PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done Tarkine Forest walk?

Carry Pine
30th November 2007, 09:35 PM
Has anyone done the Tarkine Forest (Tas) walk? I would be interested to hear from any Forum members who have done the organised 6 day walk.

Carry Pine

woodbe
30th November 2007, 10:35 PM
Hi.

I've thought about it, does that help? :)

On one hand, it sounds interesting, but on the other, it sounds a bit too easy as far as Tassie walks go. In a moment of idle thought the other day, I was wondering if it would be possible to do the Tarkine, and then hop onto a Walls of Jerusalem 4 day walk straight after....

Also thinking about doing the Larapinta.

woodbe.

dennford
1st December 2007, 09:01 AM
Has anyone done the Tarkine Forest (Tas) walk? I would be interested to hear from any Forum members who have done the organised 6 day walk.

Carry Pine

I was in there back in 1972, but there was no organised walk back then - there was no track even.

Woodbe, I know it's a long time ago but back in those days I walked much of Tassie including some of the now more popular places that in those days weren't on marked tracks. I don't even know if there is now a track from the Tarkine to "The Walls" but if There is, then I imagine it to be a pretty serious undertaking. Into The Tarkine, across Cradle-Lake St Claire park and then into the Walls and finally get out of there - Definately not for the faint hearted or unprepared. But if yo are serious it may be worth contacting the Hobart walking club or search the net for some further info"

Denn

woodbe
1st December 2007, 12:24 PM
Dennford,

Thanks for the info. I was actually thinking of joining the two walks with a trip on the highway :)

Tarkine Trails do organised walks there: http://www.tarkinetrails.com.au/

I'm sure there are others...

woodbe.

dennford
1st December 2007, 05:30 PM
Dennford,

Thanks for the info. I was actually thinking of joining the two walks with a trip on the highway :)

Tarkine Trails do organised walks there: http://www.tarkinetrails.com.au/

I'm sure there are others...

woodbe.

Sorry, I thought that you meant to link the two on foot. I had a look at that site and it's amazing that in they quote figures of 8,500 people per year doing the "overland" and 1,000 per year on the South Coast Track. Along with friends I walked both of those in 1971/72, the amazing thing was that we only met one other person on the Overland, while the South coast we met no one for the whole ten days - what a difference.

Denn

woodbe
1st December 2007, 07:13 PM
I know what you mean. The Overland has hit the world walking map, so much so that they have put per-day limits on the number of walkers admitted to the track and hit them with a track fee. I did it last year for the first time and struck people of all nationalities on the track.

The overland would be a lot easier now than when you did it. The National Parks has erected boardwalks over the worst sections of bog - we jokingly called them the 'superhighways'. The issue was that when a lot of walkers are using the track is that they tend to go around wet patches, thus widening them and adding to the local impact of the walk.

I've heard stories from before the regulation of hundreds of people turning up on boxing day, all wanting to head off on the same track and use the huts, most of which would take tens of people at best. You can imagine the chaos that ensued... Some of the tales are horrific!

woodbe.