PDA

View Full Version : lightern timber color

haosiliu235
1st December 2007, 10:30 PM
Hi all
just wondering if there is any way or lighten a reddish timber, because i have used tassie oak and karri and there is too much contrast.

cheers

Pusser
1st December 2007, 11:48 PM
You can bleach it but the effectiveness is dependent on species. You can try this advice (on a scrap piece obviously) extracted from an article on restoring trains. Take not that one the bleaching is completed you must neutralise it with a mild acid ie white vinegar.

THE RESTORATION OF INTERIOR WOODWORK
Author I.L Stewart

In my time at the Western Springs Tramway in Auckland, we developed a whole range of these types of
bleaches for use in different circumstances. They have come to be known by the generic term “super bleach”,
a term which I think speaks for itself.
One specific application of this sort of bleach is the restoration of Kauri. Kauri darkens slightly with age and
with the use of oxalic acid, so after bleaching with oxalic acid to remove water type stains; a mild alkaline
peroxide bleach of ammonia and hydrogen peroxide can be used to lighten the timber. The peroxide being
neutralised with acetic acid.
For spot bleaching of small areas, sodium hypochlorite — which is your common household bleach, Janola,
White Magic etc. — is very effective.
....."

usual caveats by the author - no responsibility etc

BrettC
2nd December 2007, 10:34 AM
Stain the Tas Oak :?

BobL
3rd December 2007, 12:11 AM
Stain the Tas Oak :?

I agree. About the only way you can lighten any timber is to bleach it which can destroy much of its character. Whereas staining still leaves a fair bit of the timber character there.

Years ago we had some oregon doors that we thought looked too yellow against jarrah door frames so we tried to lighten the oregon but they turned grey and lifeless so we then stained them jarrah and the went a sort of an orange brown which looked much better than grey against the jarrah.

Personally I would go French and "Vive le difference" - I guess this is a lesson to try a timber combinations out before construction