PDA

View Full Version : Scrambled Eggs

Mrs Woodpecker
24th November 2007, 09:15 PM
My sister decided she wanted something "different" from me for her Birthday next week. She asked me to make her some wooden balls of different types of wood. Never having made a ball before, I put it in the too hard basket for the time being and worked on some eggs. I have put a fair bit of effort into these - so much so, my husband accuses me of becoming quite clucky.
However I am sure she will be quite happy with my effort. There are long eggs, fat eggs and even a bantam egg. All critiqes accepted, and no offence will be taken.
Cheers, Shirley

artme
24th November 2007, 09:26 PM
Bloody fantastic!!!:2tsup::clap3::thewave:

DJ’s Timber
24th November 2007, 09:30 PM
Lovely work Shirley, interesting thing with the egg shape is that it really shows the grain from all aspects.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th November 2007, 09:46 PM
There's almost as much variety of shapes in your egg basket as there is in a real egg basket.

They do look good, as DJ said: they display the different grains very nicely. :2tsup:

TTIT
25th November 2007, 12:43 AM
Top stuff Shirley - they look great :2tsup: What's the white one on the right hand side ?????

Pops
25th November 2007, 01:47 AM
Hi Shirley,

As already said by those above, top job there. Love all the different timbers.

Very well done, your sister should be impressed.

Top part of the country there as well, Emu Park down the road used be be one of my favourite places on the weekend.

Cheers
Pops

ihog
25th November 2007, 07:44 AM
Top stuff Shirley - they look great :2tsup: What's the white one on the right hand side ?????

What you said. :2tsup:

Also, what is the one on the tippy top?

Mrs Woodpecker
25th November 2007, 09:53 AM
Something I forgot to mention was that I numbered each egg, and have printed out the names of all the timbers used. I will laminate that and put it with the eggs. (Thanks for that tip Vern.) The white one is Celery Top pine. The one in the back centre, the dull one, ( polished with wax, because the the lacquer tends to turn yellow) is Silky Oak. I love the Gidgee - the very dark one - again, thanks Vern. It is from that piece that you gave me. The only one not named is from a log that we picked up at Chudleigh Park. It is a very pretty piece and has a slight defect in the centre. It is beside the Gidgee and Celery Top in the picture.
Cheers, Shirley

echnidna
25th November 2007, 10:32 AM
Very nice work Shirley.
Reckon all your sister's chooks'll be jealous. :rolleyes:

macca2
25th November 2007, 10:39 AM
Congratulations, they look fantastic.

Macca

dai sensei
25th November 2007, 01:25 PM
Well done Shirley :2tsup:.

Soon you'll have a set like TTIT, very good idea actually.

OGYT
25th November 2007, 01:51 PM
Bang-up-Good job... like they say... as much diversity there as there is in a basket of real ones. The idea of numbering them and havin' a list is a good one.

ss_11000
25th November 2007, 10:35 PM
very nice work shirley:clap:

Kea5
2nd December 2007, 07:53 PM
Nice!

Now, what tips and tricks have you got for finishing them?

I always have a dilemma of how to oil them. I usually end up putting them in an egg cup type of thing. Do others use a different method?

ss_11000
3rd December 2007, 02:39 AM
kea5. have a look at verns website and look at his egg chuck.

btw. vern is ttit:)

Kea5
3rd December 2007, 08:25 AM
kea5. have a look at verns website and look at his egg chuck.

btw. vern is ttit:)

AH...Thanks mate.

Edit: Just had a quick look at the site...BRILLIANT!

That's been added to my bookmarks :)

Mrs Woodpecker
3rd December 2007, 01:17 PM
Hi Kea5. I sand them through to 600, put the sanding sealer on, then take them up to the Club in Rockhampton where I am learning, and get them to spray them with lacquer. However after Santa has been on his rounds I am hoping to get some Shellawax Glow etc. I would prefer that to the spray. Also, because the Silky Oak tends to go orange with the spray, I finish those eggs with the EEE, Hut wax then Traditional wax. Could never compete with Vern however.
Thanks for your interest,
Regards, Shirley

killerbeast
3rd December 2007, 06:40 PM
Had a look at vers site !! Nice .. i am soooo ripping off the sanding tree idea!!!! im using clothing pins at the moment but im goging to make me one for the late and one for supplies... then i can cut up a lot of paper and store it there....

Sooooo nice

Stu in Tokyo
5th December 2007, 05:10 AM
Very well done indeed, I'd be "Eggstatic" if I was getting those :2tsup:

Mrs Woodpecker
6th December 2007, 02:14 PM
My sister was "eggstatic" Stu. Best present ever she reckons. Brother -in -law however is a little concerned. She is fussing over them so much,he is afraid they will hatch into big trees. After Cyclone "Larry", he does not need any more trees as they just get blown over.
Cheers,
Shirley