldn't trust my first goblet to Australia Post F&E :o

HH.

Frank&Earnest
16th November 2007, 01:20 PM
I couldn't trust my first goblet to Australia Post F&E :o

HH.

:? Never had a problem in 30 years.

robutacion
16th November 2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks Frank&Earnest,
As I mention on my first post, the number of logs available is a lot more than the 12 on the pic. That was a initial starting point, I could if necessary stretch the log number up to 50 or so. I will select, number, and take a pic at another 6 or so, some time today, so your place and log are safe.

Yes, I tent to agree with you, when it comes to the payment method. The cash on delivery is indeed a better option, voiding also any suspicion of my intentions. Thanks mate, I will take you suggestion and make it official, so guys (participants) lets get (PM me) your names, addresses and contact number, in case AUST. POST needs to contact you.

I can have all logs posted next Monday, if you guys provide the info ASAP. Also the deadline is on the 17 December 2007, and judgement processed on the following day 18 December. I will provide a timber log (blank) to anyone that wants to participate, even if the request is made on the 17/12 obviously, this would only work for someone local, but you got my drift, huh?

I appreciate and understand your offer and concern about the decision to be made from a couple of pics, but sending the finished goblets to me, doesn't follow or make possible, the judgement criteria that I expressed previously and/or I want to use. The 2 other judges selected/drawn from the initial list of 10 names, will be provided (email) with a point score sheet of 1 to 10. Each judge will classify each piece with a certain number of points, and using its own criteria of what he/she sees as the best piece. At the end of the day, I collect (email) the scored sheets from the other 2 judges, and than is only a matter of adding all 3 sheets and put every participants name by order of highest points first and so on.

As you see, will be physically impossible for all 3 judges to judge by touch and physical visual all the pieces in the contest/challenge. You make a valid point about what a pic can hide, etc., but at the same time will make all participants aware that the pic can make it or brake it, and like in any other situations, a particular attention to detail is necessary to produce a good photo, so that will become also a important step in anyones mind. With today's technology any camera is able to produce quality photos, so it wouldn't hurt to make everyone (competitors) take some special attention to that final stage of any or most turners need.

But thanks anyway, your offer was very generous, I believe the goblet "creator" should keep his/hers trophy.

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Pat
16th November 2007, 01:27 PM
I've been looking for how to's for the goblet.

One (http://www.turnedtreasures.com/project.html/goblet.html)

Two (http://www.turningtools.co.uk/projects/goblet/goblet-1/goblet.html)

Any one else with a site.

ss_11000
16th November 2007, 04:16 PM
a how to video

http://marleyturned.com/id110.htm

ss_11000
16th November 2007, 04:17 PM
ss_11000
I think you should stay, for the fact that you as a young man, got a great future as a wood turner, and you are a good example for the young guys out there, to have a go at this very addictive art form. Nevertheless, you have the final say, your decision will be respected.
Thanks for you donation, someone will appreciate your offer.

i'll stay in then:) and my donation still stands:cool:

robutacion
16th November 2007, 05:25 PM
Hi everyone,

I have seen some good goblet turning on YouTube. Don't ask me where they all are, as I didn't kept any link of them. A search under "woodturning" should give a few, but I remember that some were a link from a link to a link:oo::?, yeah I know. If I find any of them, I will let you guys know.

Thanks ss_11000, for your decision to stay. Thanks also for keeping your donation offer, on.

As promised, I got some more logs (blanks) available, another 10 of them for now. There are still 5 logs left from the first 12, so people, don't be shy, this wouldn't hurt at all. So ladies, be brave and join to the "bunch". Time to show how its done, huh?:D

All 20 logs are fumigated and ready to go. The dark colour on the end of the logs, was explained on one of my posts of yesterday.

RBTCO

Frank&Earnest
16th November 2007, 06:39 PM
OK, no posting then. It would not have changed your method, though: it would have been exactly the same for the other 2 judges, but they would have had the added information of your visual check. Must find another way to contribute, then:) Edited: simple: $20 as third prize?

Did'nt Funkychicken want in also?

robutacion
16th November 2007, 08:48 PM
Hello again,

Frank&Earnest, if you got a spare $20.00, I would much prefer that you use that money to purchase something that could be useful to the average turner. There are dozens of items that wouldn't exceed the $20.00, and would be a great help for any beginner. Thinking on some everyday stuff used by a wood turner, what about something like a combination box of sandpaper grits, I've seen some kits with 5 or 6 different grits on a single box, for about that sort of money. Something like that would be an excellent prize to receive, just my opinion!

I'm glad also, that you did mention the name of Funkychicken, as I missed it last night when I tried to catch-up with the forum. Surprised that anyone else didn't pick it up before, until you mention it to me just before. I knew that was someone that I was waiting for confirmation, and that is Thefixer, but I totally missed Funckychicken. If you are on line mate, my honest apologies, it was not intentional, I've made a mistake and for that I'm truly sorry. I need you to pick another log number, as #3 was selected by Switt775, a couple of posts before yours. I will be adding you on the list, waiting for some confirmation from you. A PM will follow in a moment to make sure we are OK.

PARTICIPANTS LIST :
9- Funkychicken ---------------- 2

The following list of names, are those who have already provided their Postal address information, and are going to have their logs (blanks) posted on the Monday. SS_11000, Pat, Thankstand, Robyn2839, Harry72, Funkychicken and Switt775. Thanks guys.

Just a NOTE before I close this post. Any personal information provided to me during this process, will be removed (deleted) from my computer, immediately after the address information is given to me. Before that information deletion, I am writing each ones info in a piece of paper, and this same piece of paper will be glued to the relevant parcel (log owner), so there will be no trace of what that information was, after the parcels are posted.

RBTCO

Pat
16th November 2007, 09:42 PM
You Tube Vids

Goblet with Captive Rings (Maybe a tad advanced for us:))

Eccentric Goblet ( Still a tad advanced . . .)

Here's something more in keeping with my experince level . . .
Long, thin-stem Goblets (http://www.woodartbydan.com/projects/goblets2.pdf)(not a vid, but explains things in simple language)

A Wine Glass (http://marleyturned.com/id110.htm) . . . (Looks like a goblet to me . . . )

Lastly a treatise (http://wnywoodturners.com/articles/lsgobfs/longstem.htm) on turning Goblets . . .

funkychicken
16th November 2007, 10:35 PM
I'll take number 2 then, if it's not too cracked.

And of course it's all good robutacion, no offense taken.

PM about to be sent

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th November 2007, 01:29 AM
This is gonna be interesting. :U Pity I can't come out and play. :C

robutacion
17th November 2007, 01:53 AM
Hi guys,
Check this out, this goblet have started out, with a similar piece to what you guys are going to get, don't worry about the ring, so have fun!

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ww_other/article/0,2049,DIY_14443_2492612,00.html

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ww_other/article/0,2049,DIY_14443_2492666,00.html

Just do a Google world search on "goblet turning" and you get more than you can read and see. The above links come from the start of page 1, so grab a drink and start clicking...!

RBTCO

robutacion
17th November 2007, 02:57 AM
Hi Skew,
I just read your post, don't be so disappointed, as your dreams can soon come through. :Dhahahah
I will probably, in a near future, do a similar thing for the "big guns".
I will be taken special attention to who, will be going to "run for cover".:; hahahahahahahahah

RBTCO

TePe
17th November 2007, 07:31 AM
Hi folks.

Just been browsing this thread, interesting challenge for some. Don't do many goblets any more, people ask for other things.

Here's a photo of one of the last I did about 2 years ago. (Apart from my avatar, that is) http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd153/wood2turn/UKwood/uk01/th_genie.jpg (http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd153/wood2turn/UKwood/uk01/genie.jpg)
The timber is Laburnum.

May be a bit of inspiration for some, or an idea to work on.

switt775
17th November 2007, 10:51 AM
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd153/wood2turn/UKwood/uk01/th_genie.jpg

I move that anyone in the challenge who produces something remotely this good be disqualified. Having never turned a goblet before, I'm aiming for "don't break it before it's finished".

Or if you do break it, make it look like you meant to...

benji79
17th November 2007, 01:28 PM
Hey guys, I got my lathe for crissy last year so I havent had to much experience, Ive done a couple of goblets so far (and snapped a few as well). If its still available ill take #4 and have a go.

Benji.

Ps. please no paying me out if I snap it and you get a photo of two half goblets :D:rolleyes:

wheelinround
17th November 2007, 01:45 PM
Nice to see this thread and how its progressed a top idea.

