PDA

View Full Version : B-Line Lathe

Outbackrr
29th November 2007, 08:35 AM
Anyone familiar with B-Line wood lathe? New Zealand made, not much info available on Net, only this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Crafts/Woodcraft/auction-123463963.htm

Found a secondhand one, haven't seen it yet, only talked on phone to owner. Would like to be informed before I go look at it.

artme
29th November 2007, 09:01 AM
If you get lathe for that price it is not a bad buy. Check bearings, swing, length etc. Make sure it suits yoyr needs.

Iam Going to kill that %^&#@ ant!!!:D:D:D

Elbow
29th November 2007, 03:14 PM
Add the cost of a motor by the look of it

Allan

hughie
29th November 2007, 06:03 PM
Dunno if 155 is cheap, you've gotta pick it up from Christchurch... excess baggage? airline tickets.....:?

Outbackrr
29th November 2007, 08:44 PM
Sorry for the misunderstanding, but the one in NZ is only for reference to the B-Line brand (all I could find).

The one I'll be looking at is local (Mapleton QLD), guy is asking $400 for lathe with motor, Nova scroll chuck, and 8 Ashley Iles chisels. If lathe is okay, won't be a bad buy considering value of tools.

Won't be a patch on the Vicmarc VL300 I had a few years ago but I'm only looking for a basic cheapie to help with some particular woodcarving projects I've got in mind.

'Ant' is actually a rabid lyctid beetle:wink:

BernieP
29th November 2007, 09:28 PM
G'Day Obrr

This will give you some idea of swing http://www.mandm.co.nz/productdetails.php?product=567

Cheers
Bernie

hughie
29th November 2007, 10:14 PM
The one I'll be looking at is local (Mapleton QLD), guy is asking $400 for lathe with motor, Nova scroll chuck, and 8 Ashley Iles chisels. If lathe is okay, won't be a bad buy considering value of tools.

Yep, sounds like a good buy, most likely the chuck and the tools would be worth just that alone. :2tsup: motors are not that expensive

Won't be a patch on the Vicmarc VL300 I had a few years ago but I'm only looking for a basic cheapie to help with some particular woodcarving projects I've got in mind.

True, Vicmarc are darn fine lathes, but.......at the price where can you go wrong.

TTIT
29th November 2007, 11:54 PM
............'Ant' is actually a rabid lyctid beetle:wink:I just tried to swipe that thing off my display - twice :doh::doh::doh::B

Outbackrr
30th November 2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the input guys. That pic was helpful Bernie, 300 swing will be ample.

TTIT, excellent website, particularly tree/timber pages. Would be good if there was a similar site with QLD coastal timbers.

TTIT
30th November 2007, 11:34 AM
..........Would be good if there was a similar site with QLD coastal timbers.In my next life perhaps - I'm not even halfway through the inland yet!:;