PDA

View Full Version : Real dumb question

Grandpa
6th December 2007, 07:34 PM
I would like to start making small jewelery boxes and picture frames.
What INCRA equipment would I need. I have a B&D router + some router bits.
Any advice would be appreciated.
I am on my L plates for this.:-

manoftalent
7th December 2007, 12:13 AM
oh boy ....its no wonder nobody has touched this can of worms .....mate, some would say it all depends on how much money you have to spend .....how well you want your workshop equiped factors on the end product .....so....I am gonna get the ball rolling and offer this advice .....sit back and reflect on the type of boxes and frames you have in mind ....the raw materials your going to use ...pine/hardwoods/mdf etc
some basics would include woodglue ....corner joiners (metal wafers )..or biscuit joiners (more expencive but better )....table saw/crosscut saw/ or a drop saw .....I would go for the crosscut ....its more accurate and easy to use ......but it has limited depth of cut ....but most will cut 200-250mm at all sorts of angles ...then you need clamps ....frame clamps ...good quality sash clamps ....."g" clamps ...a set of good quality quick action clamps ....nails, screws and other like hardware .....dovetail jigs ...a good quality handsaw ...the list is endless ....so start on one project ...and go from there ......you will gain both experiance and tools over time , and one day look back at these boards and say.....jeez that guy wasn't even close to the list of stuff I have now ...:o

bsrlee
7th December 2007, 12:30 AM
Well, for starters, you are going to need a router table to bolt your router to.

Have a look at the Gifkins web site, they have a .pdf of a simple router table - they are an Oz alternative to Incra, and have some useful files on box making too.

jow104
7th December 2007, 12:51 AM
We also have a forum section named Box Making.

In there you will find many articles/pictures on how they made a box thats on show.

Grandpa
7th December 2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks so far for the info, but I would like to purchase INCRA products to use for box building and picture frames. There are several options and I need to know which one would suit a beginner best. Price is no problem and from what I have read, INCRA is the best.
Thanks again.
:U

ian
7th December 2007, 09:03 PM
Grandpa

welcome

what sort of material do you intend to build your boxes from?
a kit of material dimensioned and cut to size?
or
raw timber that needs to be dimensioned and cut to size?

if the former, you "just" need to cut the joints, if the latter well ...

apart from clamps

to cut joints with Incra gear I can't really help as I haven't used any.
you might get more help if you buy the Incra videos (or DVDs) and study how to use the various jigs looking to what works easiest with boxes

to dimension raw timber at jewelery box sizes
a "lunch box" planer will get your short boards flat
a drum sander will get them finish ready
a good mitre saw will get the edges straight (Gifkin's web site show how to rip box size (<300mm) boards using a mitre saw)

ian

Stuart
7th December 2007, 11:45 PM
Then go for the LS 17" positioner

(It'd take a book, or at least a small thesis to qualify why that's my answer based on the info supplied.)

Grandpa
8th December 2007, 08:04 AM
I guess an LS 17" positioner is the way to go.
Great website Stuart.
:)

Big Shed
8th December 2007, 08:16 AM
Grandpa, I have the Incra LS17 and am very happy with it.

I made my own router table to mount it on.

As there isn't a huge difference in price between the 25 and the 17, I would purchase the 25 if I had to it again.

I have set up my LS17 so that I can use it on my tablesaw as well and the extra 8" would come in handy at times.

The only down side would be that you need a bigger router table.

Grandpa
8th December 2007, 08:45 AM
I can get the new INCRA-LS POSITIONER 25" Super System for AUD $415 (does not include delivery)
Why do they charge over $800 in Australia?:((

Honorary Bloke
8th December 2007, 09:31 AM
I can get the new INCRA-LS POSITIONER 25" Super System for AUD $415 (does not include delivery)

Because they can. :D

Big Shed
8th December 2007, 10:37 AM

Same applies to almost everything imported from the US, double the $US selling price, add 10-20% and you have the $A selling price.

Don't know all the reasons why, but there it is.

Look at Veritas, Lie Nielsen etc, this is why so many people are now buying direct from the US.

Bear in mind that even the LS17 came in a fair sized box, so would be wise to get a quote on freight before you make up your mind to direct to the US.

At one stage I looked at getting some flexible DC hose from the US and the freight cost exceeded the cost of the hose!

Grandpa
8th December 2007, 10:52 AM
Because they can is not good enough. It will interesting when I hear back on the cost of shipping. I will let you know.
Cheers all:)

Sir Stinkalot
9th December 2007, 11:11 AM
Grandpa .... I was going to send you a private message but you do not appear to have that activated.

Lets just say I was in a similar situation as yourself a few weeks ago.

Have a read of this post: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=61412&highlight=rockler

Grandpa
9th December 2007, 03:27 PM
:)Will try Rockler for purchase of tools. Thanks Sir Stinkalot.

DoctorBobski
10th December 2007, 07:51 PM
Try Eagle America. I've just received my order of a 25 inch super system and a mitre 1000se from them. Cost $555 US plus $200 US P&H. The super system itself was $399 and postage would be cheaper due to no mitre gauge. The parcels arrived three days after I confirmed the order by FEDEX. The total Australian including charges for converting was $831 a saving of about $500 from local suppliers. Betty in their customer service dept fired back e-mails daily to sort out the shipment. No I don't work for them. Just had a very pleasant experience.

jow104
10th December 2007, 08:12 PM
I suppose with the US dollar being so week at the moment we are on the right side for a change. Mind you retailers also ought to have lower prices as well at the present time?

Chris Parks
10th December 2007, 08:28 PM
Local retailers are like muscles, don't use them and they whither and die. It has become a conundrum since the internet has made it so easy to buy OS and the retail market is yet to catch up and figure out how to deal with the problem (to them).

simso
18th December 2007, 11:45 PM
I dont think you need anything as fancy as the big ones, I have two incra ultra lites and they are magnificent, one is on my table saw and the other on my router

Steve