There are many crafts that do such as this LOML has just got her Scaf Exhange stuff back
to run like it like they do would be harder. Each person sends fibre to a handling place (each year is different) then it is sorted and mailed out to someone else. Where they then have to spin and produce (used to be a scarf has grown to just about anything) mail it back and get your own back finished. http://www.coloniallakebooks.com.au/scarfexchange/

I wish all participants :2tsup:

Frank&Earnest
17th November 2007, 03:15 PM
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd153/wood2turn/UKwood/uk01/th_genie.jpg

I move that anyone in the challenge who produces something remotely this good be disqualified. Having never turned a goblet before, I'm aiming for "don't break it before it's finished".

Or if you do break it, make it look like you meant to...

... which raises an interesting question: are we allowed to use only the lathe? I would have a snowball chance in hell to turn a piece like that, but I could give it a go if I can carve it. Rules, please?!

robutacion
17th November 2007, 04:19 PM
G'day everyone,

TePe,
Thanks for your words and post.
I'm familiar with your work, and this particular piece you showing to us, is indeed a beautiful example of what a goblet can be. I am not expecting nor reasonable to expect this group to produce something like that. The goblet that I'm expecting and requesting this group of participants to produce, is a much simpler (less complicated) form of goblet. Lets be real here, and with due respect to everyone, 80% of the "top guns", wouldn't produce such a piece. So challenge participants, don't worry, be courageous but not silly:oo:, I will keep an eye on the "competitors fairness", the best way I can. :detective:

Switt775,
You're be alright, mate :U

benji79,
Thanks, you're on!
Don't forget to sent me a PM with the address details.

Weelinround,
Thank you for your kind words. I will do my best to make this challenge trouble free, and fun for everyone. Yeah, you're right, this has been done before, (kind off) and many other great ideas like the one your wife is involved to, with great success. Is always a matter of who is prepared to start it. Simple ideas tent to work always well.

PARTICIPANTS LIST :

9- Funkychicken ----------------- 2
10- Benji79 ----------------------- 4

- waiting for postal address

Remember, there are still 12 logs (blanks) available from the 20 so far on offer. Numbers 5 and 11 from the first lot are available, as also the logs from 13 to 20. Come on, boys and girls, have a go. There are still lots of people I know in this forum group, that classify for this challenge.

I would like also to "remind", that the prizes basket, is a bit empty still, so any donations would be appreciated. The purpose of this challenge, is not about winning material prizes, but it makes the all process a lot more exciting, when some "goodies" are for the taken!

Frank&Earnest,
Thank you for your enquiry.
I would like to keep things simple, and also keep in mind what is expected from this group of turners, and why.
I have no doubt that some people are quick learners and capable of great things in a short time frame, but on the other hand, how many people would equip their tool shed with every tool and accessory to work in conjunction with the wood lathe, in the first weeks and/or months of their new wood turning passion?
The very basic lathe and chisels (which is what most of this turners group have), is sufficient to create a variety of simple and normal form goblets, so I believe reasonable, to confine the making of these goblets, to basic lathe and chisels, sandpaper and finish coatings. (no routers, carving, etc).
It will be, one day the opportunity to use all that stuff on a challenge a few steps up!

If you got any other enquires, please just let me know.

Cheers :2tsup:
RBTCO

Frank&Earnest
17th November 2007, 05:34 PM
Ok, it will be hard using the skew chisel, the spindle gouge and the 60 grit gouge, but I can carve with them then!:D

Address sent, thanks.

weisyboy
17th November 2007, 05:59 PM
do i qualify?

had a gmc for 3 years thing never worked good enough to make anything. should never have baught that blasted thing:doh:

iv only had a lathe for 2 months now. and have never tried a goblet only ever done are bowls.:no:

well how bout it?

if its ok ill take #18:2tsup:

TePe
17th November 2007, 08:35 PM
Hi RBTCO, didn't expect a beginner to turn out something like that goblet, just chucked it in to give a idea of what can be done, and not necessary completed on a lathe. :B

The goblet in my last post was 9" high and came from a article in the Woodturning mag. a few years ago. I have made a few over the years, but no two the same, thankfully! :rolleyes: They are not hard to do, just time consuming, and a lot of hand work. As has already been said the stem is hand carved. I used a Proxon grinder with a carbide bit.

