PDA

View Full Version : Love goblets - what a crock!!!

TTIT
2nd December 2007, 12:05 AM
Just read an article in Woodturning mag' where this guy claims woodturners in the 17th century turned goblets with captured rings on the stem for the chicky-babe they were keen on. To cut a short story shorter, he reckons that if the turner was real keen on her, he'd use real good timber and leave 3 rings on the stem which was the equivalent of saying "I loves ya heaps so lets get hitched and make lotsa billy-lids and live happily ever-after!":roll:. The article then says "If his intentions were not serious, then he would choose a very wet piece of wood and only put one ring on the stem". Gimme a break! - that's the equivalent of sayin' "Here ya go ya scrubber, whack that in ya pool room then getcha gear off for quickie so I can make the pub before they call stumps!":o
Bet a lot of ye-olde woodturners had black-eyes and split lips back then!:U
Can't see this system ever catchin' on :C

Hickory
2nd December 2007, 02:53 AM
Interesting! what Mag and which one did you read this tripe? From what you relate, it would seem that all young lusterous men of the era had lathes at home and were skilled at turning.

Evan Pavlidis
2nd December 2007, 04:33 AM
Just read an article in Woodturning mag' where this guy claims woodturners in the 17th century turned goblets with captured rings on the stem for the chicky-babe they were keen on. To cut a short story shorter, he reckons that if the turner was real keen on her, he'd use real good timber and leave 3 rings on the stem which was the equivalent of saying "I loves ya heaps so lets get hitched and make lotsa billy-lids and live happily ever-after!":roll:. The article then says "If his intentions were not serious, then he would choose a very wet piece of wood and only put one ring on the stem". Gimme a break! - that's the equivalent of sayin' "Here ya go ya scrubber, whack that in ya pool room then getcha gear off for quickie so I can make the pub before they call stumps!":o
Bet a lot of ye-olde woodturners had black-eyes and split lips back then!:U
Can't see this system ever catchin' on :C

You never know mate; they say history never repeats also which is a whole lot a crock.

If indeed this is true I and many others should have them (women) in hysterics kicking our doors down by now :D :D. Not a bad thought though to be rewarded that way for making shavings. :U

David H
2nd December 2007, 05:53 AM
I often wondered what to do with all those soft piles of shavings on the floor and now I know? Still waiting for that knock on the door.:B

rsser
2nd December 2007, 07:33 AM
You never know mate; they say history never repeats also which is a whole lot a crock.

If memory serves, Marx said history repeats itself, first as tragedy then as farce.

Frank&Earnest
2nd December 2007, 08:24 AM
If memory serves, Marx said history repeats itself, first as tragedy then as farce.

Yes, after Edmund Burke had said: "Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Does that work for urban myths too? :U

dai sensei
2nd December 2007, 11:41 AM
So what does it mean if there are no rings? I think the concept may get us into more trouble than it's worth :D

Ron Dunn
2nd December 2007, 01:00 PM
Most current folklore is bullsh*t.

Example: I was at a conference last week, and an international visitor asked the origin of the word "Pom", to describe an Englishman. Some idiot in the audience shouted out "Prisoner Of Mother England", which has in recent years become popular as an origin. The problem? There is not one piece of historical evidence to support this derivation. Someone made it up, and because it seemed plausible it stuck.

I saw an even more stupid thread on Sawmill Creek recently, where someone went to one of those looney-tunes Christian museums, and came away with a picture of a workbench that "might" have been "similar" to that used by Noah to build the Ark. Oddly enough, the bench was basically the same as European workbenches of the 1800s, and appears to have leapt miraculously from Noah to this time, without stopping anywhere else in between. Even more miraculously, from memory, it even had WHEELS!

This is what we get for dumbing down the teaching of history, and the processes thereof.

ss_11000
2nd December 2007, 01:56 PM
This is what we get for dumbing down the teaching of history, and the processes thereof.

well, i rekon history ( taught at school )is pretty much political studies. :(

i guess thats why its called history civics and citizenships:?

