PDA

View Full Version : chinese elm, free to good home

astrid
19th November 2007, 04:45 PM
any one want some green chinese elm,
just had a huge branch cut off, about 9" diametre I asked the guys to leave it, in case anyone here can use it.
cheers
astrid

Mrs Woodpecker
19th November 2007, 07:08 PM
If you can cut a piece no more than 3 kgs, PM your address and I will send you a post bag for you to send it in.
Many thanks, Shirley

shedman
19th November 2007, 07:17 PM
I agree with Mrs Woodpecker and would like the same deal, if it is not too much trouble- thanks

switt775
19th November 2007, 07:25 PM
any one want some green chinese elm,
just had a huge branch cut off, about 9" diametre I asked the guys to leave it, in case anyone here can use it.
cheers
astrid

I'd like to try a piece as well, and would go with the 3KG bag (which I would gladly supply). But I wonder, given that it's green, and up to 9" in diameter, how long would a 3KG piece be?

thumbsucker
19th November 2007, 07:35 PM
PM sent

astrid
19th November 2007, 08:08 PM
good point swit
a piece 1mtr x 17cm weighs 15kg
the sliced end has a dark center, a white ring and a mid brown outer
sorry, Im not a turner and know b all about what it should look like.

astrid

Jim Carroll
19th November 2007, 08:49 PM
Before trying to get too far ahead of your selfs try puting a 9" dinner plate in a bag. Very hard to do unless it is flat.

Astrid it needs to be ripped down through the centre and cut about 9" long to be any good for woodturners. It will be 4-1/2" thick by 9" square. Then it may fit in the bag.

Please seal the end grain before it starts checking or getting splits, if not it becomes firewood.

astrid
19th November 2007, 08:56 PM
I take it that this is good turning wood then?
I really dont have the time or the tools to cut it up for you all:no:
maybe this is another one for vic turners only,
unless i give the lot to a local turner and they might prepare and share?

astrid:)

funkychicken
19th November 2007, 09:18 PM
consarnit! Now why does everyone have to live in Melbourne, Gosh.

This is one offer I'll have to miss out on, but thanks for the generous offer Astrid

astrid
20th November 2007, 06:21 PM
ok if no one else in melb is interested tooks like its ts's
astrid

thumbsucker
20th November 2007, 11:55 PM
Ahh thanks Astrid :D

Can you PM me what is a good day for you, Saturday or Sunday this weekend I would be good for me as I am going to Mitchem and then on to Warburton and back to Seddon.

However if you can keep them until the West Melbourne Woodworking meet on the 5th of January that would be good as well. However you would need to coat the ends in heavy paint, so they do not split.

What ever is best for you.

Ricardo292
22nd November 2007, 10:58 PM
Hi, I'll take it , please tell me where in Melbourne? Thanks.Ricardo.

Frank&Earnest
23rd November 2007, 12:57 PM
It's incredible how many people who can write can not read.:)

RETIRED
23rd November 2007, 01:38 PM
It's incredible how many people who can write can not read.:)????

pawnhead
23rd November 2007, 09:48 PM
I think he's referring to the fact that thumbsucker has already taken dibs on the branch that astrid doesn't have the tools to cut up, so he's wondering why Ricardo292 has bothered to chime in with his request.

Ricardo292
24th November 2007, 12:42 AM
I think he's referring to the fact that thumbsucker has already taken dibs on the branch that astrid doesn't have the tools to cut up, so he's wondering why Ricardo292 has bothered to chime in with his request.
My request was very simple, yes I'll take it and where. Because I did not see a response from Astrid and Because when someone offer something free it should be, take it or leave it, and in my own opinon some people are asking for too much.
And you Pawnhead, should contact me directly if you have something to say ok ? who ask you anyway. :~

pawnhead
24th November 2007, 01:02 AM
And you Pawnhead, should contact me directly if you have something to say ok ? who ask you anyway. :~Excuse me.
I think that someone needs to read the thread and understand what is being said.
It was Frank&Earnest who made this comment directly after yours;
It's incredible how many people who can write can not read.:)And then made this comment in response to Frank&Earnest;
????I was simply having a guess at the meaning of Frank&Earnest's comment since posed the question. So in answer to your question, it was who asked and I had nothing to say to you because I wasn't talking to you.
I can see no other reason that Frank&Earnest would make such a comment.

I was in no way attempting to berate you.

And there is absolutely no reason for you to be so rude to me. :((

Do you understand now?

Ricardo292
24th November 2007, 01:02 AM
It's incredible how many people who can write can not read.:)
It's incredible how many people who can read and write are wasting time doing so in others people business.
Frank, be a man, if you have something to say to me say it, do not hide behind a ironic note.:cool::no:
Ricardo292, see that is my name.:((

Ricardo292
24th November 2007, 01:15 AM
Excuse me.
I think that someone needs to read the thread and understand what is being said.
It was Frank&Earnest who made this comment directly after yours;And then made this comment in response to Frank&Earnest;I was simply having a guess at the meaning of Frank&Earnest's comment.
I can see no other reason that he would make such a comment.

I was in no way attempting to berate you.

And there is absolutely no reason for you to be so rude to me. :((
Rude ??? how? nobody ask you for a guess with my name on it. you are the rude one.:no:

pawnhead
24th November 2007, 01:25 AM
Well how else am I supposed to answer Robbos query?

Frank&Earnests comment was about you I assume.

So how do you propose I should explain it then?

Some cryptic puzzle perhaps. :?

pawnhead
24th November 2007, 01:28 AM
And you Pawnhead, should contact me directly if you have something to say ok ? who ask you anyway. :~I'd consider that rude. Especially since I said nothing at all that would cause any offense.

edit; It's Frank&Earnest (if anyone) that would deserve a cranky smilie and not me.

Ricardo292
24th November 2007, 01:52 AM
Well how else am I supposed to answer Robbos query?

Frank&Earnests comment was about you I assume.

So how do you propose I should explain it then?

Some cryptic puzzle perhaps. :?
There we go again, you should not explain anything because ???? was after the ironic line From Frank&Earnests so Frank should explain to , NOBODY ELSE, GOT IT. and who told you that Frank comment was about me, sorry my friend but you should not make comment with others people's name on it. You offend me.:no::no::no::no::no:

jow104
24th November 2007, 02:02 AM
Moderator telling everyone to calm down

Ricardo292
24th November 2007, 02:05 AM
Ahh thanks Astrid :D

Can you PM me what is a good day for you, Saturday or Sunday this weekend I would be good for me as I am going to Mitchem and then on to Warburton and back to Seddon.

However if you can keep them until the West Melbourne Woodworking meet on the 5th of January that would be good as well. However you would need to coat the ends in heavy paint, so they do not split.

What ever is best for you.
Thumbsucker, I'm very sorry if I jump in the middle, I did not see a response from Astrid that is way I said I'll take it, please accept my apologies.

Groggy
24th November 2007, 08:58 AM
Frank, John and Ricardo.

Between you, you've managed to drag this thread off topic. It is astrid's thread and she is trying to give away a branch to someone who can use it. Please let her complete this thread without further interruption.

thumbsucker
24th November 2007, 09:20 AM
The Chinese Elm branches have been claimed. Thanks Astrid. :2tsup:

ubeaut
24th November 2007, 10:17 AM
Ricardo292 - Might be a good idea to lighten up a bit if you're going to stay around.

Timber claimed. Thread closed.:closed:

Neil

:lockd: