PDA

View Full Version : good mornings milling

weisyboy
1st December 2007, 01:34 PM
i woke up this morning and thaught i might mil up one of the camphor logs i have just recived. so i left the house this morning at 9 am with a freshly sharpend saw and plenty of energy.

got to the stack and set up for the camphor log. milled it into 1 1/2" slabs from 8" to 22" wide and 7' long and didn't the saw just fly threw the camphor averaging 4'6"/minute:U.

so i finished that log and decided to give the chain a go on a smal eastern red cedar log and it went even better. slabs up to 8" accros and 12' long i was averaging 6'6"/minute:o.

i was getting excited so i cut up a block of mahogany 23" x 21" x 12" into slabs for coffee table legs. the whole thing took 30 mins including setup. and i got 4 good legs out of it and 2 rustic legs:;.

all up i spent 3 hours down there (including 2 trips back to the house for watter and spanner) and i got 16 slabs not a bad mornings milling if i do say so myself.

ps. i just thaught i should mention i am using a stihl 304av with a 20" bar and carlton skip tooth chain reground to 12*. and elevating the logs at ont end, ah la bobL

BobL
1st December 2007, 06:11 PM
Noice woik Weisy!

I spent nearly the whole day rearranging the slabs in and cleaning out the shedding bark in the seatainer. Lifting those 2.4+ m x 600+ mm x 75 mm slabs is not all that easy. Gives one a nice upper body workout though!

Cheers

weisyboy
1st December 2007, 06:18 PM
tell me about it.

you bust ya guts and struggel with them all day and when your done some smart ???? will come over and say "need a hand":~. and the reply usualy comes "a hand", "ill give you a blody hand".

weisyboy
2nd December 2007, 08:38 PM
got some done today

with many rain delays i got 2 camphor logs 500mm x 1500mm, one red ceadar crutch 200mm x 500mm x 2m and a couple of slabs of a huge cadagi log second slab in was 400mm across.

and didn't have to sharpen the saw.