PDA

View Full Version : how do you store jaw sets

robyn2839
5th December 2007, 10:23 PM
i have discovered a good way to store jaw sets in a way that makes it easy to install next time you use them , people might do it this way already but here goes. when i have finished using a particular set of jaws and want to replace them i close jaws up , put elastic bands tightly around the jaws themselves ,then undo screws then remove in one peice,which makes it easy to install next time ,just line up one number and the rest are right tighten up and put others back on the nail for next time. bob

scooter
5th December 2007, 10:36 PM
Simple - I loike it! :)

Cheers................Sean

ss_11000
5th December 2007, 10:38 PM
tis a good idea. :cool:

DJ’s Timber
5th December 2007, 10:55 PM
Great idea, but instead of using rubber bands, use hair ties, as I find the rubber bands perish after a while

TTIT
6th December 2007, 12:32 AM
Well I'll be damned!!! I've had 5 sets sitting on the workbench for a couple of months to remind me to have a masterful stroke of genius and find a better method of storing them - - you just might have saved me all that neural exertion Bob - I'll give it a try :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th December 2007, 12:50 AM
I like the idea of holding 'em together, full points for that!

But I don't like the idea of hanging 'em from a nail. :no: One bad band and it's hands'n'knees time, fossicking among the sawdust to find 'em again. Methinks I'll keep on storing them in their boxes, but with the rubber bands holding 'em together. :)

wheelinround
6th December 2007, 08:13 AM
:2tsup::2tsup: top idea Bob

Thanks

LOML aint going to like me pinching her hair ties

:D:rolleyes:hang on she bought new elastic and she's going out today she wont miss a couple of cm's

:rolleyes: how about elastic with velcro tabs

Cliff Rogers
6th December 2007, 09:37 AM
I store mine on the chuck. :D

TTIT
6th December 2007, 10:02 AM
I store mine on the chuck. :DCapitalist!!!!

I'd need six chucks!:o Currently only 2. :shrug:

Cliff Rogers
6th December 2007, 10:46 AM
I have 9. :-

OGYT
6th December 2007, 11:49 AM
Very good idea! Gonna give this a try... right now mine hang on pegboard hooks.
Skew, Hang large fruit jar lids up first, at a slight slant, then put the rubber-banded jaws in them. Just a thought. :)
Cliff... 9? good grief! Gotta tell Her Majesty... maybe she'll soften a little. :D

HappyHammer
6th December 2007, 12:41 PM
Nice and simple I like it too.....now for those hair bands.......:cool:

HH.

Cliff Rogers
6th December 2007, 12:46 PM
Chucks are like clamps.... :D

killerbeast
6th December 2007, 04:33 PM
Chucks are like clamps.... :D

hmmm right... havent got any chucks (yet)

Big Shed
6th December 2007, 05:24 PM
I use plastic storage box sets I buy in SuperCheap Auto, also use these for screws etc.

The jaw sets fit very nicely and the advantage is that the fixing screws can be stored in the same container. The standard jaws for my Nova G3 Chuck use 2 screws per jaw, the 25mm Pin Jaws use only 1 screw per jaw. So when I have the Pin Jaws on the chuck, the unwanted 4 screws for the standard jaws get stored in the container with standard jaws.

Unikely to lose them that way.

killerbeast
6th December 2007, 05:29 PM
now that is an excellent way to do it...

HappyHammer
6th December 2007, 06:01 PM
Off Topic:

Hey Rasmus, Whereabouts in Denmark are you I spent a bit of time there at a place called Valby? near Billund. And of course visited the little mermaid a couple of times.:U

HH.

robyn2839
6th December 2007, 06:06 PM
I use plastic storage box sets I buy in SuperCheap Auto, also use these for screws etc.

The jaw sets fit very nicely and the advantage is that the fixing screws can be stored in the same container. The standard jaws for my Nova G3 Chuck use 2 screws per jaw, the 25mm Pin Jaws use only 1 screw per jaw. So when I have the Pin Jaws on the chuck, the unwanted 4 screws for the standard jaws get stored in the container with standard jaws.

Unikely to lose them that way.

imagine how much easier with the bands, put on chuck in one piece,love the containers ,will have to get some of them.bob

Toolin Around
6th December 2007, 07:02 PM
Not sure how I'd get the rubber band round mine but I store mine in a glass by the bed :D...

Cliff Rogers
6th December 2007, 07:07 PM
:tool: :D

Big Shed
6th December 2007, 07:12 PM
Not sure how I'd get the rubber band round mine but I store mine in a glass by the bed :D...

A shot glass?:D

Frank&Earnest
6th December 2007, 09:07 PM

Well, mine are screwed in - titanium, $500 a screw - the most expensive in my life!:D

chrisb691
6th December 2007, 09:29 PM
I have 9. :-
Sorry Cliff, but my eyes aren't as good as the once were.
Did you say 9 :D

killerbeast
6th December 2007, 11:42 PM
dam i havent even got one......... yet........ But now the happy owner of 20 bowl blanks and lots of spindel wood.. for the meager sum of 400dkr.... (around 91 aud) NICE !! tha wating is killing me... but the chuck should arrive tomorrow or the day after that

Cliff Rogers
7th December 2007, 10:58 AM
Sorry Cliff, but my eyes aren't as good as the once were.
Did you say 9 :D
Yeap, I hate changing jaws. :p

hughie
7th December 2007, 08:45 PM
Yeap, I hate changing jaws. :p

Ditto! I've got 5..........at the moment

robyn2839
7th December 2007, 09:12 PM
i change with cordless drill ,doesn,t take long because the jaws are already in order when i took them off last time i used them, i can change in under 2 minutes and i don't over tighten (and they never come undone). bob