PDA

View Full Version : medieval bowl from sherwood forest

robin wood
22nd November 2007, 10:29 PM
Here are a couple of new videos on youtube of a commission I had to turn a bowl for Robin Hood from oak from Sherwood Forest, on a foot powered lathe of course.

Here's the short fun version of Robin collecting his bowl

YouTube - Robin Hood meets Robin Wood

and the slightly longer version with more on the making of the bowl

YouTube - making Robin Hood's bowl

hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

killerbeast
22nd November 2007, 11:46 PM
Very very nice :-) and a very nice pice of wood. ? do you only use hooks for turning or alsow other tools?

I very much liked the comp. between you and the modern lathe.. good win

pawnhead
23rd November 2007, 06:13 AM
Wow that was brilliant!
You've been very clever with your faithful reproduction there. It must have taken you a while, and given you some tired calf muscles.

I love the ending as well. :U It brought back memories of Michael Palin in the 'Monty Python' series. :cool:

A greenie your way. :2tsup:

wheelinround
23rd November 2007, 06:57 AM
wow there's away to build up leg and lower back muscles

nice bowl

good looking horse

but where was maid Marion or was Robin being a SNAG

robin wood
24th November 2007, 06:51 AM
thanks guys, Killerbeast yes I only use hooks, I find they cut very quickly and cleanly no need for sandpaper. It does keep me fit but it is not slow....unless you include the learning time. I have been turning bowls this way 15 years now and can turn a 7" eating bowl in 10 minutes, though I can't keep that rate up for long.

killerbeast
24th November 2007, 08:02 AM
Yep i am complete beginner, but have already used different style hooks and they are temperamental but actually not that hard to use and give great results...

Use them at the club, but they are on my must also buy soon list :U

But still keep the videos coming.. would love to se some more on the technic you use with the hooks

pawnhead
24th November 2007, 10:26 AM
But still keep the videos coming.. would love to se some more on the technic you use with the hooksI just stumbled on another interesting thread of his here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=58547) killerbeast.

Hilsen
John :viking:

Short Stack (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=32194082) (my son's band)

scooter
24th November 2007, 05:43 PM
Robin, I think I read somewhere you use a wooden bowl daily for your brekky bowl, does this have any finish? I like the idea of using daily a bowl I made myself.

Cheers.................Sean

robin wood
25th November 2007, 06:45 AM
Hi yes I use bowls every day for breakfast, soup or whatever, and wooden plates for every meal too. In fact it amazes me that so few woodturners do use the stuff they make, it really is much nicer than ceramic. Dry wood is like blotting paper and would absorb your milk, soup, gravy so I treat my bowls, for years I used organic palm oil, heated till it melted then dipped but due to concerns about where the oil was grown (much is grown on ex rainforest land) I now use linseed. I want an oil which cures or dries, walnut is lovely but can't be used commercially due to nut allergy.

Whilst many turners strive to sell art works for lots of money I get more of a kick from meeting people who have used my humble bowls for years. My favorite claim to fame is that Richard Raffan, a turner whom I greatly admire uses one of my bowls for his breakfast.

scooter
25th November 2007, 09:08 PM
... I now use linseed. I want an oil which cures or dries, walnut is lovely but can't be used commercially due to nut allergy.

Thanks Robin, just to clarify, do you mean linseed or boiled linseed oil?

No nut allergies in this house so walnut would be fine, or paraffin oil has been mentioned on here before for finishing cutting boards so would be OK too I'd reckon.

Cheers.....................Sean

powderpost
25th November 2007, 10:15 PM
Interesting comment about walnut oil. I have been using walnut oil on cooking utensils for twelve years now and have no adverse complaints.
Jim

Pusser
26th November 2007, 09:42 AM
You might get more than complaints if someone has an anaphylactic shock as a result of exposure to walnut oil see http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/19320.htm

it is life threatening and becoming more common for some reason. You should have a warning on the utensils if you sell or give them away.

scooter
26th November 2007, 11:16 AM
You might get more than complaints if someone has an anaphylactic shock as a result of exposure to walnut oil see http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/19320.htm

it is life threatening and becoming more common for some reason. You should have a warning on the utensils if you sell or give them away.

Gday mate, that's what Robin said, he doesn't use walnut oil for that reason. I was just talking about using it on utensils for my own use.

Cheers......................Sean

robin wood
29th November 2007, 12:54 AM
Scooter,
I use cold pressed raw linseed. I have been told boiled linseed has heavy metal driers added to make it cure more quickly...not being a food item it doesn't have to state the ingredients on the bottle. The oil I use is sold as horse feed...simply pressed oil...nothing else.

Powderpost
Nut allergy. There is a bit of me that thinks we are getting too nanny state when I see labels on a potato crisp snack saying "made in a factory that also processes nuts" but I have a friend with nut allergy. He goes through life knowing that eating 1/10th of a peanut is enough to kill him if he does not get intravenous adrenalin quickly so he likes to find out what is in his food. Would you give him a bowl treated with walnut oil? What about if you gave someone else the bowl and then he came round and ate salad from it? Would he be OK? is it worth the risk?

scooter
29th November 2007, 08:07 PM
Scooter,
I use cold pressed raw linseed. I have been told boiled linseed has heavy metal driers added to make it cure more quickly...not being a food item it doesn't have to state the ingredients on the bottle. The oil I use is sold as horse feed...simply pressed oil...nothing else.

OK, thanks Robin :)