PDA

View Full Version : Very Useful "rail-platform" for a spindle Lathe

reuelt
9th November 2003, 08:39 AM
I just made a "rail-platform" using a 150 x 400 x 25 mm wood, 4 1/4" by 75mm screws, 28 1/4" half nuts, and 8 bearings from Kmart roller skates spare (only $12 for 16 bearings).

The position of the bearings of the "rail-platform" are adjusted using the nuts so that they lock tightly and accurately between the two pipes of my lathe and so the wooden platform can glide smoothly between the headstock and tailstock.

I then put my 100mm X-Y table (from my drill-press - cost $80) on that "rail-platform" and carefully align it at say 45 deg from the lathe centre and imagine what I can do with my lathe - minus the old fashioned tool rest.

1. I can now cut perfect cylinders by simply gliding the rail-platform. "smoothing-out" rather than "roughing- out"
2. I can cut 45 deg (or any other angle I want) by repositioning and winding the x-y table.
3. I could experiment with the truth of how to best hold my turning tools manually by just using the vise of the X-Y table to grip my std. gouge, skew etc - based on hints from training couses and books.
4. I could test TCT cutters.
5. I could grip my Dramel (or small router) on the X-Y table to make indexed groves at any angle along the cylinder.
6. I could grip parts for accurate drilling using the drill-chuck mounted at the head-stock of the lathe.
7. I could make accurate diameters because of the x-y table.
8. I could grip a sanding block or cylinder to sand my work on the lathe.
9. your ideas...

A challege to woodturning Forum members.
Lets all improve the usefulness of our wood lathe with minimal extra costs..

Over to you..

Alex
10th November 2003, 01:47 AM
Could be very interesting thing.

Give us a picture

Regards

Alex

joez
10th November 2003, 09:10 AM
Here's something similar using a spindle Molder Head

http://www.plamann.com/sys-tmpl/lathe/view_all.nhtml

Might give you some idea's.

P.S. Its well worth checking out the rest of this website, this guy is amazing.

Joe

reuelt
14th November 2003, 09:52 AM
http://DIY

Questions welcome. I am just a hobbyist.

gatiep
14th November 2003, 04:46 PM
reuelt

This basically gives you the versatility of a metal turning lathe toolpost holder. For guys like myself I guess its not new, as I have used my metal lathe at times to do certain wood turning jobs. Its just a lot of work to clean up afterwards.

Good one mate.........I like to see some ingenuity!

Cya
Joe

Have fun.......................keep turnin