PDA

View Full Version : Setting handle to A E Berg Socket chisel?

Waldo
1st December 2007, 03:37 PM
G'day,

About a month ago now I found an ad in the local rag for a garage sale with old hand tools. I've been to many before who said the same thing only to turn straight around.

This garage sale was honest to his ad and he had old hand tools from his father's estate. My first beeline when garage sales have old hand tools is straight to the chisels. I could hardly hold myself back but I managed to keep a poker face as I fold 4 Berg socket chisels - 1", 3/4", 1/2" and 3/8" :woot: And the 3/8" was mint it had never had it's handle set or been struck.

And the bloke wanted $10 each, which I thought was reasonable given it was a garage sale.

So my question. How do I correctly set the handle?

The handle for the 1" has been brutalised, so if anyone has a Berg socket handle is very good nick I'd be happy to see about getting it off your hands.

rsser
1st December 2007, 05:59 PM
Nice score Waldo.

The resto socket Bergs I have (from Stu) have the handle cone epoxied into the socket. So just turn a new one and get out the goo.

I can post a pic of an original Berg handle on graph paper if you want a pattern. [Edit: doh, you already have some.]

But if you use them a lot an oval or London pattern handle are better; easier to grip and don't roll off the bench.

Pusser
1st December 2007, 09:23 PM
Derek Cohen may have some. He just sold 4 Berg chisels and had put his own handles on them. I think he said he may have the original handles if the purchaser wanted them. I happen to know the purchaser took them as is.

Here is the post
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=61467

Waldo
2nd December 2007, 10:07 PM
Thanks Rsser, to say the least I was ecstatic to find them. I should put up a pic of the 3/8". Pusser, thanks for the idea, I've shot of a question to Derek and will wait to see what happens.

So the general opinion so far, is to epoxy the handles in?

powderpost
2nd December 2007, 10:17 PM
Turn the handle and cone to fit the socket, make a single line on the side of the cone and fit the chisel. Rotate the chisel, remove and the high spots will be evident. Adjust the taper in the lathe and refit. In over forty years as a practising carpenter, I have never had the need to glue in a handle. But then to each his own.
Jim

Waldo
2nd December 2007, 10:23 PM
G'day Powderpost, thanks for that, just the answer I needed. :2tsup:

:think:

lathe :yes:

chisels :yes:

suitable chuck to fit the handle into, I did but now I don't :doh: . I might have to wait until I do.

powderpost
2nd December 2007, 10:37 PM
Turn the handle between centres, cone to tailstock. The headstock end can be turned to receive a band if you wish, but leave the 'stub' on till finished and cut it off with a hand saw. Meant to say "mark a line on the cone with white chalk" in my last post.
Jim

Waldo
2nd December 2007, 10:41 PM
:2tsup: Powderpost.

(should've thought of that, but it's Sunday night which means my brain is on leave until tomorrow :D )

derekcohen
7th December 2007, 09:30 PM
Screw up some tinfoil and cram it into the socket. When you remove it you should have a model from which you can take measurements. Now turn it on a lathe. Tune it later if necessary by filing away any wear marks as Jim indicated.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Waldo
7th December 2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks Derek. :2tsup: