PDA

View Full Version : Snow-woman

Stu in Tokyo
19th November 2007, 10:48 PM
Been making a lot of these snowmen things for Christmas presents etc. I know you guys down under, most likely do not associate "Snowmen" with Christmas, but here it is anyways..........

60615 60616

Hard Maple, sanded to #400, two coats of sanding sealer, and then the stickers, then 2 or 3 coats of rattle can lacquer.

Cheers!

Cliff Rogers
19th November 2007, 11:09 PM
Good idea. :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th November 2007, 12:31 AM
:clap3:

littlebuddha
20th November 2007, 12:33 AM
Novel idea stu, daft ques is that a small candle as a nose, just looks like a little wick coming out the end of the orange.
We had snow here in the midlands yesterday, gone now but we might just get to be making the real thing this year. LB

joe greiner
20th November 2007, 01:07 AM
Very well done, Stu. I saw a demo a while back for snowmen ornaments and such with white lacquer and a light spray of glitter to simulate glistening snow. Nice effect, but you couldn't tell they were turned from timber. I like yours better. FWIW, you can add a scarf of (depending on scale) embroidery floss, yarn, a piece of jersey loop as used for potholders, ribbon, etc. Single overhand knot with a dab of glue.

Joe

Stu in Tokyo
20th November 2007, 05:42 AM
Thanks gents.

The nose is maple as well, turned it myself, and painted it carrot orange.

These are certainly fun, I've done near two dozen so far, but they keep disappearing, my lovely wife keeps giving them away!

Oh well, lots more maple in the Dungeon! :2tsup:

artme
20th November 2007, 06:52 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Des.K.
20th November 2007, 09:34 AM
Nicely done.

When I saw the thread title, I immediately thought of the yuki-onna in Lafcadio Hearn's ghost story collection.:oo:
Your snow woman looks a little less threatening. A great gift, and no wonder they keep vanishing.

Regards
Des

Stu in Tokyo
20th November 2007, 04:16 PM
Hey Des, thanks

Says "Soon to be in Toyama Japan" there by your name, if you ever get to Tokyo, come on by for a Dungeon tour!:D

Cheers!

Des.K.
20th November 2007, 04:48 PM
Stu

We lived in Nerima-ku back in the late 80s / early 90s, and still have some very good friends there, and family in the Tama region. And I used to be a regular in various stages of inebriation at many of the discos in Roppongi back in the late 70s when I lived in Nishi-Azabu, so we'll certainly be heading to the big smoke of Tokyo at some stage, and I'd love to take you up on your tour offer.:2tsup: SWMBO has seen photos of the Dungeon, and she's also fascinated.

All the best.

Des

Pops
20th November 2007, 05:13 PM
Hi Stu,

Yes, nicely done indeed. I like them. :) No wonder they walk out the door, very cute.

Cheers
Pops

Stu in Tokyo
21st November 2007, 03:32 AM
Well Des, I'm in Shinjuku, right downtown, I'm sure you can find it :D :2tsup: