PDA

View Full Version : Gifkins variable spacers

sbolton
1st December 2007, 12:31 PM
I am very interested in buying the Gifkins jig. Can anyone tell me how these variable spacers work and if it is easy to use them. I am going to order the DVD and I suppose that will explain the use of them.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Bolton

Ivan in Oz
1st December 2007, 12:54 PM
G'day Steve.

They truely are a Piece of Cake!

I have trouble doing some Woodwork as I am more mechanically orientated.
Motors Gears etc.

I purchased one and it was Right to RUN,
straight out of the Box.

SO!!!

I had to have a Fiddle:?:cool:
Just to see what the spacers did.

There is a LOT of VERY, VERY fine adjustment if you require it.

Mine didn't.
Went back to Factory settings.

Enjoy,
Ivan
:2tsup:

munruben
1st December 2007, 01:41 PM
They are an excellent jig if you want to do only through dovetails. The use of the spacers are explained fully in the DVD. I had never done dovetails before I bought the jig, well, I had tried but you wouldn't want to know about them.
Anyway, if you want an excellent dovetail jig, the Gifkins is an excellent jig and will give great results the first time you use it. I am delighted with mine because of its ease to use. I am hoping to get the new finger template soon.

sbolton
1st December 2007, 02:03 PM
Yes, I am sold on the jig. The ease of use I like and the small dovetail cutters also. Which template(s) do you have.

thanks for the input.

Steve Bolton

munruben
1st December 2007, 02:27 PM
I only have the A10 tamplate at the moment but hope to add to it as finances permit. This is quite a good template to begin with. It is suited to reasonable size boxes. I think my next one will be the finger one though. Fingers always look good I think. I got to get some new router bits too because when I bought the jig I had a 1/4" router but recently upgraded to the Triton 1/2" router so will get some 1/2 bits to suit although Gifkin does have a reducing collet that is of real good design I still prefer to have the correct size bit for the router rather than use the reducing collet.

Greolt
1st December 2007, 04:07 PM
John the router bits to suit the A10 only come with a 1/4" shaft.

Greg

Stevenp
1st December 2007, 05:48 PM
John the router bits to suit the A10 only come with a 1/4" shaft.

Greg

The router bits for the gifkins jig are made by carbitool and available in both 1/4 and 1/2" per their catalogue
Cheers Steven

fletty
1st December 2007, 10:13 PM
I am very interested in buying the Gifkins jig. Can anyone tell me how these variable spacers work and if it is easy to use them. I am going to order the DVD and I suppose that will explain the use of them.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Bolton

Hi Steve,
The spacers are usually used to to create a greater spacing between 2 of the pins so that you separate the lid between those pins and end up with even spacing after the kerf dimension has been removed (if that makes sense?),
Basically you put the spacer in between the stop and the workpiece, cut the dovetails up to the lid separation point then remove the spacer to cut the remainder.
easy peasy...
Fletty

artme
1st December 2007, 10:45 PM
You really do need the DVd to learn about the spacers.

The quality and ease of use of the Gifkins Jig is, in my opinion, without peer.:2tsup::2tsup:

You may not get the versatility of spacing that you get with -say-a Leigh but then yoy don't get the tear out problems and it is much easier to run the jig and work over the roter bit, than to run a router over the jig holding the work.

I intend to do some experimenting with my jig ansee if it's possible to do some different things to the norm.

sbolton
2nd December 2007, 01:47 AM
Thanks. I am ordering the DVD today. Cart before horse. I don't have the Gifkins yet.

There is an attractive box and the lid appears to friction fit over the box. Is that included in the Demo DVD or some book by Roger?

Thanks

sb

artme
2nd December 2007, 08:03 PM
Steve, When you buy the Gifkins kit you should get a booklet "Introduction to small Box Making.' Very helpful. Just check with Roger that this is so. I bought the kit with everything andthis came with it.
Roger also has books available to pruchase with box making plans in them.
He is very approachable and helpful so talk to him via Email or phone.

Good luck:):)

sbolton
3rd December 2007, 01:06 PM
He is a very nice fellow. I have emailed him and he is very helpful.

He is sending me a Demo DVD and I will ask for that booklet.

Thanks for the info.

Steve Bolton

Zed
3rd December 2007, 01:16 PM
the variable spacers are easy to use.... you'll have no issues.

Greolt
4th December 2007, 08:55 PM
The router bits for the gifkins jig are made by carbitool and available in both 1/4 and 1/2" per their catalogue
Cheers Steven
Here is a grab of the latest catalog. As I said the bits for the A10 only come in 1/4" shaft :)

Greg