PDA

View Full Version : Need a dinghy trailer

MikeyRoberts
21st November 2007, 11:40 AM
Hi all,

Does anyone know of any cheap boat trailers for sale in the Perth area suitable for a 12' Heron dinghy?

Failing that, does anyone have any plans or experience for knocking up one by yourself?

Cheers

Mike

bitingmidge
21st November 2007, 02:40 PM
A twelve footer will just about fit on a cradle on a standard 6x4 box trailer. I reckon that'd be the cheapest way out.

Cheers,

P
:D

MikeyRoberts
21st November 2007, 02:48 PM
Cheapest - but not necessarily the easiest. That's what I'm doing at the moment and its a bit of a struggle to get the boat + trolly up on the trailer.

Plus, the tralier has got nasty sharp corners that take chunks out of paint far too easily. (see photos attached)

bitingmidge
21st November 2007, 03:14 PM
I see what you mean!

Try http://www.easytrailer.com.au/folding_trailer_info.html

It doesn't have to be a folding one. They are very light, but about perfect for a lightweight dinghy, and you can easily use a longer draw bar if you need.

Use the flat platform and build the cradle on top.

Alternatively, I built mine from old roofing purlins, and used a dumped box trailer for the running gear, all replacement bits can be had from SuperCheap.

Cheers,

P

Boatmik
21st November 2007, 09:12 PM
I am too polite to tell everyone that Midge stole the trailer from the local Uniting Church minister.

(while he wasn't looking)

This is often the cheapest of all ways to get a trailer.

The easy trailers are pretty good.

MIK

bitingmidge
21st November 2007, 09:30 PM
Well OK, we dumped the bits we didn't need!

P
:B:B:B

MikeyRoberts
21st November 2007, 11:27 PM
Wow - a do it yourself, bolt together boat trailer. I wonder if Ikea make such a product?:)

Actually, they look pretty good, but I wonder how the price will compare to a new trailer from a local manufaturer - once you include freight and licencing on the ezy trailer.

Mind you, the design of the ezy trailer doesn't look too hard. I wonder if I could copy it:;