PDA

View Full Version : Diameter of small Gifkins dovetail cutter

sbolton
29th November 2007, 04:54 AM
I am wondering if anyone can tell me the diameter of the small Gifkins dovetail cutter as shown in the attachment. I will try to convert MM to inches.

Also, the variable spacer is a puzzle to me as to how it works.

Grateful for any input.

Steve Bolton

les88
29th November 2007, 06:01 AM
To convert between mm to inches, I use google say ' 1/2 inch = mm'
les

artme
29th November 2007, 09:34 AM
G'day Steve. Roger Gifkins has his own Bits made by Carbi_Tool to his specifications. I don't think any other bits will work suitably with his jig.
There is also a book of instructions with the jig and a Video tape of the use is available. Both show ho to use the variable spacer.You may even be able to download instructions by Googling Gifkins dovetail.
I f you need any other help get in touvh with me and I'll wrk something out.
Kind regards, artme.:)

sbolton
29th November 2007, 10:13 AM
Roger was kind enough to reply to my email that this section of the bit is 3.9 mm. This would give a small box a pleasing look.

Anyone use this small of a template and bit? I wonder if there are photos somewhere on this forum of such boxes.

Thanks

Steve Bolton

Carry Pine
29th November 2007, 04:57 PM
Remember too that sometimes a couple of larger dovetails look better than many small dovetails on thin stock. The way to do this is explained in the Gifkins book.

Carry Pine

munruben
29th November 2007, 05:21 PM
Remember too that sometimes a couple of larger dovetails look better than many small dovetails on thin stock. The way to do this is explained in the Gifkins book.
Carry PineThe DVD is available from the Gifkins website and is very informative. Shows you exactly how to use the jig.