PDA

View Full Version : pipe clamp

haosiliu235
3rd December 2007, 04:34 PM
hi all
just want to ask i would i thread a pipe to pipe clamp? and can i get bunnings (where i buy the pipe) to thread the pipe?

cheers

Wizened of Oz
3rd December 2007, 04:56 PM
Just down the road from me there is a plumbing supplies outlet. They have a bin of pipe pieces in a couple of lengths already threaded both ends.
Your nearest plumbers supply store should have the same. Try your Yellow Pages.

jerryc
3rd December 2007, 05:42 PM
As wizen says, plumbing supplies or Bunnings have lengths threaded both ends. On this point perhaps a bit of advice based on my own experience. I buy relatively short lengths and pipe joiners. This means I can make pipes to suit the length of the work to be clamped without having too many odd lengths or pipes too long for any except rare jobs. Pipe joiners also have the added advantage of protecting the end thread that juts out from the clamp. It's all too easy to damage these if and when the clamp is dropped, and it always drops on the threaded end.

Jerry

jerryc
3rd December 2007, 05:43 PM
Sorry wizen -- I mean Brian

Jerry

Brown Dog
3rd December 2007, 06:41 PM
I set up a few pipe clamps not to long ago and found that the local plumbing supply places no longer delt with that sought of pipe any more...

the solution I found..... was to buy the pipe from a steel supplier and hire the threader from Kennards....it worked out much more economical than buying the pre threaded stuff from bunnings (which they only had in short lenghts any way)

cheers
BD:2tsup:

Greg_stewy
4th December 2007, 10:57 AM
HI ,
I went down this path a couple of years ago...
be aware there are a couple of different types of thread!!!
I ended up going to a local steel place in brisbane, and they were able to identify exactly what type of thread I needed and then were able to thread a length of pipe with the correct diameter on both ends, and then I just took it home and cut the pipe in half(or whatever lengths you want). I think it only cost me about $10-15. It cost that much to buy some pipe from Bunnings only to find that it wasn't the correct thread.....

Greg.

Waldo
4th December 2007, 04:42 PM
Dependent on where you are, I have the gear and a 3/4" thread to cut your pipe for you. I'm in Kilsyth.

Which reminds me I still have to cut two more lengths and cut the threads yet.