PDA

View Full Version : ca glue and baking soda trick

old_picker
15th November 2007, 08:51 PM
any one tried this to fill a too deep nut slot?

oz tradie
15th November 2007, 10:32 PM
No but I'm all ears. What does this combination do?
Turn into some sort of plastic composite? I'm intrigued.

(And Ray, the amp is effin great..........and bloody loud:oo:)

Cheers, Stu

Sir Stinkalot
15th November 2007, 10:36 PM
I tried it recently after reading about it on these forums and it seems to work well. It accelarates the drying time and also acts a filler. Only problem is that it ends up as a white blob of solid fill. Ok if it cant be seen but not much good if visible.

rhoads56
16th November 2007, 12:38 AM
It doesnt need to be baking soda. ANY dust will work, including bone dust, graphite, tusq, etc etc.

old_picker
16th November 2007, 08:54 AM
tried it and worked a treat
i cut a slot slightly too deep and just dropped some baking soda in the slot a dab of liquid ca and it went like off very hard in a few seconds
filed the slot back a bit, polished with 800 grit and it fixed the problem

as perry says i you could use anything, but the ca and baking soda kind of reacts and goes off really quick - you prolly have to wait a bit for other material to go off - like Sir Stinkalot says it is white and needs a little touch up with some back paint or texta - the nut is black CF - if it was bone or tusq it might need a little more fiddle to cover it up

it tricky dobbing a tiny bit of CA in that slot without getting it everywhere :oo:

contrebasse
16th November 2007, 09:10 AM
ebony sanding dust and CA is great for filling and hiding cracks/splits/tearout in a DB fingerboard, too.

Paul B
16th November 2007, 12:37 PM
Works fine, I've used it on a bone nut.

Wouldn't use it on a nut that wasn't made of bone, ivory, or tusq tho. The colours wouldn't match and it'd look amatuerish.