PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Kanna Info

Sheets
22nd November 2007, 08:35 AM
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone can help me decipher the kanji and katakana on this kanna blade I purchased from Lee Valley Tools back about 1987 or so (picture below). I can't recall the info from the catalog (probably didn't say who made it anyway). My eyes are fried from going through kanji databases and I haven't been able to find all the characters. I think the bottom left reads "Special Work", but the rest I don't know.
Anyway, I appreciate any help.
Steve

Des.K.
22nd November 2007, 10:44 AM
Steve

I don't even pretend to have any knowledge about manufacturers, so can't help you on that.

The characters on the bottom left are "TOKUSEI" - basically specially manufactured or special manufacture - along those lines.

The katakana on the top reads DERAKKUSU - deluxe.

The mark to the right just seems like a stylized image of something.

Beneath it is a representation of Mt Fuji containing the characters (reading down) FU-JI and what seems like the character for star (hoshi or SEI). There is a Japanese company FUJI-STAR, but I think they make sandpaper and the like - not planes.

The only plane I could find with anything like that is here (http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k50532173) on this Yahoo auction site. It has the FUJI-SEI (can't get kanji to show properly) characters, but nothing else. No explanation about the plane.

Not much help, but it might give you some clues.

Regards
Des

Sheets
22nd November 2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks for that, Des.K. I'm more interested now than I was when I purchased these about the inscriptions. I'll keep a record as I discover things. That way, if I ever pass them on, I'll appear to know something.
Here is another blade with a similar mark (also from Lee Valley- different size).
Steve

Pam
25th November 2007, 04:54 AM
Why don't you email/call LV? And further, email Rob Lee, he's very approachable and will try to help you. He often visits Woodcentral hand tools forum.

Pam

Sheets
25th November 2007, 07:05 AM
I may do that, Pam. I did call the local store (Halifax), but they don't keep catalogs going back that far on site. I'm pretty sure that the original description doesn't say anything about what's written on the blades, but I suppose I should find out for sure.
Steve
I had this cut-off from an elm board that said, "Use me", so this blade got a new dai.