PDA

View Full Version : Tree felled in my garden

Twinadventurer
19th November 2007, 01:55 PM
I had a big old gumtree felled on Friday and it's currently laying out the front. It had been dead for almost a year and was becoming dangerous.
The tree loppers couldn't complete it so the large piece in the middle of the pic is still sitting on the front lawn.

My question is:
I'd like to make use of it (make an outdoor table or something), but don't have much in the way of industrial type tools, any suggestions on what I could do. I moved 3 large chunks into the back garden to serve as chairs already. My chainsaw skills are limited, but I thought I'd could hire something and cut it up myself?? But I am not that confident that it's a job I am able to do safely. Any suggestions, I'm open minded!

Ianab
19th November 2007, 03:58 PM
I see your problem :~

A few of the guys here have build their own chainsaw mills that would handle that log OK. But thats a big investment for a one off job. Mostly in the big heavy duty chainsaw you will need.

I'm also guessing it's not practical to move the log to a sawmill (too heavy) and not worth getting a portable mill in (only one log)

Maybe someone closer to your area will have some ideas - or maybe even a big saw and alaskan mill?

Cheers

Ian

artme
19th November 2007, 06:01 PM
It would be a pity not to be able to use the timber for something useful, like you table idea.
If you can't solve the problem just wrap it with brown paper and string, put some stamps on it and send it to me.:D:D:D

BobL
19th November 2007, 08:06 PM
There's a lot of timber in that trunk enough to make a hell of a lot more than one table. You might be able to do a deal with someone to come and mill it on the spot in exchange for a decent amount of the timber. If you were in Perth I could maybe do you a deal. I suggest you post in the Small Timber Milling forum.

Twinadventurer
26th November 2007, 02:22 PM
I've moved this message here on BobL's advice.