PDA

View Full Version : Flash Drive or Jump Drive

tergar37
1st December 2007, 02:52 PM
Recently my Hard Drive crashed, and thinking I had time to save what I needed it was too late, luckily my I.T. man was able to retrieve all I wanted.

Not to let it happen again I have to get a 2gb ( Flash Drive or Jump Drive) is there a difference? or will either one do.

Not very Computer Literate,

Gary

Barry_White
1st December 2007, 03:58 PM
Gary

It's like they say same horse different jockey. Same thing with two different names.

I was in Harvey Normans this week and they had a I think the name was DGM 160 gig USB external pocket sized hard drive for $29.95. Don't know how good they are but I think that is a lot cheaper than a 2 gig Jump/Flash Drive.

Milar
1st December 2007, 06:24 PM
I was in Harvey Normans this week and they had a I think the name was DGM 160 gig USB external pocket sized hard drive for $29.95

I think this must be the external enclosure only. The going rate for a cheap 2.5" 160GB HDD is over $100. If not, go and buy it, it's a bargain!

As for a Flash drive, you can double the capacity for only a little more (a look at MSY, they have a 4GB for $33, Brand name Kingston for $42).

Cheers.

munruben
1st December 2007, 06:33 PM
Wouldn't be without one, terrific things.:2tsup::2tsup:

macca2
1st December 2007, 09:16 PM
After losing 2 HDs over the years I now have 3 flash drives.
Photos on one
Financial record on one
General My Documents on the other, including address book from Outlook Express, and book marks from Firefox.
Very easy to use and easy to upload info from.
As stated by Munruben " I wouldn't be without one"

Macca

chrisb691
1st December 2007, 09:27 PM
The trap with the flashdrive, or external hard drive, is that you tend to end up relying on the files stored as the originals. ie. you no longer have a backup. As you nearly found out, not having a current backup is a disaster waiting to happen.

I now use Syncexpert(free) (http://syncexp.com/), to handle my backup to the flashdrive. The beauty of it is, apart from being free, that it does a direct copy between host and mirror, and is selective by only copying changed files. Additionally, you can have multiple configurations. Which means that you can maintain duplicate copies on multiple PCs. Best of all, it's tiny and runs from the flash drive itself.

I'm now almost religious in respect to my important (to me) data, I sync to the flash after EVERY session that involves file change. Additionally, I sync to another PC every fews days. So that I now have my files in 3 places, and am reasonably safe.