PDA

View Full Version : Tambour Clock

pal
16th November 2007, 11:44 AM
Although not in the strictest sense a box I thought you may be interested in it. I used kiri obtained from John at http://www.paulownia-timber-sales.com.au/ . The clock insert came from Jonathan Knowles. It is 570 mm L x 250 mm H x 105 mm D . I glued up a block roughly the shape that I wanted then cut it out on the band saw then sanded it down on the lynisher / disk and drum sander. Cut and shaped two piece 5 mm thick to fit the front and back, I did it in this order as the kiri is very easy to bruise and didn't want to take the risk of gluing it to the rough block and cutting every thing in one go, that done I cut and thicknessed a piece down to 1.5 mm to bend over the top . Used Contact adhesive to glue that in place. Laid the case on it's back on waxed paper on a nice flat surface and started at top center and worked to either end . It bent to shape without any problems.Cut and glued the base and feet on and sanded back to 400. Then the damm compressor finally gave up the ghost so waited until that was repaired to finish it I used Cabot's new teak matt stain. Not very happy with the finish it ended up splotchy, no idea what went wrong but she who must be obeyed is happy with it says it makes it look old. Bad mistake was gluing it up before staining it will know better next time.

artme
17th November 2007, 10:35 AM
My first thought on the fisrt photo was that it looked old if not exactly antique. good effort!:):)

ravlord13
3rd December 2007, 10:52 PM
A great piece of work,
A clock that is sure to become an family heirloom.

Cheers ravlord

pal
4th December 2007, 04:32 PM
Hi ravlord thank you for the encouragement. Have to admit as the stain gets older it doesn't look as splotchy it seems to be slowly blending in.

ravlord13
4th December 2007, 05:07 PM
G'Day Pal,
Did you use a comercial plan or is it one of your own.
How do you think your construction method would work on a hard timber like blackwood?
You have given me the incentive to may be try one similar.
Cheers Ravlord

pal
5th December 2007, 08:55 AM
Hi Ravlord, It is a plan I drew up myself , just worked on 3 circles with a 115 mm radius. I have never tried to bend blackwood so i don,t know if it would take a cold bend of that radius .Blackwood is suitable for steam bending .
This is from Wikipedia
Acacia melanoxylon
The wood is very good for many uses including furniture, tools, boats, and wooden kegs. It is of about the same quality as walnut and it is well-suited for shaping with steam.

Regards

pal