PDA

View Full Version : Eco friendly finishes

charlieart66
19th November 2007, 07:16 AM
I have to use eco friendly finishes, I've got some beeswax and some oragoil(sp?) danish oil and some hard burnishing oil.

Any ideas about any others?

ubeaut
19th November 2007, 07:25 AM
What exactly do you mean by Eco Friendly. At lesat one you have there contains polyurethane.

charlieart66
19th November 2007, 07:34 AM
By eco friendly I mean doesnt hurt the earth.

Danish oil
http://www.organoil.com.au/danishoil/index.html

Burnishing oil
http://organoil.com/au_introduction.html

Which one has polyurethane?

Ian Wells
19th November 2007, 09:55 AM
Shellac, shellac, linseed, wax, shellac & shellac

charlieart66
19th November 2007, 10:03 AM
Shellac, shellac, linseed, wax, shellac & shellac

I always thought shellac to many coats to work well, I brought some stuff a while back?

And doesnt linseed tint the wood?

Thanks

astrid
19th November 2007, 10:26 AM
well you cant have everything:U
Ians list just about covers it for products commonly available.
there are other oils and waxes such as carnaubra wax and pure veg oils
they all involve hard work but the results are worth it.
The reason pollys and danish oils were invented was to provide fast hard solutions to finishes.
but they have an environmental downside
as I said, you cant have everything

cheers
Astrid

ps you can get a lovely finish on most timber with 3 coats of blond shellac and a good wax to finish.
shellac dries fast too

underused
19th November 2007, 11:42 AM
The most "eco friendly" or non toxic line of finishes I know, come from a German company called Kreidezeit.
I use their clear hard oil a lot, and its great!
Cheers!

charlieart66
19th November 2007, 07:44 PM
ps you can get a lovely finish on most timber with 3 coats of blond shellac and a good wax to finish.
shellac dries fast too

:P I'm loooking for a finish that I only need to apply once, as I am doing lots of finishing.

astrid
19th November 2007, 07:55 PM
well good luck,
you wont get anything to give a good finish, including the most polluting, carcenogenic two head growing mutagenic product......

with only one coat!!
sorry to bring bad news:no:
astrid

PS what are you finishing, the sydney harbour bridge?
a coat of shellac on an eight seater dining table only takes 5 mins brushed on

pps use a very soft brush

Big Shed
19th November 2007, 08:24 PM
:P I'm loooking for a finish that I only need to apply once, as I am doing lots of finishing.

Yep, lots of people looking for the holy grail:doh:

ubeaut
19th November 2007, 10:11 PM
Danish oil.

One coat of anything you've got there will give you virtually no protection.

The closest thing to what you want will be a heavy coat of strong shellac. If you're good enough to be able to do it well. Totally earth friendly (except for the massive distilleries that churn out the alcohol to mix with the flakes) but still going to look pretty ordinary.

I've been making finishes for many years and if I could come up with what you want I'd be a multi millionaire over night. Would only have to make 1 bottle of the stuff, sell the formula for squillions and retire to live off the royalties for the rest of my life.The person that comes up with what you want will be set for life so will the next 10 generations of his family.

What exactly are you wanting to finish? If it's turned work I have the closest thing to what you want..... Maybe.

What exactly do you mean by doesn't hurt the earth? It all has an effect somewhere, even natural oils have to be extracted and refined. It doesn't just squeeze itself from a bush or tree or fruit, into a container. It doesn't ride a bike to get to the shop. Can't thing of a finish that's completely earth friendly.

Neil :U

astrid
19th November 2007, 10:27 PM
take it easy guys
he/she's only 15!!
admire your ethics
but they come at a price,
hard (er) work

cheers
astrid

Sir Stinkalot
19th November 2007, 10:44 PM
If you follow the link in the sig you will see what he is trying to do ....

For the plant labels perhaps try either linceed oil or danish oil .... one coat will offer some protection. For the wedding labels try the shellac. I have recently made some little price tags and used a single coat of danish oil and they came up well. There is a photo on the forum from a few weeks ago .... try searching for "marking your work" or something along those lines.

Good to see you having a go and I wish you the best with your business venture.

Found the link: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=59269&d=1193996809

artme
20th November 2007, 06:39 AM
Surprised Tung Oil didn't get a mention>

Ian Wells
21st November 2007, 09:04 AM
its hard to get 'pure' tung oil, lots of brands have a little 'extra' added to help it a long, a fair bit of what gets passed off as tung is polymerized linseed (stand oil) with dryers added.
Shellac production requires south east asian forests, so increasing demand protects habitat for a wide range of species.

ss_11000
21st November 2007, 12:03 PM
If you follow the link in the sig you will see what he is trying to do ....

For the plant labels perhaps try either linceed oil or danish oil .... one coat will offer some protection. For the wedding labels try the shellac. I have recently made some little price tags and used a single coat of danish oil and they came up well. There is a photo on the forum from a few weeks ago .... try searching for "marking your work" or something along those lines.

Good to see you having a go and I wish you the best with your business venture.

Found the link: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=59269&d=1193996809

if he's only finishing something that small, i would have thought dipping it in danish oil ( or what ever ) and wiping off the excess would be pretty painless.