The original artist, his site, and my inspiration if anyone is interested Nikos Siragas (http://www.siragas.gr/)
Good luck to all who take part in this challenge.

slopech4
17th November 2007, 09:43 PM
Hi RBTCO

I would love to give it a go...

I have been turning for less than a month.

Could I take #5 if it is still available..

Slopech4

robutacion
17th November 2007, 10:48 PM
Hi all,

Frank&Earnest,
Sorry mate!

Weisyboy,
I reckon, anyone that puts up with a GMC for 3 years, deserves a medal. As I mention previously, is not the amount of time, you had the lathe for, that counts. You will know better than anyone else, where your skill levels are. A bit of "self" modesty goes a long way, and that is what I am expecting forum members to exercise, before they make the decision to participate. After all, this can be a fun exercise for everyone, so you're on. Send me a PM with address info.

TePe,
Thanks for providing Nikos web link, is always something to learn!
I understand and appreciate you providing one of your pieces as an example, but I had to make sure that participants wouldn't think or expect, that they had to do something like that, not this time, yet.:D

Slopech4,
You're on, don't forget to PM with your postal info.

PARTICIPANTS LIST :
11- Weisyboy -------------------- 18

12- Slopech4 --------------------- 5

Thanks everyone, for sending the requested information, so promptly. Most appreciated.

RBTCO

robutacion
18th November 2007, 01:16 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been trying to find a sample goblet, to give you guys and idea of what style and looks, I'm expecting to see from this challenge. I remembered that I had in my computer folder under "goblet samples", pics of what I wanted to show you. I have tried but I can't find exactly from where they come from, and who is the maker, as I wanted to request permission to display the pic on this forum.
So, if the pic owner is anyone from this forum, or someone you know, please let me know immediately, so that I can find out, if the pic is OK to be displayed or not. In the mean time, I believe that the timber used, has a good chance to be the same tree species as to the one I'm providing. From pieces I made with this timber, the colouration is exactly the same, with the yellow making a nice contrast.
So fellows, make something like this (dozens of Small variations possible), and you will be right!

RBTCO

Soren
18th November 2007, 04:14 PM
Having only had a late for less than a year, and the majority of my turning has been to try and make handles for the chisels, could I please try for lucky 13 !

robutacion
18th November 2007, 06:30 PM
Hello peoples,

You're on Soren, thanks for the address details.
I hope you are not superstitious, cause log 13 on 13 entry place #, is kinda spooky, huh?. Maybe it means something...! we will soon find out!:oo:

PARTICIPANTS LIST :

13 - Soren ----------------------- 13

If anyone has any questions, please don't be shy.
I would advise and/or recommend you to practise a bit before you start using the real thing. You should try to practise on similar type log. Look for tree branches around 3" diameter with thin bark and approx 6" long. Any type of fruit tree is good as also some gum, wattles, and many of native timbers, there are not to light or lack of density. Turning green would be easier to get the "how's to".

The logs still available are; from the first lot #11, from the second lot, #14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, and 22.

Another issue that I will be discussing soon, is how to set up your photographic stand, lights, background, etc., cheaply and quickly, so stay tune.

RBTCO

BernieP
18th November 2007, 06:50 PM
G'Day You lucky lot

My little bit of help a link that is very helpful
http://www.woodartbydan.com/projects/goblets2.pdf

I look forward to seeing your efforts.

Cheers
Bernie

robutacion
18th November 2007, 07:49 PM
Hi BernieP,
Thanks for your link, the guys will appreciate it.

RBTCO

Mrs Woodpecker
18th November 2007, 08:16 PM
As an Australia Post regular user, I can let you all know that a plastic red postal bag that can be loaded to 3 kgs, costs $9 and can be sent Australia wide. All the timber we bought in Tassie was sent this way and proved the most economical. Hope this helps all.
I am very interested in the concept put forward. I have not yet tried a goblet and I guess this is a good way to get started.
Regards,
Shirley

Mrs Woodpecker
18th November 2007, 08:21 PM
Oops - I have just read the posts right through and the criteria puts me out. I have been learning for 2 years. Have fun all you beginners. I will try a goblet though, just for the hell of it.
cheers, Shirley

thefixer
18th November 2007, 09:47 PM
G'day RBTCO

I got your PM today.

The reason I decided not to enter is, although I have been turning for only a comparitively short time I have done several goblets. I would never dream of placing myself anywhere near the league of turners such as SKEW and CLIFF ROGERS just to name a couple. But I have turned some fairly nice goblets so in that vein I think it would not be fair to others who have not done any goblets at all.
See pics

Cheers
Shorty

robutacion
18th November 2007, 11:40 PM
Mrs Woodpecker,
I've been hoping and waiting for some expression of interest from some of forum ladies, and your first post, gave me great satisfaction. I would like to request that you forget the second post, and reconsider your decision. I am sure that your participation would be greately appreciated by all the other participants, as it would be my pleasure to supply to you the timber for that first goblet. Sorry, but I'm not going to let you go that easier, so I will add your name on the list, and wait for you to let us know what log number you whish. Don't forget also to send me a PM with your postal address details, thanks :D.
PS: I will be using COD and that AUS. POST bag, but the cost will be $9.30 not $ 9.00.

Thefixer,
You obviously did understand what I'm trying to do, your decision the stay out of the challenge, follow the concept of self modesty I expressed/requested previously, therefore your decision is appreciated and will be respected.
Thank you also for responding to my PM.

PARTICIPANTS LIST :
13- Soren ------------------------ 13
14- Mrs Woodpecker ------------ 11

RBTCO

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th November 2007, 11:42 PM
I would never dream of placing myself anywhere near the league of turners such as SKEW and CLIFF ROGERS just to name a couple.

Thank you for the compliment but I'm far from being an expert. Trust me on this. :U I just like to experiment a lot and find out why things work (or not) and try to pass along what I've learned so others don't have the same catastrophic failures. :roll:

Frank&Earnest
19th November 2007, 12:15 AM
Thank you for the compliment but I'm far from being an expert. Trust me on this. :U I just like to experiment a lot and find out why things work (or not) and try to pass along what I've learned so others don't have the same catastrophic failures. :roll:

This from the guy who has just won a prize for a... wait for it... goblet!
(Congratulations, by the way.) We would appreciate more your modesty if it did not imply that we are so much further from being experts...:D

robutacion
19th November 2007, 12:59 AM
Skew ChiDAMN - Frank&Earnest,
I knew that Skew was doing a piece(s) for some competiton, but I didn't know anything about the results, so Skew, what was the prize, and what was the piece (goblet, according to F&E) that got awarded?
PS: Sorry Skew, I've just seen your thread about Lilydale show.

Expertise, is not something that easy to define, and most of the time gets very confused with experience. Both work well together, but mean completely different things. Recognition of one or the other, by others, is never a easy task, and is our fatal mistake to under estimate ones own capabilities. Better again, the human necessity to be "petted on the back" by others, tents to overcome the simple fact that, one deserves more often than not, to pet himself on his own back, unfortunately we don't do enough of that !:oo::?

RBTCO

Mrs Woodpecker
19th November 2007, 07:46 AM
No 11 thanks. :)

TTIT
19th November 2007, 08:40 AM
I can donate a couple of Central Qld blanks as a prize/s. Was thinking I could send them direct to the winner/s to save double handling.
Beefwood. Emu Apple, Sally wattle etc. Sized by prize level perhaps!?

robutacion
19th November 2007, 10:23 AM
Thanks TTIT,
Your donation is most appreciated.
I wouldn't accept it in any other way, I will accept as much as people are willing to donate, on the competitors behalf, but donations are going directly from the donor to the prize winner, it wouldn't make any sense not to.

RBTCO

Frank&Earnest
19th November 2007, 12:20 PM
Re prizes: In our enthusiasm, we are running the risk of making Australia Post our biggest prize winner. Nothing wrong with that, only that everybody would be better off if we spread our generosity effectively, keeping in mind future challenges: if we do this right, the idea has a future.

May I suggest that all partecipants (and sponsors:wink:) be assumed to be willing to contribute according to their possibilities, either now or in the future, and keep the prize pool proportionate to this friendly challenge?

No harm in pledging now for the future, but if we have already:

* 1 big pack of timber to be sent to the winner of the 1st prize;

* 1 medium pack of timber for 2nd prize;

* 10 pen blanks for 3rd prize;

* turning consumables worth $20 for 4th prize;

IMHO this is about right. 4 prizes, 4 postage fees, 1 in 4 or 5 is a winner,
any further pledges should be stored for future challenges.

weisyboy
19th November 2007, 04:08 PM
sounds good. F&E

i agree that this kind of thing as a future. there is no need to go overboard with prises im sure all (or most) of the people that have sighned up would do it without any prise.

robutacion
19th November 2007, 04:56 PM
Hi everyone,
Unfortunately, our last decision to use COD (Cash on delivery) for payment of posting the Logs (blanks) to everyone, end up with a big argument at the post office. What happen was that i went this afternoon to the post office with 13 raped logs and all the paper work, to post the parcels to everyone. I grabbed a hand full of 3kg red bags and went to a conner to fill up all the stuff, put the right log into the right bag, bla, bla, bla... An hour later I walked to the counter with 12 sealed bags, ready to go, just to be told that I had to pay for every single one, as the 3kg limit bag Australia wide for $9.30, is not accepted for COD. Indeed any prepaid bag, is not suitable for COD, and this was the case with these bags. So and after some colourful dispute, was no other option then pay the all lot with my own money. Obviously, I've learn something today.
Anyway, the parcel are on the way, so I apologise for having to change our parcel payment agreement, and request that the payment of $9.30 me made to me, by bank direct deposit. I will next PM everyone and provide my bank details. I was OK with this option from the very beginning, and that is not the problem, I'm more annoyed with the Aust. Post rules in this matter.:((

Frank&Earnest,
I agree totally with the first sentence of your previous post, but I'm not sure if I agree with the rest!. mainly the second paragraph.
There is no doubt in my mind, that this idea has a future, nor I doubt that while I'm responsible (organiser) of this particular challenge, nothing less than complete success is acceptable.
Obviously, for me to be able to reach my objectives, is imperative that I'm allowed to set the rules I feel necessary while in progress. No two minds think a like, and we all have different ways to do things, so please, can I be allowed to finish what I have started?

Gee:no:, hummmm, please Frank, take no offence, I thing the scene at the post office this afternoon, have sharpen my knife just a bit to sharp...! I always call it the way I see it, believe me, it does hurt like hell most of the time!. I'm going to make myself a coup of coffee, and go for a walk outside and get some air...!:doh:

RBTCO

benji79
19th November 2007, 06:22 PM
Hey RBTCO, bad luck about the mix up and I think I speak for everyone hear when I say thanks heaps for footing the bill and especially for organising the whole thing. I wouldnt stress to much mate, its your party and you organise it how you want :2tsup:.

Benji

Calm
19th November 2007, 06:39 PM
RBTCO,

Keep up the good work. It is your idea and you should run it your way. Then next time someone else wants to do it they can add their own ideas.

It is only by someone willing to put their ideas up that these things get started at all. Your idea might not be perfect but it is your idea. You are not forcing anyone to play.

Keep up the good work. If you like I will find something in the way of Blackwood to help with the prizes. Maybe option of Bowl blank, small slab or pen or goblet blanks.

You've got my vote for havin a go:2tsup::2tsup:

robutacion
20th November 2007, 12:03 AM
weisyboy,
I can't blame people for being sceptical and doubtful when they are offered something for nothing in return, we don't see that often anymore. And you're maybe right, when you say that probably most people from this "selected" group, would participate for nothing, maybe so but, indeed the prizes donated by the forum's members and on offer to the participants, are a secondary reward for the best scored participants and a good incentive for those more intimidated to have a go . The main prize and the most important reward it will come from each and everyone's own creation (goblet), and that is the reason why wood turning is so self satisfying...! Nevertheless, I wish that he had a prize for every participant of this "group". Maybe, one day...!

Thanks benji79 and Calm, four your kind words, I'm pleased that the idea was so well accepted by most members. Is my responsibility to make sure, I will take it right to the end.

Calm,
Is no point in asking me, if I want to accept any sort of donation for the participants, because I have only one answer, "yes please".
They are never too much, each one will find someone to go to. Please remember that, with any donation will incur to the donor the costs also of sending the item(s) to the selected winner, so keep that in mind.

I would like also to say thank you for everyone's understanding of today's Aust. Post mess up, and for the prompt response (bank deposit) already completed by some participants. Most appreciated.

