PDA

View Full Version : 034 AV not oiling

weisyboy
17th November 2007, 03:18 PM
i have a sthill 034 AV.

it is not oiling the bar is clean but the oil is not coming threw the from the tank. how can i clean it out?

i cannot find the oil adjuster on it ?

dose anyone have a manual?

BobL
17th November 2007, 06:12 PM
i have a sthill 034 AV.

it is not oiling the bar is clean but the oil is not coming threw the from the tank. how can i clean it out?
i cannot find the oil adjuster on it ?
dose anyone have a manual?

First question, what sort of oil are you using?

Empty out bar oil,
Rinse out oil tank a couple of times with some two stroke fuel (TSF) - give it a good shake. Empty and look in TSF to see if any gunk is coming out. If still gunky keep rinsing till clean
Fill oil tank with TSF and leave overnight. Empty and look in TSF to see if any gunk is coming out. If still gunky keep rinsing till clean.

If you are careful you can try and run the power head without bar and see if any TSF comes through.

If that doesn't work the oil pump is seriously gunked or broken.

Calm
17th November 2007, 06:23 PM
On my 660 the drive is behind the chain sproket.

Is that the same on your saw.

When i purchased this saw it was broken. It may be worth checking the drive if it has suddenly stoped pumping

weisyboy
17th November 2007, 07:38 PM
On my 660 the drive is behind the chain sproket.

Is that the same on your saw.

When i purchased this saw it was broken. It may be worth checking the drive if it has suddenly stoped pumping

i have always used normal engine oil in it.

is that the drive for the oil pump?

thaught about washing it with petrol (why 2 stroke).

calm where is the oil adjuster on your saw?

i cant for the life of me find it.

DJ’s Timber
17th November 2007, 07:50 PM
The oil adjuster is normally on the very bottom of the saw, in other words turn it upside down and there should be a hole (which is probably full of sawdust) just near the edge where the chain runs, which will have a slotted screw that you can turn about 3/4 qtrs of a revolution either way.

Not a good idea using normal engine oil as the the chain just flings it straight of when it gets to the end of the bar.

Okay to use on the Lucas style slabbers as these generally run at a slower speed therefore don't fling the oil off as bad as a higher revving CS

weisyboy
17th November 2007, 08:28 PM
checked underneath no holes.

checked everyware nothing to be seen.

the engine oil has seamed to work fine untill now.

BobL
17th November 2007, 08:36 PM
i have always used normal engine oil in it.

Some engine oil is OK but it really needs to be sticky because of what DJ says. But not TOO sticky otherwise doesn't flow at a high enough rate and you'll damage chain and bar and maybe even the oil pump!

RE: is that the drive for the oil pump?
Yep, it generally attaches to the sproket or clutch side of the crank.

RE:thaught about washing it with petrol (why 2 stroke).
Raw petrol is a pretty agressive solvent especially soaking overnight, TS fuel leaves an oily film behind. It probably OK - it's just what I do.

RE:calm where is the oil adjuster on your saw?
You may need to post your CS enquiry on the Aboriste site.

My guess is your drive is broken or stripped.

weisyboy
17th November 2007, 09:01 PM
i have been using deisel engine oil because i buy it in bulk for the dozer and tractors it is fairly thick.

will check the pump drive tomorow befor i waste time washing it out.

it needs a new set of gaskets as the oil is running out the join in the housing anyay so it needs to be pulled to bis and i will clean it etc, wile im at it.

Calm
17th November 2007, 09:08 PM
Remove the circlip and the chain drive sprocket and the next thing on the shaft is the oil pump drive. A little plastic bit. If you have used engine oil and it has stopped pumping the oil is not the problem. I agree there are better oils dont use sump oil that stuffs pumps but generall any oil is better than no oil.

The adjuster is about level with the shaft on the bottom of the saw and there is a little picture thing showing less or more the screw is down towards the centre from the picture

weisyboy
18th November 2007, 04:47 PM
mysteriously started oiling again?

i'v finaly had a stroke of good luck.

thanks for your help anyway.

BobL
18th November 2007, 05:08 PM
mysteriously started oiling again?

i'v finaly had a stroke of good luck.

thanks for your help anyway.

That sounds like a blockage that could occur anytime again - like right in the middle of cutting a slab. At a minimum I'd do the rinse thing with teo stronke fuel I described in one of my previous posts.