PDA

View Full Version : sustainable ebony?

ripodb
25th November 2007, 09:32 AM
hello everyone, new to the forums but always looking to share and learn from like minded individuals.. i am wondering if anyone knows a source for ecologically friendly harvested ebony, particularly black African strain over Madagascar. I live in Canada so maybe I'm in the wrong forums.. I wonder if theres a Canadian woodworking forum?

Al B
25th November 2007, 08:06 PM
Hi ripodb :welcomeani:

Can't help with a source for ecologically friendly harvested ebony, but here is a link to a canadian forum. Good luck.

http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/forum/

SpiritFlutes
25th August 2008, 12:21 AM
Hi

There is a company in California just out of LA that moves the wood grown by a consortium of growers in mexico that grow all the worlds finest plantation timbers, from pink ivory to austyralian silky oak commonly known as lace wood, let me know if you are still interested and I'll track it down for you. They sel at a premium price compared to regular forest timber but its better for the environment. Pretty sure they would have ebony.

good luck:2tsup:

The Bird
7th November 2008, 06:13 PM
Sounds a bit like blood diamonds to me,beware the unintended consequences of your purchasing power.
Having said that, I had a guy in my wood yard the other day that reckons he's got 8m3
I just cut some for him and its african (black black) not the streaky brown of madargascan ebony.
I'll ask him when he comes in to pick his samples up.

garypeck
11th January 2009, 12:12 PM
hello everyone, new to the forums but always looking to share and learn from like minded individuals.. i am wondering if anyone knows a source for ecologically friendly harvested ebony, particularly black African strain over Madagascar. I live in Canada so maybe I'm in the wrong forums.. I wonder if theres a Canadian woodworking forum?

hi there..... im not too sure if you can find ecologically friendly ebony......if you're looking for a forum closer to home, im sure there is another forum.... you can try IAP....

wm460
25th June 2009, 07:18 PM
Rod has fantastic wood, I am a very satisfied customer

R&K Wood Sales
1913 D Street
Forest Grove, Oregon 97116

[email protected] ([email protected])

You could all so try PNPTA (http://pnpta.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=95&func=listcat) they are very close to you.