PDA

View Full Version : 3 in 1 thread chaser

hughie
20th November 2007, 10:27 PM
Due to the interest in thread chaser I have posted this info along with its price and availability.

Its a 3 in 1, that is, it will do both internal and external threads on the one tool. Also I have added an extra feature of a concave cut to the end of the chasing head. This is to allow for any trimming of the threads at completion or to add extra lead in.

Dimensions:
Chasing head 10tpi, 15mm long
shank 12mm dia x 70mm
Safety flange 20mm dia
Tang 10mm x 70mm

Hardened to a minimum of 60 Rockwell C and comes with a Stainless steel ferrule. But no handle :C this keeps the cost down. :U

The pics are of the chaser in its raw state prior to heat treating or sharpening. So don't worry about the nicks and dings etc. :U

I am selling the chaser at $45AUD [ $40USD ] plus postage. All postage unless requested other wise will be airmail. I am using PayPal as the preferred method of payment. The lead time is about four weeks to posting at this stage.

If your interested PM me with your email address, snail mail details etc.

scooter
20th November 2007, 10:30 PM
PM sent

Cliff Rogers
20th November 2007, 10:34 PM
PM sent. :2tsup:

WOODbTURNER
21st November 2007, 12:21 AM
Same here.
Ta

clubbyr8
21st November 2007, 04:57 AM
Me too. PM sent :2tsup:

Speanwoody
21st November 2007, 09:01 AM
PM sent many thanks for your kindness and kind offer

Pusser
21st November 2007, 09:35 AM
Sorry to butt in but I guess the people looking here will know the answer. How do you regulate the pitch of the thread with a thread chaser? I have only used a metal lathe and it was done with the feed mechanism. Just asking as I am curious, don't waste too much time on the answer as I do not have a wood lathe and will not be able to put it into practice.

Big Shed
21st November 2007, 09:50 AM
Sorry to butt in but I guess the people looking here will know the answer. How do you regulate the pitch of the thread with a thread chaser? I have only used a metal lathe and it was done with the feed mechanism. Just asking as I am curious, don't waste too much time on the answer as I do not have a wood lathe and will not be able to put it into practice.

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Turning_Tools/Thread_Cutting/thread_cutting.html

R.B.
21st November 2007, 07:58 PM
Bargain! pm sent.

dai sensei
23rd November 2007, 08:56 PM
I'm in

moff
26th November 2007, 06:44 PM
I would like to buy one but am unsure what a PM is. My email address is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Contact can be made through Private Message or Email by clicking on User name

Cliff Rogers
27th November 2007, 09:17 AM
Payment sent this morning. :2tsup:

RETIRED
28th November 2007, 07:01 PM
Posts have not been deleted but moved here:http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=61623

Fred in Tassie
28th November 2007, 07:30 PM
Ill give it a go. PM sent.

hughie
28th November 2007, 07:40 PM
Because we are moving the Workshop to new premises and the fact that most of the gear wont be hooked up till the New Year. :~ grrrgh
I wont be able to supply any thread chasers till then.

All orders placed last week [up and including to Friday 23rd Nov.] will fulfilled and should be in the post late this week or early next week.

Apologies to those who must wait.

WOODbTURNER
4th December 2007, 03:39 PM
Hughie,
Received my thread chaser today. That was quick! It looks good and I will put on a handle as soon as I finish doing extensions to my son's house. I'm really feeling my age now especially as its 35 degrees and 99% up here in Darwin.
Many thanks again
Cheers
Jeff

R.B.
4th December 2007, 05:16 PM
Looks great hughie.. Had an hour free to put a handle on it but haven't taken it for a spin yet.

I really have to find a box for it so it doesn't end up rolling around with the rest of my old junkers.

Thanks again mate.. I'll report back when I've had a good play.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th December 2007, 05:40 PM
I really have to find a box for it so it doesn't end up rolling around with the rest of my old junkers.

Hint: find a short length of hose that'll slip over the end (when flattened) as a protective cover.

I'm currently searching for assorted sizes to protect my turning tools when travelling around...

hughie
4th December 2007, 06:19 PM
.. Had an hour free to put a handle on it but haven't taken it for a spin yet.

Great job on the handle. :2tsup:

R.B.
4th December 2007, 06:50 PM
Hint: find a short length of hose that'll slip over the end (when flattened) as a protective cover.

I'm currently searching for assorted sizes to protect my turning tools when travelling around...

:doh: PERFECT! cheers Skew

Great job on the handle. :2tsup:

Thanks hughie, wen for something different, not sure if its a looker but it feels great in the hand.

dai sensei
4th December 2007, 08:48 PM
I got mine today thanks Hughie :2tsup:

It will take a while before I can turn a handle, probably even longer to use it :rolleyes:, but at least I can now say I have one :cool:

DJ’s Timber
4th December 2007, 08:51 PM
Can't wait till I get mine :U, will have to take it for a spin at the Xmas BBQ Turnfest in a couple of weeks when everyone is here :2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
11th December 2007, 05:13 PM
I got mine last week hughie thanks. :2tsup:

I thought I had posted a note here but I can't see it. :?

Speanwoody
16th December 2007, 11:16 AM
Got my thread chaser today(saturday) many thanks, excellent quality, again thank you

China
16th December 2007, 06:20 PM
Hughie thread chaser has arrived, looks good will have to wait until after christmas to try it, shed is getting major reworkin gand it has no volts as yet so nothing works unless I spin it by hand

nfld steve
20th December 2007, 10:36 PM
Hi guys,this is a tool that could be used to thread inside and outside threads on a box or whatever?Am I right??lol.
How is it used?In a brief "nutshell" of a story.I'm kinda interested in it,actually I'm really interested in it.
If I got one,it'ld be in the New Year because of frivalous spending on my part,lol,for gifts.But in the new year I'm bringing my 14" Delta into my basement workshop,when I bet a chip collector,and I'm going to be doing alot of turning.
It's in my barn now,and for example,it's -15 this morning,and I havn't got a woodtove hooked up out there yet,need a chimney,,lees smoke that way I think.lol.
Anyway,I'ld appreciate any info on it,how it works,etc.
I think I have a general idea,but it'ld be great to hear from you guys.
Thanks in advance,and Merry Christmas!!!!Steve from Newfoundland.:D

hughie
21st December 2007, 03:31 PM
Anyway,I'ld appreciate any info on it,how it works,etc.

Steve,

Have a look at this post and scroll down to message 4 click on the link. It will take you to Robert Sorby site there is a pdf file you can down load read at your leisure.

It has, what I believe, one of the best explanations of thread chasing. The only difference is they will sell you two tools,I have just combined them and sell em cheaper..:U other wise the method of use is exactly them same.

Failing that google Fred Holder for another very description of thread chasing.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=61623

Fred in Tassie
17th March 2008, 06:38 PM
Hi Hughie

The chaser arrived in todays mail.

I am very impressed with the quality, the new ones look every bit as good as the first batch, well done on your part. :2tsup:

The challenge now is for me to do it justice.

I thank you for your time and trouble.

Kind regards

Fred.

hughie
18th March 2008, 08:42 PM
Fred,

no worries, it was a pleasure. Glad you like it, it should serve you well for some time to come.

Your positive comments are greatly appreciated, thanks