PDA

View Full Version : timber decking

SOLOCHICK
12th November 2003, 11:00 AM
Hey there,
I'm on a miniscule budget but desperate to put timber decking in my courtyard.

My questions are:

firstly, who should I look at to help, a carpenter, handyman or what type of tradesman.

secondly, would they accept the option of a lower price if I actually knuckle in and help?

I was thinking that even if they built the understructure so it's safe and level, then I could just hire a nail gun and finish off the job myself????

What do you experienced guys recommend?
I want it to be a good job, but why not be some of the labour if I'm willing and able rather than paying someone else?

Would love some input.

Cheers
SoloChick!

craigb
12th November 2003, 11:49 AM
Well a carpenter is probably your best bet but would also probably be the most expensive.

One option you might want to consider is the Grey Army. This is a group of older 'retired' tradesmen that do the sort of small jobs that you have in mind.

Because they are retired, they don't have the same pressures on them that a younger person would have and are more inclined to take on the smaller jobs.

I've not used them myself but people I've spoken to who have have had positive experiences.

Hope this is some help

Craig

Grey Army Home Services 13 1198

silentC
12th November 2003, 12:17 PM
I've built a couple of these myself and it's not that hard, especially if they're at ground level. But if you need someone to set it up for you, I like the sound of the Grey Army.

Alternatively, this area of work is also covered by landscapers and 'pergola' people and you might find them a little bit cheaper than a carpenter and possibly easier to get on site. Look in your local paper or try the yellow pages - search for decking contractors.

As for laying the decking yourself, it's not too difficult but you'll probably want a drop saw as well. But remember this is the bit that you'll have to look at every day. :)

JackoH
12th November 2003, 05:19 PM
What a terrific deck.Could'nt you have a party on that! I bet the fridge is lurking just out of shot near the barbie. :p
If you looked around the corner I bet you could see the sea. Reminds me of a place a mate of mine has, not a million miles from you Stoppers, at a place which is still called Blackfellows Caves.
Lobsters, straight from the sea, accompanied by a nice sparkling aussie wine. Followed by Green Triangle steaks with a Coonared. Bugger! Stop It! I'll have to go back to bed again to recover.:cool: