PDA

View Full Version : Buying a New Table Saw

BigPop
11th November 2003, 10:06 AM
I know this subject has been covered before but was hoping to maybe get some answers all in one thread than having to search around on a stack of them.

My brother in law is wanting to buy a new table saw - the old one he has his grandfather made about 200 yrs ago!!!

He is wanting to 'upgrade' and get something half decent without spending too much money. I think he is prepared to go up to about $2500 mark.

We have both been looking in the various catalogues, at brands etc and he is now in a complete quandry as to which saw is a 'good one' to get.
He likes the JET and then also there is the TSC-10HB's, Delta's etc etc. 10" blade 12" blade????

So far from what he has looked at he is leaning towards a JET JET*JWCS-10LFR but as I mentioned he also likes the TSC-10HB

Also which is preferable a contractors type saw or a bench saw??? It will be set up permanently in his 'oversized' workshop

I know I maybe asking a lot of questions but then again it can be a costly mistake of which he doesn't want to make.

Any help/advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Dean
11th November 2003, 11:27 PM
He would be happy with the Jet saw I'd say.
If he wants to save some $$, the 10HB is a nice unit at a great price too and is quite a solid machine. The Delta Unisaw is often considered the best tablesaw, but its about another $900 over his budget. In reality, there isn't a whole lot of difference in features between the Jet, Delta and 10HB. The Jet and Delta may have better quality motors, but I'm not 100% sure.

Definitely go for the cabinet style saw over contractor type if its going to permanently set up.

10" vs 12" - well for 95% of sawing tasks, I'd say the 10" is more than suitable... blades are cheaper and less chance of deflection under heavy load.

I would have loved a Unisaw, but at half the price, the 10HB was what my budget allowed, and so far, it hasn't faulted.

Dean
12th November 2003, 04:13 PM
Doorstop....

"Bald Old Bastard"
"Rude Idiot..."

Need the number for Dr Phil?
Man that guy is annoying! :D :D :rolleyes:

BigPop
13th November 2003, 07:39 AM
Stoppers,
Sorry no go there !!! :mad: :mad: – I have the colour co-ordinated Triton which goes well with my 1968 Psychedelic painted 1600cc Love Mobile :cool: (Kombi camper) and also goes beautifully with my and the Child Bride’s Woodstock and Sunbury ‘love costumes’ :cool: but I’m afraid that the B-I-L is a SNAG ‘ed Yuppie and reckons the woeful Orange colour cannot be seen anywhere near his Porsche or ‘her’ Audi Quattro or the ‘Oceanis 470’ and “most definitely” can’t be seen at Flemington on Race Days.:D ;) ;)

I think he’s leaning towards the JET as the colour scheme seems right and matches the decor
;):D :cool:

BigPop
17th November 2003, 03:06 PM
After all this searching and looking about still haven't been able to decide on a saw. (I too now have decided on upgrading to a new table saw.)
All the JET dealers are pushing the Supersaw and from some of the postings on here plus what I have read on the net there are a few shortcomings - and for the price they are asking have decided against them. Do prefer the cabinet style saws and can't get any of these type in Jet saws either as they are either 'not in stock' or not in stock and not getting any more in stock'

Have looked at the 10HB as suggested by Dean and quite like them. Am also looking at the Hafco ST-12D - other than being a 12" saw, does anyone have any good or bad news on these saws???

Are there any others worthwhile looking at for around that price???

As I mentioned in my 1st post - don't want to make a costly mistake so am asking as much as I can before we buy.

Dean
17th November 2003, 03:26 PM
what kinda fence does the HAFCO 12" model have again?

BigPop
17th November 2003, 03:43 PM
Dean,
It doesn't really say what type it actually is. Looks a bit like the Biesemeyer type.
Here is a pic from their catalogue

Dean
17th November 2003, 03:53 PM
Yep looks like a Beisemeyer clone.
Pretty much the same features as the 10HB, except it is 12" and the fence rails are longer. Worth the extra $500 though? Hmm dunno. Thats for you to decide :)

BigPop
17th November 2003, 05:04 PM
I can actually get that one for $1795 but again they are 'out of stock' at present.

Dean do you know anything about TruPro Saws. I have been offered a MBS250 . Seems a bit on the pricey side but from what I can find on them they are more an Industrial type of machine methinks - similar to Carba-Tecs MBS 300 have pic and specs of it here.

Also can anyone tell me the advantage/disadvantage of left and right tilting blades. Has it got to do with workpiece possibly being jammed between tilted blade and fence on right tilt????

These are the specs:-

10" (250mm) diameter saw blade
Overhead saw guard & independent riving kifes compliant to Aust Stds
Overload protection switchgear, mushroom stop button
Heavy duty mitre gauge & rip fence
Technical Information
Motor Power 3hp/240v
Max depth of cut at 90degrees 3" (76MM)
Max depth of cut at 45degrees 2" (50.8)
Arbor diameter 30mm
Arbor speed 4200rpm
Table Size 915X685MM
Max rip to right of blade 1210m
Gross weight 225KG
Package size 740X915X1070HMM

Price including GST $2500.00 Plus $80.00 Delivery

chris_hewett
19th November 2003, 11:46 PM
G'Day Big Pete,

I purchased the MBS 300 from carba tec a few months ago and have been very happy with it, got it for around the same price you have been quoted on the 250. At the moment I do not have the room, but the full sheet sliding table for this saw is very nice...