AlexS
2nd December 2007, 02:19 PM
When I was at school, I was kicked out of history classes because I wrote on the blackboard "The only thing that history teaches us is that history teaches us nothing." The teacher didn't even have to ask who'd written it, he could tell by the idiot grin on my face.

Manuka Jock
2nd December 2007, 04:26 PM
I knew that calculators were on their way in , so, in the 4th form , I dropped maths and took history :D
I still have a calculator , and and a love of history.

Amongst other things , it has taught me , that the use of acronyms , and initialisms , are largely a 20th century thing .
Pome - Pommy - Pom more likely came from pomegranate , a rather red fruit .... :U

ss_11000
2nd December 2007, 04:32 PM
When I was at school, I was kicked out of history classes because I wrote on the blackboard "The only thing that history teaches us is that history teaches us nothing." The teacher didn't even have to ask who'd written it, he could tell by the idiot grin on my face.
:D:2tsup:.

mind if i borrow that:whistling:

Gra
2nd December 2007, 04:32 PM
What does that story tell us about skew?......:D:D:D

rsser
2nd December 2007, 04:48 PM
I love reading social history. It gives you, as Blainey said, perspective by incongruity.

If Vern's stuff is right, it does what Blainey says, and sure would make modern dating simpler! Not that I'd know; just what I've learned from my 17 year old daughter. She has to read far more subtle signs than the number of rings on a goblet!

Master Splinter
2nd December 2007, 05:28 PM
The Oxford English Dictionary strongly supports the theory that pom and pommy originated as contractions of "pomegranate", Australian rhyming slang for immigrant.

The OED cites The Bulletin, which on 14 November 1912 reported: "The other day a Pummy Grant (assisted immigrant) was handed a bridle and told to catch a horse."

Thats probably as close as we'll get to the origin of the term.

rsser
2nd December 2007, 06:19 PM
Yeah, derivations are tricky.

OED went with common usage, bless 'em.

One version I've read was 'pomme' = French for apple = the colours of English migrant complexions.

Least for the first few days they were here ;-}

Well, bit OT eh Vern?

Frank&Earnest
2nd December 2007, 09:15 PM
Yeah, derivations are tricky.

OED went with common usage, bless 'em.

One version I've read was 'pomme' = French for apple = the colours of English migrant complexions.

Least for the first few days they were here ;-}

Well, bit OT eh Vern?

That was Nino Culotta's version in "They are a weird mob" IIRC.

The ryming slang for immigrant was actually Jimmy Grant, Pummy (Pommy) Grant indicates that the graft with the pomegranate had already taken:).

Frank&Earnest
2nd December 2007, 09:22 PM
The thought just struck me: is there any evidence of wooden goblets with captive rings in the 17th century? It does not sound right to me. If they indeed existed, a weird story like that could even be true, can't see any practical reason for turning them otherwise.

TTIT
3rd December 2007, 12:25 AM
Y..........Well, bit OT eh Vern?No worries Ern - interesting just to see the way the twists and turns go sometimes:; Basically just wanted to see if anyone else thought the story had any credibility :shrug:

rodent
4th December 2007, 12:32 AM
What does that story tell us about skew?......:D:D:D

It tells us Gra he hates RINGS ( because they always brake . ) or so he says . :((

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th December 2007, 12:54 AM
Well, they do!

No, not when I'm turning... when some kack-handed visitor picks up the goblet and gives it a vigorous shake to "hear them rattle." :~

A few years back I made a twin-ring goblet for my bro as a special order Chrissy gift for his SWMBO. Nicely boxed and all. When I next dropped in on him, there it was on the mantelpiece... but without any rings. When I asked about it, I was embarassedly told by my bro: "Well, she likes to shake the present first and guess what's inside. This one had her guessing for five minutes..." :doh: