PDA

View Full Version : The right Internet Provider

tergar37
29th November 2007, 10:14 AM
Are there better Internet Providers out there than TPG, one where if I have troubles I can talk to an English speaking person to have them solved.

Gary

Alastair
29th November 2007, 10:17 AM
Early days yet, but I have just changed to Iinet, (both phone and DSL), and to date have found them a pleasure to deal with.

regards

wheelinround
29th November 2007, 10:21 AM
Early days yet, but I have just changed to Iinet, (both phone and DSL), and to date have found them a pleasure to deal with.

regards

:2tsup:
I was with Ihug who became iiNet for over 7 yrs they are excellent I had to change from them to get broadband thats the only reason I changed.

Went with bigpuddle :doh: talk about rip off no wonder the 3 emigos are walking away with huge pay packets.

Big Shed
29th November 2007, 10:24 AM
I have had several ISPs when I could only get dial-up. Since getting access to broadband I have been with Internode. Great service and support by Aussies, in Adelaide, highly recommended. Son is with TPG and isn't happy and in the process of changing to Internode.

Read all about ISPs on Whirlpool, Internode and Westnet consistently get top ratings.

Cliff Rogers
29th November 2007, 10:29 AM
I have no problems with Westnet. :2tsup:

Bigpond help desk are hopeless. :((
Service OK while working, where I can't get anything else. :rolleyes:

notenoughtoys
29th November 2007, 11:13 AM
:2tsup:
I was with Ihug who became iiNet for over 7 yrs they are excellent I had to change from them to get broadband thats the only reason I changed.

Went with bigpuddle :doh: talk about rip off no wonder the 3 emigos are walking away with huge pay packets.

yep, they are the only providers of broadband in my area too (don't quite understand how that is the case???) and everyone else seems to offer better deals but when i contact them, "not available in your area yet".

From my experiences recently the CEO may have just rewarded himself with huge bonuses for this years profits but it has obviously been at the expense of service so when we all move on to someone else and their shares plummet, will he pay it back?? Methinks not, very short term strategies in my view.
Although I have noticed there is ample staff and service in sales, funny that :~

Milar
29th November 2007, 11:25 AM
I think iinet are one of the few who have an Aussie based Helpdesk. As Big Shed pointed out, http://whirlpool.net.au/ is a great place to research(as good as woodworkforums, but for internet).

Oh, I don't recommend BigPond :no:.

Geoff Dean
29th November 2007, 02:28 PM
I use Westnet, absolutely no problems, you talk to a person, and if you have a Mac, they actually know:
a) what it is,
b) how to fix any issues.

Couldn't recommend them more highly.:D

scooter
29th November 2007, 09:37 PM
Happy with AAPT, haven't needed the helpdesk though.

Pat
29th November 2007, 09:46 PM
Westnet, the nerd talks to a real person if anything does go awry.

DavidG
29th November 2007, 09:53 PM
I have not had a problem with dodo.

:spyme:

Big Shed
29th November 2007, 09:55 PM
I have not had a problem with dodo.

:spyme:

Have you had to use their support? Leave a message on an answering machine and maybe get a call back in 24hrs:oo:

Wood Butcher
29th November 2007, 09:56 PM
I'm currently with Optus but I think I'll be changing to Netspace when I move. Their deals seem to suit what I need. Speed and downloads, between me and the family we clock up over 10gb/month and that is almost all due to browsing (home and work)

Wild Dingo
30th November 2007, 12:41 AM
Ive recently moved to iprimus from eftel due to some issues with deducting the monthly fee from a credit card without due authority... seems for some screwed up reason I have to use their dialup until they connect me to their broadband which is in the area.. up to 10 days!! :o aint technology wonnerful? :roll:

Am looking forward to getting some SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!! :2tsup:

Have gone with them for quickness of response to phone calls... westnet did not respond... 10 calls 3 hours all up listening to their pathetic blasted musak and recordings of "if you need to... go to www.westnet. com blah blah" YEAH RIGHT! If I could get through to some wakker to friggin sign up I WOULD!!... in the end we gave up

Couldnt for the life of me remember any other ISPs other than bigsnot or bigbog whichever you feel in the mood to call it this week but I wont have a bar of that mob... so iprimus was it... no contract as Ive no intention of being locked into any contract with any telco! PERIOD

ahem... no probs other than being dropped if no action for half an hour :roll:

Tankstand
30th November 2007, 06:09 AM
Have been with Internode for ages with no worries at all!

les88
30th November 2007, 06:19 AM
I have been with bigpond for 15 years and it is good no problems I am on the $69.95 plan and when I compare it with other ISP there isn't much differences in the pricing.
les

Alastair
30th November 2007, 10:12 AM
Just one thing I picked up while doing my research:

(in fact found out when my previous Optus plan was suddenly shaped)

There is a sneaky move hidden in the fine print of a number of ISP's, (BP, Optus, AAPT among others) that they count both uploads and downloads against your bandwidth. Optus in fact introduced this while "upgrading" me to DSL2+.

