PDA

View Full Version : Whats this timber?

Bad Woodworker
25th November 2007, 11:39 AM
Hi, just got this timber out of a back yard that was a pergola and was just wondering if someone could identify it? I have sawn the ends to see grain but pics are of bad quality as they are from my phone.
Thanks for your replys.

martrix
25th November 2007, 12:32 PM
oregon

Barry Hicks
25th November 2007, 01:08 PM
That's gotta be close Matrix - Irish pine aka O'Regon.

AlexS
25th November 2007, 01:46 PM
Yep, that's what it is - AKA Douglas for. Usually nice and stable, and it looks lik eyou have reasonable sizes. Good find.

Bad Woodworker
25th November 2007, 02:56 PM
Thanks guys, yeah got about seven 3m lengths.

artme
25th November 2007, 03:24 PM
I don't think Oregon, a seemingly generic name for a group of American Pacific coast timbers, of that age would be Douglas Fir. I may be wrong and would like to get some more detail if someone does know.

echnidna
25th November 2007, 04:01 PM
Its Oregon which is the aussie name for Douglas Fir

Bad Woodworker
25th November 2007, 05:13 PM
So, is it worth making something out of or not? If so I'll do a progressive piccy thing, thinking about a dining table?

Harry72
25th November 2007, 06:10 PM
Yep you can make things with it, its a nice looking wood has a lot of grain feature.
It can be tricky at times if its very dry as it tends to splinter a lot, plus it has soft grain and harder grain(summer/winter growth), this can lead to problems while sanding the soft sands before the harder grain leaving ridges.

echnidna
25th November 2007, 06:21 PM
You can make a very nice table from it

artme
25th November 2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks anteater.:D

I have see several items made from Oregon that have been scorched with a blowtorch. The soter summer growth burns more than the denser winter growth. Really interesting effect.

Bad Woodworker
25th November 2007, 09:16 PM
Ok, sorry if these pics are boring but I'll try anyway!!

Hickory
26th November 2007, 01:51 AM
Boys, That aint Fir... It am PINE. Possible Southern Yellow Pine. Some call it Old Growth Pine. Smell it, does it smell like Turpenyine? Fir has little or no smell.

jow104
26th November 2007, 02:58 AM
If its been out in the garden and you are bringing it in indoors after making new furniture, won't you have had to aclimatise the timber for a considerable period before starting?

Hickory
26th November 2007, 11:05 AM
If its been out in the garden and you are bringing it in indoors after making new furniture, won't you have had to aclimatise the timber for a considerable period before starting?

Wood with age or kiln dried does not over react to changes in conditions as bad as fresh cuts and air dried. Yes, there needs to be some acclimation period but a day or two should be enough. Not just bring it in and let it get happy, but you need to stack it properly and allow good air circulation, of course.

The flooring guy says to let it lay out in the room for two weeks but in most cases a few days is all it gets. All depends on where it is coming from compared to where it is going.

orraloon
26th November 2007, 11:23 AM
It may be just the lighting but it looks like it may be treated. Has a green tinge to it. Avoid the dust to be on the safe side.

Regards
John

Bad Woodworker
26th November 2007, 09:25 PM
It may be just the lighting but it looks like it may be treated. Has a green tinge to it. Avoid the dust to be on the safe side.

Regards
John

How can I tell if its been treated? its covered in blue paint, that might be the green your seeing. If it is treated should I chuck it?

artme
26th November 2007, 10:00 PM
I've not seen Oregon treated BUT that does not mean it couldn't happen.
All Oregon I've worked with is various shades of pink to reddish. Exposure to light tends to darken it.
If it has been treadted be very careful of it. Breathing apparatus at the very least is what you will need.:C

Bad Woodworker
27th November 2007, 05:27 PM
I've not seen Oregon treated BUT that does not mean it couldn't happen.
All Oregon I've worked with is various shades of pink to reddish. Exposure to light tends to darken it.
If it has been treadted be very careful of it. Breathing apparatus at the very least is what you will need.:C
This timber is more of a light color!!:? . Can anyone tell me if it has been treated or not or what to look for, like a green tinge etc?

Bleedin Thumb
27th November 2007, 06:15 PM
This (the earlier posts) brings up a good question.

