PDA

View Full Version : A sad day

Andy Mac
17th November 2007, 01:00 PM
A very sad day here, my little mate Spud, the Jack Russell, died after eating half a cane toad. :C I wasn't here to see it but he went down in about 15-20minutes despite my wife racing him to the vet. I was out in the yard earlier with him, where he was helping me excavate...his favourite game. So I just buried him, next his mother, and it was very lonely digging a hole without him sticking his nose in.

RIP Spuddy.

mic-d
17th November 2007, 01:14 PM
very sad to hear that news Andy, my sympathies.

regards
Michael

wheelinround
17th November 2007, 01:18 PM
:C sorry Andy

ss_11000
17th November 2007, 01:53 PM
sorry to hear Andy:C

RufflyRustic
17th November 2007, 01:54 PM
Aw geez Andy :C:C:C

ptc
17th November 2007, 01:59 PM
sorry to hear another mate has left us.

Wood Butcher
17th November 2007, 02:09 PM
Really sorry to hear that Andrew!

Andy Mac
17th November 2007, 04:12 PM
Thanks guys. We've had him for over 10yrs, older than Ruby our middle child so she's known him all her life. He was good snake dog and killed at least 3 brown snakes in the yard, so I'll miss that reassurance. Jack Russells just have to kill things, and I was always worried it would be a poisoned rat or a snake that did him in....bl**dy cane toads:((

Take care,

DJ’s Timber
17th November 2007, 04:39 PM
Sorry to hear this Andy, may he RIP with his mother

watson
17th November 2007, 06:23 PM
Sorry Andy........can't say anything more....miss dogs forever.

fred.n
17th November 2007, 06:37 PM
Sorry to hear that sad news mate

Ivan in Oz
17th November 2007, 06:55 PM
Sorry to hear that Andy.
Hope you are going to get another...never to replace, just to fill the Void.

Lost my Best Girl [ A Staffoedshire B/T ]
to a DRUNK Hit AND Run driver one CHRISTMAS EVE:(
quite a few Years back.

Still seems like yesterday.

She was [ One of ]
the Best things my Kids ever had.

Glenn_M
17th November 2007, 08:01 PM
Sorry to hear that Andy. RIP Spud.

Glenn

pawnhead
18th November 2007, 01:30 AM
Sorry to hear that Andy :rip:

My little Jack Russel was bitten by a paralysis tick last week. He was in a bad way for a while, but fortunately he pulled through and he's back to his old hyperactive self now.

Bleedin Thumb
18th November 2007, 11:36 AM
Really sorry to hear that Andy, very sad news.

Woodlee
18th November 2007, 12:05 PM
A very sad day here, my little mate Spud, the Jack Russell, died after eating half a cane toad. :C I wasn't here to see it but he went down in about 15-20minutes despite my wife racing him to the vet. I was out in the yard earlier with him, where he was helping me excavate...his favourite game. So I just buried him, next his mother, and it was very lonely digging a hole without him sticking his nose in.

RIP Spuddy.

Andy ,
I have just been through the same heart wrenching ordeal .I know exactly what you are going through.
My sympathies go out to you .

We have the dreaded cane toad here now , and Im always in fear of my dog ,trying to kill one.(Huskys love to hunt and have a high prey drive like Jack Russels )
Especially my new dog as he came from south and has had no experience with them.
I don't get a lot in my yard as I've tried to toad proof it , but the occasional one gets through .

Kev

Bluegum
20th November 2007, 08:56 PM
Very sorry to hear Andy.

Koala-Man
21st November 2007, 09:04 AM
My sympathy.
Gaz.

The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's. - Mark Twain

Clinton1
21st November 2007, 11:32 AM
Sorry about that Andy... the little buggers truely do get into your heart don't they.....

Andy Mac
22nd November 2007, 09:38 AM
Thanks for your kind words. We're getting on with things but it is strange now, look outside expecting to see a little dog jumping at the fence.:( The other dog, an Old English sheepgirl, seems pretty lost. She paces around looking for something...but is copping more attention now. I don't think we'll get another JR unfortunately, as my wife wants to breed from this one, a pedigree, and will keep a pup. Too much work for this black duck!
I did some on-line research about JR's and cane toads. Apparently they, along with fox terriers, constitute 75% of dogs poisoned by cane toads (as taken to vets), followed by schnausers. Its a problem in Florida too.

Regards,

bitingmidge
22nd November 2007, 09:45 AM
I'm not sure if a little black levity is appropriate, but one of my favourite Leunig cartoons has a barbecue scene with a dog happily playing in some sort of detrius, and rather unsatisfied onlookers.

The caption reads: Spring is when the new dog digs up the old dog.

It may be a good thing if the new dog isn't a digger!

It's amazing how we miss the little buggers.

P

rgum
27th November 2007, 08:50 PM
God bless you spud. And your dad! I'm sooo sad. He's gorgeous.
Bloody foreign toads. I'll hug my JR and think of your Spud.
Sooooooory to hear.

Tony.

Geoff Dean
27th November 2007, 09:12 PM
Sorry to hear that Andy, may Spud go on to dig many big holes in doggy heaven.

I know what its like, losing Mardi (thats her on the right) to a snake about 5 months ago. And she was only 5 YO.

AL1
20th November 2008, 02:15 PM
Sorry to hear it Andy.
We've got a little Jack (girl)
She's getting on in years now but still loves the walks and digging holes with me in the garden. I've had to make that trip to the vets a couple of times. I know it's hard to lose em'. Keep the happy memories mate.

AL

flynnsart
20th November 2008, 05:26 PM
That is sad. I hate canetoads, we have quite a few. Our dogs dont show any interest in canetoads, have taught them that they are bities. I remember when neighbors lost their boxer to a canetoad, was horribly tragic.

Donna

pugwash
20th November 2008, 07:08 PM
My heartfelt sympathies Andy. Sleep well Spud.

JDarvall
22nd November 2008, 03:26 AM
sorry to here that mate.

WoodJunky
23rd November 2008, 12:06 AM
Very sorry to hear the bad news Andy.

My sympathies go out to you as well

.:rip: Spud

ubeaut
23rd November 2008, 08:52 AM
Well done folks... Way to rake up the memories.

The original post is over 12 mth old. The heartfelts would have been more appropriate then.

Please look at original thread dates before posting.