While probably not too much of an issue for most users, where your only uploads are emails, and web requests, BUT:

If you are an online gamer, (sons' Xbox), or maintain a website, or do large transfers of data, music or video files, you are however in strife.

One of the reasons for me going to iinet. Other was I had to have phone as well, would not use Telstra, and they would bundle for a good deal.

regards

macca2
30th November 2007, 01:31 PM
I have been with IInet for 8 years and found them to be tops. There 24/7 help desk is great. They will help with advice that is not always in their domain.
I am on ADSL2+ and it is very good.

Macca

Alastair
30th November 2007, 02:01 PM
:whs:

ptc
30th November 2007, 02:44 PM
westnet for me.

black1
12th December 2007, 11:04 PM
have a look at naked dsl from iinet. no phone line rental. but you have to have a voip modem to still use ya phone(free calls national and local). only down side is you go off line for fifteen days while thewy do it. 30/60 for $90 a month (ill do it after xmas.):2tsup::cool:

ptc
13th December 2007, 04:44 PM
Thjis is an example of westnet service
Dear Peter,

Listening to 3FL radio streams will not count as usage on your Active Option 1 plan as the streams are part of the Westnet Neighbourhood. Your plan is eligible for free content in the Westnet Neighbourhood.

I hope this has been of assistance. Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
Belinda

munruben
13th December 2007, 06:15 PM
I have been with iprimus ADSL for 5 years since I been here and found them to be pretty good, bit of a wait sometimes for their help line but on the whole I have found them quite good.

tobydogger
6th January 2008, 11:22 PM
I was with TPG and they are useless. Drop out after drop out then they want to charge you to buy yourself out of a service that doesn't work. After three weeks of constant emails and phone calls to one customer service manager (he called himself Robbie Williams but I think his real name was probably Gupta Patel) I think he was pleased to see the back of me. Overall they are very friendly but a total gang of timewasters. Signed up with Optus on the Fusion 100 plan. Free wireless modem, installation and local/national calls. As long as I get a stable connection I'll be a happy bunny. No problems so far.

manoftalent
6th January 2008, 11:44 PM
some time ago some not so nice person hacked into my phone line and ran up a $7,000 bill in three short weeks .....just about every eastern country was called, and at the time when we were at work ....well to cut a long story short .....I am responcible for the phone line in my home ..."period"...and since I could not prove it was not me making the calls ......I was up for it .... I wasted another $3,500 in legal fees fighting it ...and eventually could not afford to continue .....so a hard lesson was learnt ......so when Optus came to town I dumped BigPond like a hot potato .....and jumped for joy .....they assited me in setup via phone ....are always helpful when I ring them, which isn't that often .....and when my modem died suddenly 9 months after setup .....they were here the very next day to install a new one .....no cost ..... I have everything with them ....phone, mobile,tv , cable ...can't fault them so far :2tsup:

Afro Boy
10th January 2008, 06:10 PM
iiNet for me. We also use their VoIP service and all has been fantastic. Only had to call them twice and they were extremely helpful (even with some odd setups).

Barry Hicks
10th January 2008, 07:17 PM
WESTNET! Australian owned and operated. They are always up at or near the top in customer satisfaction etc etc in surveys.

Should you need to contact them, you speak to someone who's first language is English.

Their prices are competative.

Allan at Wallan
11th January 2008, 01:54 PM
Used to be with iPrimus but 75 spams a day turned me off.
My "Homepage", on which I had compiled my Family Tree was
being published via "Google" and "Yahoo" and I had 1100 hits
worldwide on it.

Optusnet rang and gave me a deal I could not refuse and I
specifically asked if my "Homepage" details could be transferred
to my Optus Homepage. I was assured there would be no worries.

On transferring I rang Optus for assistance in transferring my
homepage only to be informed, "Sorry, cant help with that".

I have been down on bended knee for almost three years now
with no assistance from Optus, Google or Yahoo. I have it to
the point where I can edit the Family Tree but apart from me
no one knows where to find it. I get replies such as "our
robots will visit your site and automatically include your
homepage", and "it depends how many people search for
your site" etc. Local computer "experts" in Wallan do not
have enough knowledge to fix the problem.

Sorry I ever left iPrimus although I must say Optus have good
spam filtering as that is longer a problem.

Allan

I once stole a calendar - and got 12 months.