PDA

View Full Version : Mongolian Lamb

Wood Butcher
28th November 2007, 07:42 PM
This is a recipe that a friend gave me that he got off the net. I made it tonight and it is beautiful!!! :2tsup:

The only changes I made is used low salt sauces and I didn't have any hoisin sauce so that got left out. Also I didn't let the lamd marinate for 1/2 hour. All it got was 5-10 minutes while I cut up the onions etc and got everything else ready. I made a double batch and I think it would easily feed 5/6 people.

INGREDIENTS

1 egg
2 teaspoons bicarbonate soda
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablepoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons cornflour
250g lamb, sliced
olive oil
1 red capsicum, sliced
1 large onion,wedged
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 tablespoons hot chilli sauce
3 tablespoons water
boiled rice to serve

METHOD

Combine egg, bicarbonate soda, sugar, soy sauce and cornflour in a bowl then mix in the lamb, marinade for ½ hour.

Heat olive oil in a wok or pan on high. Stir fry lamb until cooked. Add capsicum, onion and garlic. Stir fry further 3 mins.

Combine hoisin, oyster, ginger, chilli and water in a bowl and pour over lamb, bring back to heat and serve on rice.

Ivan in Oz
28th November 2007, 07:50 PM
WB,

You could have given some more notice.
I can be in 2woomba in under the Hour.

Give a Critique then, eh?......This'll be Good. Strike, I'm HUNGRY:(

Oh! Jasmine Rice???

Wood Butcher
28th November 2007, 08:05 PM
It was good Ivan, sorry none left either :D This recipe is a lot nicer than the takeaway version because of the low salt. Some ones I've bought from Chinese shops are really salty, which I can't stand anymore. I defanitely will be cooking this again!!

Time wise it took the same time to prepare and cook the lamb as the rice cooker took to do 1 1/2 cups of rice. All up around 20 minutes from whoa to go!

We used Basmati rice, not Jasmine although it wouldn't matter.

Ashore
28th November 2007, 09:08 PM
WB the only prob is the cost of the lamb :D I do a similar one myself what a great dish :2tsup:

bitingmidge
28th November 2007, 09:31 PM
Here it is cooking in Mongolia!

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=61222&d=1196245902

When we saw it happening it reminded us so much of that old recipe for cooking galah that we killed ourselves laughing.

The blokes bunged as much of an old sheep in the can as would fit, then heated a bucket load of smooth river gibbers, then put them in the can too, and brought it all to a boil.

Then they wired the lid on to make it a sort of pressure cooker, and after a bit rattled the can, rolled it round down the hill, then cooked it some more.

For those that don't know, the old recipe says "boil galah until gibbers are soft, then throw everything out and eat the gibbers."

So it was more than hilarious, when before eating, the gibbers were handed out! This was a traditional mutton flavoured handwarming gesture apparently!

Cheers,

P

Wood Butcher
28th November 2007, 10:07 PM
Ashore,

A butcher here has sides of hoggett on sale for around $4/kilo around twice a year. We get a full sheep (~25kg) so it isn't too bad price wise and the qulaity is great!!

Delightful Midge, sounds well....interesting :puke:

Bluegum
29th November 2007, 12:20 PM
That's a pretty good price WB. Where in town is he? I might have to check him out next time I'm up that way. Reckon I will have to give your recipe a go as well sound really good.:2tsup:

Wood Butcher
29th November 2007, 01:11 PM
The butcher is in Warwick. My folks live there (and me too soon) so they let us know when it is on sale. If I remember I'll let you know next time if you want.

prozac
29th November 2007, 06:11 PM
Ashore,

A butcher here has sides of hoggett on sale for around $4/kilo around twice a year. We get a full sheep (~25kg) so it isn't too bad price wise and the qulaity is great!! :puke:

A good price for good meat. At least you can taste hogget.

notenoughtoys
29th November 2007, 10:48 PM
is it very hot?? I'm afraid i struggle with hot food but it does sound good so I'd like to give it a go, maybe just less chilli sauce or not "hot" chilli sauce, what do you think????

