PDA

View Full Version : Gifkins 2nd Hand Pricing

Cruzi
18th November 2007, 11:44 PM
Have the opportunity to buy a Gifkins, its been barely used and has one template (A10).

What is reasonable price for this?

I do not want to rip this person off :no:

martink
19th November 2007, 01:06 AM
Have the opportunity to buy a Gifkins, its been barely used and has one template (A10).

What is reasonable price for this?

I do not want to rip this person off :no:

All depends - is this jig made from an aliminium extrusion or MDF. The one I have is the latest model and Rodger has changed this to aluminium instead of MDF. If it's the latest version then check Rog's web site for price and this should give you a guide.

Ciao,

M.

Cruzi
19th November 2007, 05:26 AM
Already looked at site and new ones are $299, this a MDF one.

Price of templates is putting me off a bit :oo:

Carry Pine
19th November 2007, 09:31 PM
Cruzi,

I recommend you go with the 2nd hand gifkins. The other templates are expensive but you can do a lot with the A10. Even small stuff with wide tails.
It is a relatively safe system (router in the table) and relatively cheap too when you consider all the add ons with other jigs. If you eventually find it limiting ( if you are building a large blanket box) you can always upgrade to a Leigh? and you will get your money back on the Gifkins.

Cheers,
Carry Pine

Cruzi
20th November 2007, 09:44 PM
Anyone want to venture a guesstimate for a price?

Can anyone remember the new price for MDF version?

Don't really need another jig, have good options already.

Carry Pine
21st November 2007, 07:51 PM
Cruzi,

Back in Dec '03, Dovetail jigs were reviewed in Aust Wood review. Gifkins (MDF version ) standard jig was $299 (don't know about the cutters but expect this included them) and masters package was $599.

CP

munruben
26th November 2007, 10:41 PM
Recently had a newsletter from Gifkins and he has the old blocks priced at $69 plus $11 postage. this price is for the block set up with backing boards, shims and locating pins but no stops. The stops are priced at $29 each . so all up this would cost from Gifkins $107.00 Templates are $173 each. and cutters would cost $86 for the two. so that comes out at $386.00 plus a bit more for postage of the additional items, say $14 bringing the total to $400.00 even.
so if the jig has the cutters and the stop included, I would thing a price of around the $200.00 would be a good buy. The price of the new Standard package from Gifkins is $299.00