PDA

View Full Version : how to make a sub box???

Unit_01
30th November 2007, 01:57 PM
sup all, i need help in makin a sub box. I have a 12" 1200W sub and needa make a box for it. If anyone got some plans or websites which show how to make em, itll be highly appreciated.

Cheers, Unit:2tsup:

GraemeCook
30th November 2007, 03:31 PM
You could have a look at diyAudio forums.

good luck

Graeme

Wood Butcher
30th November 2007, 03:41 PM
There are a few members that make speakers boxes. Try contacting Soundman. I know he is involved in the industry and if he can't help he has a colleague that makes awesome speaker enclosures (Hi Dave!!). Also Greenie512 (??) makes speakers as well. He has posted some of hie creations here and they are awesome to look at and I'm sure awesome to listen to.

Harry72
30th November 2007, 09:14 PM
You will need the T&S parameters of the speaker to design a box for it... and the intention of placement and use... car sub, home theater, music?
Whats the brand and model#?

And dont believe the 1200W its BS.(unless its worth like $2000+)

Master Splinter
30th November 2007, 10:11 PM
Start here:

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/sbc/ (http://www.diysubwoofers.org/sbc/)

You'll need to dig up the Thiele-Small parameters for the sub. If the sub is brand new, and didn't come with T-S parameters, its easier to chuck it in the nearest bin as it is more than likely total junk! If it's second hand, google for the model number and see if you can find the T-S parameters.

The T-S parameters tell you what size box to build, as well as what sort of enclosure (ported or sealed) you'll need. Look at the Qts (thats the total electrical and mechanical properties of the speaker) first as it will help you decide what to build.

Drivers with Qts between 0.3 to 0.4 are good for ported boxes, and drivers with higher Qts are usually best suited for sealed boxes. (Lower than 0.3 and you are looking at bandpass use, and thats starting to get esoteric...)

soundman
4th December 2007, 09:41 PM
If you havnt got the " smalls" ther only reasonable option is one of the folded horn designs like the "S" bin or turbo bass bin or god forbid a "w" bin.
They function pretty well independent of parameters.
All speaker will finction differently but just about all will work.

The turbo design would be my choice...... techniclay crude as hell.......why it works so well?????... I can only speculate.......lots of people with their heads burried in text books will tell you it cant do what it does...... but they do......not all that small but smaller than some.

the patents have expired and you can get the whole kit and caboodle off the US pataent site.

cherrs

Plane sailing
14th December 2007, 02:42 PM
Hey there,

Get yourself the Thiele Small Parameters from the manufactuers of the sub, go to www.linearteam.dk (http://www.linearteam.dk) download Winisd beta & install in on your PC - it's free. Read all the info about enclosure design and then think about what you want to build. sealed, ported, bandpass etc......

If its for a car install I suggest a sealed box is the best no brianer option.

You can also head to your nearest Jaycar store and get a copy of The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook and really start to learn about speaker design.

Respect to all those audiophiles about the simplicity of this method but I have found it to be a pretty good starting point for enclosure building & understanding.