Wood Butcher
29th November 2007, 11:03 PM
Even with the chilli sauce it is not hot. Little Wood Butcherette hates hot or spicy food but she loved this recipe

fenderbelly
1st December 2007, 06:50 PM
This is a recipe that a friend gave me that he got off the net. I made it tonight and it is beautiful!!! :2tsup:

The only changes I made is used low salt sauces and I didn't have any hoisin sauce so that got left out. Also I didn't let the lamd marinate for 1/2 hour. All it got was 5-10 minutes while I cut up the onions etc and got everything else ready. I made a double batch and I think it would easily feed 5/6 people.

INGREDIENTS

1 egg
2 teaspoons bicarbonate soda
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablepoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons cornflour
250g lamb, sliced
olive oil
1 red capsicum, sliced
1 large onion,wedged
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 tablespoons hot chilli sauce
3 tablespoons water
boiled rice to serve

METHOD

Combine egg, bicarbonate soda, sugar, soy sauce and cornflour in a bowl then mix in the lamb, marinade for ½ hour.

Heat olive oil in a wok or pan on high. Stir fry lamb until cooked. Add capsicum, onion and garlic. Stir fry further 3 mins.

Combine hoisin, oyster, ginger, chilli and water in a bowl and pour over lamb, bring back to heat and serve on rice.

Sounds great WB, do you take the lamb out when its cooked or leave it in and add the capsicum,onion and garlic. I will definitely try this.

Cheers Fred

Wood Butcher
1st December 2007, 07:37 PM
I left it in. If anything I put the vegies in just before the lamd is fully cooked. I don't like the meat overdone. Try it, you won't be disappointed!!

ratchet
2nd December 2007, 12:20 PM
Do not leave the hoisin out

a very necessary ingredient

available at most supermarkets , Woolies

Wood Butcher
2nd December 2007, 02:44 PM
The only reason I left it out is because I didn't realise I had none left until after I had already started cooking. I'm sure that is would have made it even better and I have bought some already for next time we make it.

patty
2nd December 2007, 04:09 PM
Well Wood Butcher You have inspired me and I have got my mouth watering I am gonnna sample it up for tonights dinner will let ya know the outcome

Buzza
3rd December 2007, 12:29 AM
Question please?

Do you cook all of the marinade, or only use what clings to the meat? I'm a bit mystified there.

I like to use/serve Jasmine rice with these sorts of dishes, and you've convinced me to fire up the wok as it has been redundant for a while.:2tsup:

Wood Butcher
3rd December 2007, 08:23 AM
I just tipped it all into the wok. Whatever marinade remains liquid creates the sauce and also coats the vegies.

fenderbelly
5th December 2007, 07:38 PM
Well tonight was the night to cook the Mongolian lamb, herself had been in the city for a few days and returned today so i gathered the ingrediants and said i'll cook dinner.
I've always said that an empty plate speaks for itself and tonight i had two empty plates.:2tsup:
I will definitely cook this again. Thanks for the recipe.
Cheers fred

Baz
10th March 2008, 06:45 PM
Finally got around to trying WB's Mongolian Lamb, very nice, did have a little accident with the hot chilli sauce so it turned out a bit hotter than it should have, very easy to make, all in all a great recipe.
Cheers
Barry

woodbe
11th March 2008, 11:19 PM
We made this tonight. Missus is away, so I told the kids we're eating off the internets tonight. haha.

Anyway, they loved it. We made a few changes to cater for preferences:

1. Marinade is the stuff. Marinate is what happens to the lamb in the marinade.
2. We prefer noodles to rice for most stir fries, so we threw in some Hokkien noodles at the very end of cooking.
3. I cooked the meat in small batches on a hot wok and then put it to one side. cooked the onion/garlic/capsicum and then added the meat back in. This is my method of not overcooking the meat and it works a treat.

Yummy.

woodbe.

graemet
30th April 2009, 11:43 PM
A great recipe!:2tsup:http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif:2tsup:http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif