PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Need Some Tas Blackwood? (VIC)

EtherealGuitars
5th December 2007, 09:12 PM
Hey builders,

I was lucky enough to stop by Matthews Timber (Vermont, VIC) today and they have restocked the Blackwood shelves :):):)

There is heaps there. Plenty of 50mm x 275mm, 50 x 185mm and so on....heaps smaller than this also.

I was lucky enough to score some nice 1/4 sawn stock with some figure.....get in there for a hunt if you can.....oh yeah, it is machined top and bottom so you can see what you are buying.

And for those wondering, NO, I don't have any affiliation with the business at all so I am NOT selling something....just sharing this info with fellow luthiers in the hope that this awesome timber ends up in guitars and not tables or something else boring like that :D.....yes I do have a bias towards stringed instruments in case you hadn't guessed:U.

RGM
5th December 2007, 09:41 PM
For once in my life i wished i lived in Victoria!

oz tradie
5th December 2007, 09:48 PM
Ethereal, Thanks for the heads up.

After you phoned me in the arvo, I phoned Deano to let him know, and
he already went there last week and took most of the speccie stuff. :doh:

I'm going around to his house to raid his shed.:~

cheers, Stu

Archer
5th December 2007, 09:50 PM
....just sharing this info with fellow luthiers in the hope that this awesome timber ends up in guitars and not tables or something else boring like that :D......

So i shouldn't mention that in a few months im planning on making our kitchen benchtops from blackwood then? :o

EtherealGuitars
5th December 2007, 09:53 PM
Ethereal, after you phoned me in the arvo, I phoned Deano to let him know, and
he already knew about it and took most of the good stuff.:doh:

I'm going around to his house to raid his shed.:~

cheers, Stu

Aha! So Deano keeps such 'secrets' to himself does he ay?? Funny though as Ian said I was the first guitar builder that had seen this new stock.....someone's a fibbin'....not that I care too hoots :).....got some lovely timber that I may resaw into some pretty special 20mm carve tops....anyway, if we all look after each other and use this forum/networker to do so, we ALL win :2tsup:

EtherealGuitars
5th December 2007, 09:54 PM
For once in my life i wished i lived in Victoria!

Hey RG, there's PLENTY of reasons to want to live in VIC.....footy, winter, timber, beer :D

oz tradie
5th December 2007, 09:56 PM
and we've got the grand prix........ouch :D

RGM
5th December 2007, 10:16 PM
Hey RG, there's PLENTY of reasons to want to live in VIC.....footy, winter, timber, beer :D

footy - I manage to play some years, Lots of dead footy leather on the roads too.
winter - Got a little some years.
timber - Got lots, stares at me and makes me cry. You have better yards admittedly, though.
beer - You should see my fridge!

We got clipsal 500, does the job.

oz tradie
5th December 2007, 10:27 PM
I'm gonna have a look at Mathews timber on Saturday morn.
Go through the dregs.

I got the green light from the missus to buy a bit more.
I'm kinda surprised though, after buying a house on an acre on Monday, you'd
think I'd get smacked 'round the head for even attempting to ask.

RG..........VICTORIA bitter is also ours :U

cheers, Stu

Archer
5th December 2007, 10:33 PM

cheers, Stu

glad someone claims it!

Beer is like timber, all the best aussie stuff comes from tassie. You guys have it nice down there, except the cold!

oz tradie
5th December 2007, 10:38 PM
We've also got 'the giant worm'. seconded only by the now defunct 'Wobbies world. '

ahh yup.....good times good times

RGM
5th December 2007, 10:48 PM

Don't even get me started on my feelings towards that so called "beer"...

Women eh... She wants a nice house, i want a WRX sti, I'll let you draw your own conclusion to who will win :C (insurance on the car for me would be very close to 10 grand a year...she has a point)

oz tradie
5th December 2007, 11:05 PM
Don't even get me started on my feelings towards that so called "beer"...

Women eh... She wants a nice house, i want a WRX sti, I'll let you draw your own conclusion to who will win :C (insurance on the car for me would be very close to 10 grand a year...she has a point)

With beer , it pays to be less fussy. That way you 're never let down.

Go the house.......with generous garage for the luthier's workshop.
Then you can draw down more money against the mortgage and get the wrx in 6 months time. ( BTW car must stay out of the workshop):;

Mind you, ditch the insurance and get ten grand in blackwood each year.

cheers, Stu

RGM
5th December 2007, 11:21 PM
With beer , it pays to be less fussy. That way you 're never let down.

Go the house.......with generous garage for the luthier's workshop.
Then you can draw down more money against the mortgage and get the wrx in 6 months time. ( BTW car must stay out of the workshop):;

Mind you, ditch the insurance and get ten grand in blackwood each year.

cheers, Stu

Sounds like the formation of an interesting plan. House MUST have giant shed with separate 3 car garage though that might be asking a little much for a first house..

I have no doubts that i can maintain a car without full comp insurance, but being young and always wearing my lead driving shoes it seems like a good idea...

Something tells me $10000 won't get me far with blackwood, due to it's awesomeness and such...damn timber prices!

Deano
5th December 2007, 11:38 PM
Hey guys,
I raided that Blackwood stash last week. All the pieces I got are perfectly 1/4 sawn with great figure.
Here are some pictures for your enjoyment.
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/7323/pc034360smallfz3.jpg

A sneak peak of my Mathews findings.
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/7211/pc064393smallmn9.jpg

(Now that we are on the topic of blackwood) In a few weeks I will be selling 5mm-18mm highly figured caps for no profit. All pieces are roughly 280mm wide x 550mm long x 5mm-18mm thick and are perfectly 1/4 sawn with moisture levels below 8%. All pieces are properly dressed with a shelac coat and waxed ends. I am doing this so every one interested gets a good deal, including myself. Like I said this is non profit, I just want to get some nice blackwood before its all gone. (This stash is not from Mathews)
This is a piece:

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/171/figureplanesmallky4.jpg

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/7404/closeupsmallzr1.jpg

Thanks guys.
Deano,

Hammered
7th December 2007, 11:03 AM
Guys, did you have to use the beer argument in Victorias favour? Its not working. Don't forget SA has Coopers, clearly a much better beer than anything brewed by CUB/Fosters.

I think Archer nailed it on the head though. Tasmania is the place foor good wood and a tasty brew. Even the cheapo Tasman beer available from Coles Liquorland for $30 a slab is better than most CUB/Fosters beer (because it's brewed by Boag's).

Deano, I certainly may be interested in a couple of the larger thicknesses (18mm), especially if it's figured as nicely as that in your pictures. When do you think they will be available? How is it going to work? Will you post some pictures up of the pieces? Sorry for the questions, but I'm certainly keen. PM me with some info if you like.

Cheers, DJ!

EtherealGuitars
7th December 2007, 03:55 PM
I agree on the Tassie argument.....if I could pull the right strings, I'd move there!!! The best timber and the best climate and landscapes in Oz by a long shot I reckon. There are so many good beers available pretty much anywhere that it doesn't sway me, besides, I'll have a bourbon and coke thanks with heaps of ice :rolleyes:

Ditto for me too Deano. Let me know when you know what's on offer at what price etc etc.....

oz tradie
7th December 2007, 05:05 PM
I totally agree the Vic Bitter link was a little on the pissy side.

I drink anything and everything, but seem to find myself coming back to VB
especially after building houses in the full sun in summer.
It's more about quenching a thirst than subtleties on the pallette.

You've got a few more interested customers there , Deano.
Maybe time to organize your second shipment.:2tsup:
You picking them up next week after slicing ?

cheers, Stu

Deano
7th December 2007, 10:56 PM
Hey Guys,
All timber should be ready by Thursday next week. Well, thats my aim.
Hopefully I will have:
3 x 1.8mm
2 x 1.6mm and
3 x .5mm
1 x 75mmx75mm 1/4 sawn neck

Or

4 x 1.8mm
6 x .5mm
10+ x headstock veneers

Depending on how I cut it.
What are your thoughts?

I will post everything when its all ready to go.
Cheers,
Deano

EtherealGuitars
7th December 2007, 11:54 PM
Hey Guys,
All timber should be ready by Thursday next week. Well, thats my aim.
Hopefully I will have:
3 x 1.8mm
2 x 1.6mm and
3 x .5mm
1 x 75mmx75mm 1/4 sawn neck

Or

4 x 1.8mm
6 x .5mm
10+ x headstock veneers

Depending on how I cut it.
What are your thoughts?

I will post everything when its all ready to go.
Cheers,
Deano

Hey Deano. Thanks for this mate. I assume you mean 3 x 18mm, 2 x 16mm, 3 x 5mm bookmatched tops yeah? What dimensions length and width? I suggest go for thicker carve tops rather than a 5mm job...instead of 3 x 5mm, go 1 x 15mm.....if you lose a bit in the resaw you can always cover it with a thicker goal to start with.....also, watch out for massive/sick tearout if you thickness plane them after re-sawing....that figure is bound to be a b**ch to smooth out....unless you have a drum sander......wish I had a drum sander!!!...one day, one day......

oz tradie
8th December 2007, 12:45 AM
18mm is my preference of thickness over all sizes. Although 16mm is still a decent amount and can generate a good , solid carve.

6 mm and drumsanded is the minimum thickness I'd want for a droppy. I think 5mm is cutting it way too fine, especially if these tops aren't being drum sanded dead flat.

Remember also, you have outlayed considerable coinage on this stuff and from what
I saw at your house, you've got a few good alternatives as far as cutting goes.

The important part to make sure of ,which ever avenue you take with your cut list,
is that you get back in coin what you put in.

I'm still after at least 3 tops. 2 preferably carve sized. 1 droppy (6mm and up)

Gimme a call tomorrow if you need a bit more guidance or advice.

Hammered
8th December 2007, 01:53 AM
Deano, I would definately go for 2x 18mm carve tops.

I agree with Stu and Etherial here. You probably don't want to go too thin, even though it spreads the love a little further.

If it where me, I'd be getting as many 18mm tops out of it as I could, and working any other sizes around that.

Anyway, you can count me as very interested. Will wait to see what you decide.

old_picker
8th December 2007, 12:20 PM
deano
you should be makin a little on this even if only to cover you power costs and juice to pick up the boards
ok to do it for mates who have helped out with ur projects
any one else i would say make some money on it
it was your enterprise and $$$ that got you the top boards from that stack

Deano
8th December 2007, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback!.
I will try get some preliminary prices up tonight.
Cheers,
Deano

oz tradie
10th December 2007, 07:12 PM
Deano's computer is on the blink and has been taken away to get fixed up.
Possibly a week before he's back on-line on his own computer.

Blackwood Pricing will be in the next week or so, when said computer is back in action.

cheers, Stu

old_picker
10th December 2007, 08:24 PM
shoulda called me
generally 24 hr turnaround

oz tradie
10th December 2007, 08:30 PM
I know . Don't know who he's using, I just got asked to spread the word and hang the 'indisposed' sign up.

A week does seem like a long time, though.

cheers, Stu

Hammered
11th December 2007, 10:05 AM
A week? To get a PC running again. Even at this time of year that is WAY too long. I could have it running better than new in 24 hours.

Poor bugger. I'd be pretty PO'd without a PC for a week.

oz tradie
11th December 2007, 06:11 PM
Deano just dropped by the workshop for a sticky at the burst top.
Brought along his SLR digital camera too. (not that he can upload pics anywhere)

He's gonna hate being off the net, for sure.
He said it's gone to someone he knows and getting extra stuff done as well.

cheers, Stu

Hammered
12th December 2007, 02:13 PM
Ooh nice, DSLR's are awesome. I had a Canon DSLR a while ago, but it was stolen :( Now it's back to the InstaKodak. Still pull out the traditional SLR fairly often as well.

At least he has someone he knows that will probably do him a good deal, even if it does take a while. Hope he gets up and running soon.

woodturner777
12th December 2007, 07:24 PM
Nice Blackwood Deano, where did you get it. Regards Bob.

woodturner777
12th December 2007, 07:52 PM
Hi Deano,
that sure is Beautiful Figured Blackwood.

oz tradie
12th December 2007, 10:12 PM
G'day Woodturner, Deano may take a few days to get back to you as his computer's
gone into the pits.

cheers, Stu

woodturner777
13th December 2007, 04:37 PM
Hi Deano, i must agree with what Old Picker said you have to make some thing for your out lay on the Blackwood, high figured Blackwood like you have is Rare.