RBTCO

ss_11000
20th November 2007, 12:32 AM
well, yeah - thanx for all your hard work mate and all the prize donators donations( i like the sound of verns prize:D ).

i will deposit the money tommorrow but give it a few days to go thru to your account :)

Harry72
20th November 2007, 01:44 AM
No worrys RBTCO, deposit will be made tomorow.

Frank&Earnest
20th November 2007, 09:54 AM
My apologies for appearing to be overbearing RBTCO, I sometimes tend to do that, the same as you tend to fly off the handle... No offence taken on my part, hope the same on yours.:)

robutacion
20th November 2007, 12:12 PM
Hi everyone,

Frank&Earnest,
OK, I admit with some matters my fuse is very short and I'm a very direct person, among my generous nature, so let's put this matter to rest, I accept your apology.

Now that the logs (blanks), are on their way, lets talk about possible situations. I have explained in my first post, what the timber is, the drying time, humidity content, dimensions, ends condition, packaging method, etc. I'm not expecting any problems while in transit, but I can never be sure, if any of the logs become unworkable, due to natural reactions and/or stress from changes of environment conditions, etc. The total length of each log, will allow for 2 shorter goblets (only one required) , or one long stem goblet. I have already made my recommendation to what style goblet I would expect, nevertheless long thin stem goblets are allowed to anyone that wants to risk the one off blank. It is possible that some logs can develop some long nasty cracks at the end(s), making it impossible to make 2 goblets, even if only one counts. Removing the cracked (damaged) ends, you can end up with only enough timber to make 1 goblet, maybe just long enough ( or not) for a long stem, if that was what you had in mind. In this case, you will have no choice them make a short stem goblet (as recommended), and no spare . This is possible and acceptable, what will not be acceptable is if the full log supplied, cracks straight through, making it useless. If this happens, and after I see some documenting pictures, don't worry I will supply you with another log (blank), guarantied. So keep this in mind, I want everyone to have good timber for at least one goblet.

RBTCO

David Mitchell
20th November 2007, 10:26 PM
I will have a go no 11 if still available or any other piece if any still available
regards D M:2tsup::)

robutacion
20th November 2007, 10:59 PM
Hi,
David Mitchell,
Welcome to this challenge, unfortunately the log # 11, has been taken by Mrs Woodpecker. Due to the fact that you don't mind of any available log (blank), I will give you the log #15, which is your participant number on the list. I will be sending you shortly, a PM with the post payment details. Thanks.

PARTICIPANTS LIST :
13- Soren ------------------------ 13
14- Mrs Woodpecker ------------ 11
15- David Michell ---------------- 15

Just a reminder that the challenge deadline (2 pictures in) is on the 17 December 2007 and you can apply for participation at any time, taking into account the time that will take for the parcel (log/blank) to get to you. There are still plenty of logs left. From the first lot of 12, is none left, from the second lot of 10, the following number are still available, # 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22.

RBTCO

robutacion
21st November 2007, 06:54 PM
Hi everyone,

The names attached are of those applicants, that my Bank has confirmed payment, buy 21-11-2007 at 6:pm;

* Funkychiken
* Weisboy
* Soren
+ Slopech4
* Switt775
* Benji79
* SS_11000
* Pat
*5099 ? (not sure who's payment is, only received this payment #)

To all these people so far, thank you.

RBTCO

David Mitchell
21st November 2007, 10:26 PM
I will deposit money tomorrow thanks D M:2tsup::)

Frank&Earnest
21st November 2007, 10:30 PM
Hi everyone,

The names attached are of those applicants, that my Bank has confirmed payment, by 21-11-2007 at 6:pm;

If :p means p, CBA has been slack.:D

robutacion
21st November 2007, 11:46 PM
Hi,

Frank&Earnest,
I've got no idea how :p got on my previous post, but yes, the :p appeared instead of a "p":no:.
I wouldn't be too worried about the CBA, banks do that all the time!

