PDA

View Full Version : changes to workshop

robyn2839
7th December 2007, 12:10 AM
came up with a few ideas for workshop, the first was a holder for chisels while turning i have a tenancy to put them behind the lathe since i have filled in behind lathe to stop sawdust buildup.the rack i made simply bolts on end of lathe ,and folds back when not being used, second i made a bench from sleepers,routed out for a router table ,made from a sheet of ally, had nowhere to put my dropsaw so i mounted to the end of the bench,then found i could not cut long pieces on the table saw as it fouled on the drop saw ,so now the drop saw folds-down out of the way, next i got a cafe-bar cupboard and mounted jointer to it ,then connected it up to dusty, all finished now. all i have to get now is a variable speed lathe and i,m finished. bob

killerbeast
7th December 2007, 12:45 AM
Looks soooooooo nice... great looking shop... looks like you have all that is needed......

mobjack68
7th December 2007, 02:42 AM
and all I have in my garage is an old beat up car and a motorcycle...maybe Santa will be nice if I leave these pics laying around, she might get the hint??

MartinL
7th December 2007, 02:53 AM
A wonderful workshop. But it looks awfully clean - do you use it?:U

les88
7th December 2007, 06:09 AM
It is a great workshop :2tsup: plenty space between machines and is that an old german jack on the top shelf
les

hughie
7th December 2007, 06:30 AM
Robyn,

Very good and interesting. I am moving into something very similar in a few months so your layout etc is food for thought. Much obliged for the posting.

artme
7th December 2007, 07:59 AM
Great Shed!:):U

Whereabouts in Brisie are you? because you to invite me over to see those slabs in person.:D:D

Simomatra
7th December 2007, 08:12 AM
Great looking shed makes mine look like the local dump

Seriously you are a clean freak

wheelinround
7th December 2007, 09:09 AM
So you had a major cleanup after making all you new stuff Bob looks great :2tsup:

rod1949
7th December 2007, 09:29 AM
Might clean up and layout out my shed one day... might and one day

robyn2839
7th December 2007, 09:51 AM
It is a great workshop :2tsup: plenty space between machines and is that an old german jack on the top shelf
les

there are several of them.bob

robynmau
9th December 2007, 09:15 AM
wow, that looks fabulous, :-

cheers

Robyn

BernieP
9th December 2007, 12:13 PM
G"Day Bob

Great shed and great lot of toys,:2tsup:

Cheers
Bernie

Rippa
9th December 2007, 11:15 PM
Great shed Bob how do you keep it so clean and tidy makes mine look like a junk shop, can you open that door or is it fixed shut.

Rippa

robyn2839
10th December 2007, 07:16 PM
yes i can open it up .i got into the practice of cleaning up and putting everything back in there place as soon as i finish,or at the end of the day , no exceptions, always clean nothing to trip over. works well.takes a while to sort the shed out though ,i have changed the layout about ten times till i got it right ,hope its the last .bob

RETIRED
10th December 2007, 11:33 PM
yes i can open it up .i got into the practice of cleaning up and putting everything back in there place as soon as i finish,or at the end of the day , no exceptions, always clean nothing to trip over. works well.takes a while to sort the shed out though ,i have changed the layout about ten times till i got it right ,hope its the last .bobHa!! You wish. The only thing that doesn't move in my place is the lathe and that is because it's too big.:;

barnsey
19th February 2008, 10:24 PM
G'day Bob

Can you give any detail on how you achieved the drop down mechanism for your drop saw?

I've got an SCMS that I want set up but am space strapped - your idea seems like it might help me out.:rolleyes:

Like your shop though - how much space you got. My double garage has a no standing area for SWMBO's car:~

robyn2839
19th February 2008, 10:54 PM
so does mine mate half each,line to prove it, hope she never learns to use a tape. as for the drop down bracket i will photograph tomorrow.bob by the way i have changed the shed again,added a few tools taken a few away,better this time?????.......bob...........

robutacion
20th February 2008, 03:14 AM
G'day robyn2839,

I can admire a work-shed like yours, and the amount of effort that takes to keep it that way. I also admire the quality and variety of machinery and tools, you got in a relatively small area, it does require a lot on engineering to work out where to put things and make them workable. I have been watching your workshop to grow, as you kindly share with us all your new tools and equipment as you get them, and for what I know about these matters, I'm sorry to inform you that, this will not be the last time you re-arrange the workshop, as every time a new "fair sized" tool gets in, thinks will get moved around. So, unless you make the impossible decision of stopping buying new "toys", I reckon you will better off, giving the whole garage to the wife, and built yourself a "medium" size (2 to 3 times the garage size) insulated shed, on the backyard, away as possible to the house. You seem to know how to invest your money, and I'm pretty sure you worked bluddy hard enough for it so, good for you you can afford good stuff. After all, this is your retirement entertainment centre, and I hope you find a way to get your own proper unshared space, to that you can continue to do some shopping for those latest gadgets, that some of us only can dream about it.
I had once a workshed like that, I was in the wrong location, for noise and dust making, I end-up not been able to move around, and any small job would take me lots of stuffing around to get it to fit in between gaps, and that did take no time to drive me up the wall in a very bad way. I also got frustrated with the amount of cleaning necessary , and most of it wasn't even in or with the tools I had used to do the job in the first place so, I was planning in moving to a more appropriate location, and with a specially built shed for all my tools and equipment, finally after all those years squished for space, I was going to built a hell of a building, large shed with a bedroom, office, bathroom and toilet, a totally self contained work-shed for my retirement in view.
Yeah, sure, good plans turn into sh@t sometimes, and in my case with my physical incapability's hitting me at least 10 years before I had predicted, went from working 7 days a week, to seven days in bed, month after month, so in less than a year, the Banks, the Finance people and the Tax mob, took everything that had any value, house, cars and tools. After they finish, I was living in a caravan at a local caravan park with my wife and dog, a car valued at about $2.000, and 2 suitcases with clothing. For tools, I had 2 screw drivers, 1 hammer and a pliers, and that was the toll kit left in the old car when I got it. After 40 years of hard work for me and the wife with about 20 working years, wasn't a lot left. Living out of a disability pension to pay for everything, including expensive rent, etc., has become a hell of a job. No, no, don't feel sorry for me, none of that stuff please, instead learn to appreciate what you got, while you got it.

So dear Bob, I wish you enjoy every one of the tools of have in that workshop of yours, and if possible, grow even bigger, who cares what people say? you are buying all those magnificent tools, just because you can so, make your money give you whatever makes you happy and excited, those are the few good moments that make life worth while, so do it in style...! yeah
Obviously, this will apply to everyone else!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Sawdust Maker
21st February 2008, 09:04 PM
I reckon the bike looks out of place - I'd sell it