Is there a difference between Douglas Fir and Oregon?

I say yes I have both and they IMHO are as different as cheese and chalk - Douglas weathers darker and has a more pronounced outside textured grain.

I would have picked the first photo as Douglas Fir. Must admit those yellow photos do look like the timbers has been treated.

BW is that colour is consistant through the stock?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th November 2007, 06:30 PM
I believe there are four or five different species generally called "Douglas Fir" (genus Pseudotsuga) of which only the most common, Coastal Douglas Fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii), is also called Oregon Pine.

That's the one used in plantations here in Oz and NZ :)

Mick Nash
27th November 2007, 06:35 PM
I think you all might be confusing "Old growth" oregan with the same species but faster grown stuff we see now?

Bad Woodworker
27th November 2007, 11:45 PM
I think you all might be confusing "Old growth" oregan with the same species but faster grown stuff we see now?
I have only planed one piece so far, seems to have the same consistent grain, edges are peeling away,I can grab little pieces with the end of my fingers and pull them away,almost like liitle bits of fingernail that you just keep picking at!! not sure,can anyone tell me from these pics what it truely is?
Can anyone tell me if this timber is treated,what signs to look for,is this dangerous?

Harry72
28th November 2007, 03:40 PM
The "peeling" is because its flat sawn when first milled, they can be glued back down with thin superglue.

Judging by the first lot of your photo's, no it has not been treated it would have a layer a few mm thick around the perimeter thats a different colour

Frank&Earnest
30th November 2007, 11:01 AM
Guys, that's treated radiata pine, not oregon. How in $%^& did you get that idea? Can show you photos of both if you do not believe me.

Bleedin Thumb
30th November 2007, 11:47 AM
Guys, that's treated radiata pine, not oregon. How in $%^& did you get that idea? Can show you photos of both if you do not believe me.

Well that is the tightest grained crapiata I have ever seen........:rolleyes: Maybe you can enlighten me with some photo's.

Frank&Earnest
30th November 2007, 06:55 PM
Here, ye of little faith...:D

1- BW's plank
2- her sister
3- untreated Oregon and Radiata

Yes, BW's plank's grain is tight, but it is wavy- Oregon is tighter still and straight. And red.

Bleedin Thumb
30th November 2007, 09:13 PM
If that photo is going to convince me that he has radiata pine I sure will need some faith.....blind faith!

The tightness of some usually old Oregon is due to the fact that it was old growth - the newer stuff is mostly plantation grown and is closer to your example.

Either way it ain't Pinus radiata and that stained sheet ain't a picture of Jesus.:roll:

Frank&Earnest
30th November 2007, 10:26 PM
Ok, the first board I put my hands on was not a perfect match, but on balance I still think that is treated pine and not Douglas Fir. This piece of radiata is closer, for example.

But, of course, I respect all faiths...:U

ETA: I'm a bit slow, I just got the innuendo... would you believe that some people still write books to deny the testing?:rolleyes:

Bad Woodworker
1st December 2007, 01:31 PM
Ok, the first board I put my hands on was not a perfect match, but on balance I still think that is treated pine and not Douglas Fir. This piece of radiata is closer, for example.

But, of course, I respect all faiths...:U

ETA: I'm a bit slow, I just got the innuendo... would you believe that some people still write books to deny the testing?:rolleyes:
It is DEFINATELY NOT RADIATA!! ITS DF.

Bleedin Thumb
1st December 2007, 06:51 PM
Maybe we should send a sample of this timber to the Vatican..it may turn out to be a piece of the cross......but surely that would have been Cedrus libani or was it Pinus pinea.........mmmm

OK can anyone identify what species of timber they hung Him up on?

echnidna
1st December 2007, 08:55 PM
From the grain it looks like oregon but the colour is not right.
Don't think it's radiata either.
Could be Larch.

Toymaker Len
1st December 2007, 09:20 PM
It is douglas fir (or maybe that yellow pine which we don't see over here) The growth rings are typically crisp and well defined where radiata growth rings are very much bigger and typically show a degree of shading from one year to the next. Also don't worry about it being treated, because th treatment makes the timber a strong unmistakeable minerally looking green and a damp greasy feel. Good score.