The next issue is about, preparing the background to take pictures of your work. I could be giving many other examples of how this is done, but I decided to give a detailed description and explanation, of the way I'm doing it at the moment. Is easier to go this way, as I will be able to show actually pictures of my set-up, knowing that works very well, is cheap to do, and most importantly, it can be set up in just a few minutes, so here it goes;

* MAKING A BACKGROUND "SCREEN".
- The material I used to construct the "screen", was a ready cut 1200mmx600mm of 3mm MDF raw board, also known as "backing board" if painted white on one side , available everywhere. The measurements are 600mm X 600mm, which is the original piece cut into to 2 equal parts. The "hinge" is a series of 5mm holes, 10mm from the edge, and small zip ties. Is no limit on the # of holes you can make, but i would recommend at least, a dozen or so. Make sure you have the 2 panels together, so that the holes match both panels. While you got the panels together, drill a 1" hole or so, in the centre and close to the to edge, this will make moving it around easy, with the help of one finger.
The colour and/or material used to dress the inside screen, was a textured beige wall paper, but it could be anything you want, from simple paint, wall paper, and/or in my case, an old bed sheet (satin ones are more effective). Various colours will work, apart from those similar with timber, as a contrast is necessary to make it work well. For a base, any flat surface will do, in my case is a table. Another possibility is to use a small box, plastic container, etc,. end put it in the centre of your base, under the material you are using to cover the base, as a elevated base for the piece you want to photograph, as shown in one of the pictures bellow.

To be continued...

robutacion
22nd November 2007, 12:22 AM
* Dressing the screen and base
As mention previously, different colours and materials can be used, I find that covering both (screen & base) with the same material, is more effective, nevertheless, you can have the screen in one colour and the base in different colour. I did also mention before, the flat base and elevated base, the following pics demonstrate just that.

* Lighting possibilities
Obviously, camera flash will be used in most cases, but extra lighting is most cases is an absolute must. You can have the proper stage or photographic spotlights, but those are very expensive and in most of our needs, an "over kill", so other less expensive options are readily available such as the common known "home flash light" as per the picture bellow. This light, or most of the extra lights, work best by being set directly above the object to photograph, to void shadows. In my case (pictures below), and because I had the table (base) just bellow the ceiling light, I replaced the normal bulb, with a spotlight bulb matching the original (ceiling) type of light mount.

To be continued...

robutacion
22nd November 2007, 01:04 AM
* Positioning your work for the picture
- The 2 most common pictures taken by wood turners, are the frontal (pic 3) and the elevated pic (pic 1). These are mainly taken 1.5 to 2 meters from the object, using the zoom and to void flash reflection from the camera. To achieve steady clear shots, the use of a tripod and the camera timer, does make a big difference. If you don't have a tripod, use anything stable that you cam put the camera on.

This is basically the way I take the pictures of my turned pieces. There are many other possibilities equally successful, if you thing my way is applicable to you, you are more than welcome to reproduce it, be my guest, I'm only trying to help!

ATTENTION - ATTENTION - ATTENTION - PLEASE

I will also use this opportunity, while the subject is pictures to inform every participant of this challenge that, the limit of pictures required have increased to 5 (five), maximum forum post limit. Please try to keep their resolution at 800x600 or so. There is no minimum size for the finished goblet, nor the size will have any influence for the final scoring, but I will make it compulsory that each participant will have to provide 1 (one) picture with a normal "BIC" cigarette lighter (any colour), beside the turned goblet, as per pic (2). This will give to us all, a close idea of the goblet real size.

Hope this information to be of some use to you, if you require any further explanations, do not hesitate to contact me.

RBTCO

ss_11000
22nd November 2007, 04:57 PM
got the wood today:)

thanx mate. next week i will hopefully turn the goblet. but probably the week after:shrug:

cheers

weisyboy
22nd November 2007, 05:11 PM
i do not have a bic lighter and do not wish to go out and buy one just for this and i know others will be in the same situation.

how about we use sompthing that everyone will have like a "AA" Batery?

ss_11000
22nd November 2007, 05:52 PM
i do not have a bic lighter and do not wish to go out and buy one just for this and i know others will be in the same situation.

yeah, what he said ( know one around my place smokes so we dont have any )

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd November 2007, 06:16 PM

What makes you think everyone has AA batteries? :?:p

weisyboy
22nd November 2007, 06:51 PM
if you have a tv or a torch you have "AA" batteries.

Pat
22nd November 2007, 07:05 PM
Hello RBTCO, I received my lump of wood today:U. I have put it in my shed to acclimatise for a week or so. I'll reread your tips for photoing and try my best in both pursuits. I know what shape goblet I want, but wether I can turn it is another thing:roll:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd November 2007, 08:38 PM
if you have a tv or a torch you have "AA" batteries.

My torch takes D cells and my TV has a power cord... :p