PDA

View Full Version : Who Buys at Craft Shows

MY TURN
18th November 2007, 10:39 PM
Good morning all

I am getting ready for my second (of 2 days) day of a local (100KM) craft show. I am the only woodturner and have noticed that the buyers range in the 25 to 40 years old. Is this the same elsewhere?

I do not about you, but why wife and I have to make an effort not to start laughing when we here " I'll look around and come back" "you donot charge enough" etc you know what I mean..:no:

But we go for the intelligent opinons and social interaction.

But one thing I noticed, you have to grab their attention. Its like fishing, a good baited hook get them every time.

Let you how the fishing, sorry the craft show goes today:boat2:

MT- sorry Gil , I mean Mike

robynmau
20th November 2007, 09:16 AM
Morning :roll:

Over here it's 'bargain hunters' of all ages, men and women both. Sure lots of picking up, putting down but I love talking to these people while they're looking. It also gives me the chance to catch up with people I haven't seen for a while, so quite a sociable experience:U

I also like to talk to other turners who have stalls at craft fairs / markets when I'm on holidays. Recently talked to a old fella at Bribie Island in Queensland. He was very forthcoming on how he made this fantastic 'foot' toilet roll holder [has special meaning to me as my son's knickname is 'foot'].

Cheers

Robyn

munruben
20th November 2007, 06:02 PM
Yep, love a good craft sale:):2tsup:

celeste
20th November 2007, 10:00 PM
Hi all

I love craft shows in the Eastern States, they're a bit crappy in Perth.

I usually try to time a visit to melb to see my family with a craft show!!:2tsup:

Celeste

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th November 2007, 11:45 PM
Craft shows? Love 'em!

Don't buy anything... but can spend hours browsing, looking for ideas to pinch. :B

OGYT
25th November 2007, 12:36 PM
Craft shows in the upover... most buyers are women... all ages... men usually hang back, unless they are interested in wooden things or woodworking in general. They'll buy if they have a particular gift to purchase... 'course, they'll get close if the lady tells them to.
I like to get the men talking some way... Are you a woodturner, sir?... Do you turn wood?... Woodworker, by chance?... something of the sort.. Then they'll open up and ask some questions, and you got 'em involved, while mama looks and feels.
Usually make a sale or two that way.
I usually have a piece that I've ruined, to show that something's happening once in a while to change the 'monotony' of it all... there's always some excitement. :)

MY TURN
26th November 2007, 11:02 AM
How many of you have had a dizzy tongue from turning it around 7 times in you month before saying something, until you realize that he or she is a potenial customer.

Stick out your tongue if you agree.:q

On another note, how many of you have ever posted on ETSY.com -I am a new member (Its My Turn)

While you have your tongues out, what type of responses did you get?

Mike from Canada