PDA

View Full Version : Bloodwood Twig Pots

Little Festo
11th November 2003, 03:57 PM
Here are a couple of Bloodwood Twig Pots. I think that it is a Desert Bloodwood, there are two or three different species, not sure which one this was. Unfortunatly the pots need to be held as the wood has a nice heavy feel to it. It's a bit difficult to photograph some timbers well, particularly if it's a bit dark, to show the correct colour and to be able to see the grain. If you handle a piece of wood, sometimes you get a glow/reflection from the grain as it catches the light. I suppose it's a orgainic feature and one of the beauties of wood. I'll have to work on my lighting setup.

The wood was quite hard but turned quite well (although a bit brittle), finnished very smooth and polished up ok but seems to lack that glow/reflection I was talking about above. It seemed to have a few fine cracks and pockets of sap. (Bear in mind I'm new to turning and cannot speak with a geat deal of experience regarding turning or timbers.)

Peter

Sir Stinkalot
11th November 2003, 05:07 PM
Peter,

Very impressive forms. The proportions look just right. What sort of size are they?

Stinky

Little Festo
12th November 2003, 09:25 AM
Hello Stinky,

They are quite small. The "Slim" one is about 120mm high and the "squat" one is about 100mm. My wife went to Europe earlier in the year and stayed with friends in Germany and France (3 couples) and the ladies/wives were all florists or flower arrangers hence I'm churning out quite a few pots of Aussie timbers as presents for their hospitality.

Peter

Sir Chiz
12th November 2003, 04:43 PM
Those are cool! I like It! :) Nice shape to'em.
I see "twig pot" often but I'm not sure why they're called that,are the hollowed out or just bored out?
I've turned some South American Bloodwood and it looks very similar,nice color and hard stuff.

Chiz.

fxst
12th November 2003, 09:43 PM
Im probably a rude bloke too like stoopers :)
I tend to bore out the twig pots
(running and ducking for cover)
Pete

Little Festo
13th November 2003, 09:51 AM
Yup, these are "bored out" too.

Peter