PDA

View Full Version : Help please

Penpal
25th November 2007, 09:33 PM
This Pen Mill went out of production when multiple stems etc were needed,since I mainly use this size only I am looking for a firm that grinds High Speed Drills etc to size from say a shortish standard end mill with the front section around 6.2 mm and the end mill around 13mm.
I want four only.

Any help to locate someone or a company would help me.

Thanks Peter:2tsup:

Penpal
26th November 2007, 06:16 PM
After waiting for a year for a Cutter and tool grinder in Melbourne I phoned today to say farewell,googled a bit and have found an experienced company who will proceed now to make for me.
Sorry to bother you. I also suggested to the promising type former person I must be a goose to trust the way I do.
must take more care. Peter:2tsup:

C-47
26th November 2007, 06:32 PM
Peter,
Excuse my ignorance on the drill, does the 13mm do any cutting as there appears minimal relief ? If not could you just sleve a 6.2mm drill. Just thinking out aloud here.

Penpal
26th November 2007, 10:02 PM
The first part cleans any stray glue the face of the step cleans to the brass insert and wood to present a milled face for the parts so they look like they belong in unison and not lumpy or awkward in appearance,to me the sizing is important for the reaming as well.

One could call it a step drill that cleans and faces.The second part is not to drill but mill the face.Thanks for your interest.

Peter:2tsup:

C-47
26th November 2007, 11:50 PM
Peter,
Thanks for the response. Ah! I see. It would be possible to sleve it then as cutting forces would be low for facing brass, but if you can find someone to regrind then thats probably the way to go for now. Spot facing drills spring to mind as a possible alternative where the centre drill is replaceable. Anyway just some thoughts.

Greg Q
27th November 2007, 04:47 PM
I have a 6mm X 11mm counter bore that does the same thing, but of course the 6mm hole is drilled first, then the counterbore's pilot rides in the 6mm hole. The same type of bit is available in 1/4 ", but I don't know about 6.2mm.

(My tool is used to create a pocket for socket head cap screws) I wonder if something similar can be used on your job followed by a 6.2 reamer?

Greg

ref:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterbore

Penpal
29th November 2007, 06:48 PM
Each half is made using a brass sleeve glued into a timber blank that is drilled 7 mm.When the timber is drilled it need not be symmetrical,square. It may include sapwood,cross grain etc,so when the blank is glued inside the wood some stray glue as well as an out of square end in the timber is the norm rather than the exception.
The purpose of the stepped drill is to clean each end of the hollow brass and square face the timber,perhaps with the tolerance of the metal workers I will include a pic of half a pen to illustrate.

Penpal
29th November 2007, 07:25 PM
A pic showing the pen during construction,the blank being drilled 7 mm vertically and the other half after the brass sleeve fitted and glued held horizontally in the vice for reaming ,milling,the available reamer I feel is primitive that I seek to replace.

These demonstrate my need for a stepped drill that cleans and faces the blanks.61294

Outsider
30th November 2007, 12:13 PM
Hi Penpal,

A quick Google found the following at Gary Pye

http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136753&product_id=1107219795

It is $26.00 and needs a handle.

I bought mine from Been a tree.

It may be easier to buy than modify a drill or mill

Cheers

Penpal
1st December 2007, 10:54 PM
If you look back on the pic with the mill thing sitting on the blocks it is one of the ones sold in Bribane or rather at the Gold Coast by Garry Pye,not new and shiny now. The stem is quite flimsy and the cutters are not exactly precision. The first pic shows my original that is beaut,what I am frightened of is dropping or whatever maybe mislaying it as one can.
The guy in Sydney makes every day precision step drills and has agreed to make it to my specs based on the original one.
I had the oportunity to buy some of the same ones as GPI sell but with interchange stems etc so I have to copper the bet or have back up.

As I read the entries in this metal forum the reason I am involved is you with me seek to work to the best level with the best tools we can afford.
FAQ fair average quality must come into the equation.Horses for courses.

Wish I could lower my expectations,now I can not even buy a twist drill without measuring with a micrometer since only one in ten top drills are even the size stated or engraved on the drill.

Still today I made three simply stunning pens that have exquisite unique grain that please me no end,amongst the have to,s of the day gained a real warm feeling of a task well done.I have a small Taig lathe for metal as well as the Hercus that enable me to make my own many things from day to day.

Thank you for your interest felt I owed you this explanation. Peter

Outsider
3rd December 2007, 01:16 PM
Peter,
Sometimes we read a thread and get sidetracked from the original question.

Thanks for your explanation

Cheers,