PDA

View Full Version : I need a new Lathe

Sarge
3rd December 2007, 06:57 AM
My darling wife has agreed to buy me a new lathe for Christmas.

I have been using a GMC for the last two years turning pens, goblets, bowls and spindles... just about everything I guess.... quite an achievement on a GMC :)

I bought the GMC because it was very very cheap and I needed to know if I was going to enjoy wood turning. Now that I have decided to stick with it I need to purchase a real lathe.

I would like to buy one that will do me for a long long time, so if I spend the money now I wont have to worry about upgrading later.

Now the problem, if you can call it that, I have about $1800-$2000 to spend just on the lathe, I hope thats enough to get me a pretty decent one..... the question now is which one.

I'm hoping you guys can help me spend my money wisely.

Jim Carroll
3rd December 2007, 07:33 AM
The Nova 1624 falls into that price catagory and will do all you want.
Have a look here.
http://www.cws.au.com./cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144884&product_id=1107423581

artme
3rd December 2007, 12:40 PM
Sarge, you might look for 2nd handstuff in the Trading Post etc.
Remember to check bearings etc on any 2nd hand machine before buying.
New: Nova (as Jim suggests), or perhaps a Jet.Both can be bought without the frame so you can have the pleasure of building a REALLY SOLID workbech to which you can anchor the lathe.
If you want Electronic variable bpeed (IMHO the only variable speed worth having) you will pay more for the advantage of not fiddling with belts.
You did VBw to last so long with a GMC. If you could turn on that you can turn on anything.:D:D

Jim: you remind of "The Newcastle Song" which has a line that goes
"Don't you ever let a chance go by old son, don't ever let a chance by":D:D:D

Calm
3rd December 2007, 02:54 PM
When buying a lathe make sure it has a slow speed well below 500 rpm. I have a Hafco from Hare & Forbes and it has 10 sdeeds that are very easily changed by moving a lever. The lathe has done everything i have wanted including dancing around the shed with me in tow when an out of balance bowl blank is started. The 500 RPM is defineitly not slow enough. The lathe Jim suggested is 250 RPM i think. I think that would be ideal.

funkychicken
3rd December 2007, 08:12 PM
Can I borrow your wife?:D

weisyboy
3rd December 2007, 08:19 PM
novas are great lathes.

i upgraded my gm from a gmc to a nova1500 and its like learning all over again.

10 tips

1.cast iron headstock and bed

2. lots of speeds the more the merier.

3. low speeds

4. its not chines

5. large swin over bead

6. swivel head with multable stops (not just 0 and 90*) or outboard option.

7. popular thread and morse taper

8. parts are avalable

9. on legs or stand helps.

10. large motor.

orraloon
4th December 2007, 11:23 AM
Sarge,
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~kjeeves/leady/lathe/images/lathe1.html (http://members.ozemail.com.au/%7Ekjeeves/leady/lathe/images/lathe1.html) I got this lathe about 5 months ago and reckon it will last a life time. The cost is very reasonable and comes with a swag of extras. The nova is good and I looked at it when I was in you're position. I have heard a few people say that jet have gone down hill of late so if you want one go for an older one. My advise would be to look at a good cross section of what is out there. Take you're time and try to get to see them run. Second hand deals can be good or not. You have to know what to look for and also right time and place. Good luck with the hunt.

Regards
John

OGYT
4th December 2007, 12:41 PM
If the larger Vicmarc lathes are anything like the VL 100, check them out. I have a little VL100 bench model, that's the cat's meow! Only thing wrong with the bench model, is I have a 1725 rpm motor on it, and with the Vic's pulleys, it makes the slowest speed 682rpm. Variable speed Vicmarc is worth looking into... but I don't have a clue about the prices in Oz $.

ss_11000
4th December 2007, 03:32 PM
as far as vicmarc go. its either second hand or a vl100 for under 2K here.

a 175 costs $3500 new and they keep going up from there

RETIRED
4th December 2007, 06:41 PM
Sarge, you might look for 2nd handstuff in the Trading Post etc.
Remember to check bearings etc on any 2nd hand machine before buying.
New: Nova (as Jim suggests), or perhaps a Jet.Both can be bought without the frame so you can have the pleasure of building a REALLY SOLID workbech to which you can anchor the lathe.
If you want Electronic variable bpeed (IMHO the only variable speed worth having) you will pay more for the advantage of not fiddling with belts.
You did VBw to last so long with a GMC. If you could turn on that you can turn on anything.:D:D

Jim: you remind of "The Newcastle Song" which has a line that goes
"Don't you ever let a chance go by old son, don't ever let a chance by":D:D:DThe Nova comes with a fairly solid stand.

Sarge
5th December 2007, 12:13 AM
Thank you all for your advice.

I was pretty well sold on the Nova 1642.... That was until I saw the leady, as suggested by orraloon, it just looks so strong and solid and I really like the rugged look of it

I have searched the net but can't find a whole lot of information on it. Can anyone give me more personal information. Better still can anyone give me a comparison between the Nova and the Leady.

The obvious difference in the specs is the size of the motor and the high and low speeds, Leady is only 1 hp with a speed range of 400 to 300. The nova is a 1.5 hp reversible with a speed range of 214 to 3600. Does the differences here really make the Nova the better option.

The Leady has an extra 400mm between centres and does not need the outrigger at a extra cost

I can't find a price on the net for the Leady but I think it's somewhere around $1300, thats $449 cheaper than the Nova.

Of course I can pick up the Nova personally, the Leady will have to be couriered and I assume that wont be cheap either.

Do either of these lathe has variable speed options and at what cost. If they does have the option, do I have to order it with variable speed or can I get it added at a later date. Do I really need variable speed

Now I'm really confused :)
All advise gratefully accepted

Ps: funkychicken, your welcome to borrow my wife, but she has a non returnable policy and with her come all the bad point's, I'll get a couple of rolls of toilet paper and write them all down in very very small print so they will fit :D

Thanks for your time guys

hughie
5th December 2007, 06:17 AM
Hi Sarge,

Leady lathes do come with a variable speed motor for an extra $800 and it looks like the same deal that Jim Carroll has. The last price I have on a Leady was $1350 pick up from his house. I gave a hand to a mate of mine to pick his up and had a good look over the lathe. Very solid and well made, my mate now swears by them. The pulley set up is polyfin or micro groove belt and pulley. Which gives real good power transfer, with no slippage. Bruce reckons the belts will last 10-15 years minimum.

I cant remember the belt type other than its the variety they install on cnc mills and lathes. Its a particular brand with a high life expectancy.

I have only had a passing look at the Nova so I really cant offer much help there.