PDA

View Full Version : Egg Chuck Design

HappyHammer
7th December 2007, 10:58 AM
Vern has inspired me to turn some eggs.:o So I went out and bought the 50mm pipe connector ($5) see attached.

I have looked at Verns design and also OGYT's and was thinking of extending the wooden insert (ala OG's design) in the end connected to the chuck so that I can cut a dovetail in the timber rather than cut the inside of the PVC.

Any views on the design and the suitability of the connector I have bought much appreciated.

I'll post some progress pics of the construction.:C

HH.

HappyHammer
7th December 2007, 12:25 PM
Come on I know someone knows what I'm going on about......:doh:

HH.

HappyHammer
7th December 2007, 12:38 PM
Something like the attached, extending the timber and cutting dovetail on the left and shortening the one on the right.

HH.

Rookie
7th December 2007, 01:00 PM
That looks okay. I haven't made one yet but I will probably leave it as PVC and use the longer jaws to hold it. I guess it may depend on the jaws you have available.

HappyHammer
7th December 2007, 01:25 PM
I've got the standard 50mm jaws that came with my SN2. The PVC is pretty tough but I was worried about using the jaws inside out and stressing the PVC and shortening the jigs life. Although having said that this is the way Vern has his and he's turned hundreds of eggs.

HH.

Sebastiaan56
7th December 2007, 02:21 PM
Hi Hammer,

Vern (TTIT) did and eggcelent tutorial on his set up a while ago, covered all of your questions,

Sebastiaan

HappyHammer
7th December 2007, 02:32 PM
I've read the tutorial on Vern's site, which is excellent, but am interested in views on OGYT's variation on the theme. I didn't want to open up Al's original thread as it's a bit old. It's here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=41576&highlight=egg+chuck).

Is there a thread on here somewhere with more info., did a search but couldn't find it?

HH.

Elbow
7th December 2007, 02:55 PM
I made 2 from pvc P traps, that way you get to use the rubber compression washer to hold the egg tight without scuffing much.

allan

HappyHammer
8th December 2007, 11:00 AM
I've changed my mind having put the pipe on the lathe with the jaws inside it holds it very well with little pressure. So I'll go with Vern's original design. I'll post some pics once I get started on it.

HH.

wheelinround
8th December 2007, 01:27 PM
:2tsup: looking good HH

by the way hows Movember going

TTIT
9th December 2007, 01:31 AM
Just did up this drawing to show you how I've made sure mine never leaves the chuck without permission Happy' :U It will depend a bit on how thick your fitting is - the one I used is about 5mm thick so there was plenty of meat to cut the dovetail into.

BernieP
9th December 2007, 11:09 PM
G'Day HH

Have a look at this site http://www.minndakwoodturners.com/articles/Eberle_Eggs/eberle_eggs.html

Cheers
Bernie

Rookie
10th December 2007, 10:47 AM
G'Day HH

Have a look at this site http://www.minndakwoodturners.com/articles/Eberle_Eggs/eberle_eggs.html

Cheers
Bernie

Don't know that I'd be too keen on getting the knuckles near that hose clamp. Wonder if he has any skin left.

HappyHammer
12th December 2007, 06:17 PM
Just did up this drawing to show you how I've made sure mine never leaves the chuck without permission Happy' :U It will depend a bit on how thick your fitting is - the one I used is about 5mm thick so there was plenty of meat to cut the dovetail into.
Thanks Vern how did you cut the dovetail?

HH.

HappyHammer
12th December 2007, 06:22 PM
G'Day HH

Cheers
Bernie
Thanks Bernie I wonder if he's ever had any pop out?:doh: I'll have a go at this one and see how I go although I like the simplicity of the one at the link. Looks like he's made plenty of eggs with it.

HH.

TTIT
13th December 2007, 12:19 AM
Thanks Vern how did you cut the dovetail?

HH.From memory I just held it by the other end in the standard jaws and probably used the long point of the skew with it laying flat on the toolrest. PVC turns pretty easy as long as you take a fine cut at low speed.

Ray153
13th December 2007, 08:59 PM
I made an egg jig along the lines of the one HH has drawn. I used a piece of scrap somethingthatusedtobeatree and found that even though I had had it for years, it moved somewhat after turning it down so it doesn't run true as well as I would like. I will make another along the lines of TT's jig, less chance of moving.

I've not had lots of experience with PVC, but I'm yet to come across a bit that splits, cups or bows depending on the relative humidity.....

wheelinround
24th December 2007, 05:02 PM
How about a video on how to HH http://marleyturned.com/id139.htm

HappyHammer
26th December 2007, 10:56 PM
That is really cool.... I'll have to give it a go. I like the cracking of the egg at the end.:2tsup:

HH.

HappyHammer
8th January 2008, 11:25 AM
Ok I finally got some time to finish the egg chuck. It's not as elegant as the others I've seen but it works functionally so I'm not to worried about it being bit of a frankensteins monster.

The two parts are partly lined with some very thin cork to protect the finish on the egg.

HH.

OGYT
8th January 2008, 01:55 PM
HH, that looks like a good one to me... I got my idea from TTIT's website, if I remember right...
I don't see why yours wouldn't make hundreds of eggs, too. Good job.:2tsup::2tsup:

robutacion
9th January 2008, 06:33 PM
Ok I finally got some time to finish the egg chuck. It's not as elegant as the others I've seen but it works functionally so I'm not to worried about it being bit of a frankensteins monster.

The two parts are partly lined with some very thin cork to protect the finish on the egg.

HH.

Hi HappyHammer,
Isn't this your second version of an egg jig?
There are so many possibilities, is nice to see people trying new/different things.
Your recent post (finished jig), cort my eye, as I have recently re-worked my web site, and one of the subjects is my egg jig. I have been using my jig for for some time now, and I haven't needed to use my second one (both made at the same time, from the same 40mm compression coupling), as the one in use hasn't fail to hold the eggs yet. The whole thing was built from the compression rubber ring interior size, supplied with the 40mm C.C., which matches the 45mm of my eggs diameter. If the rings ware, I don't thing that they sell the rubber rings separately, in any case, I believe is a excellent investment at $25.00, if I have to buy a new coupling just to get the rubbers, as I've done hundreds of eggs and I can't see any sign of ware. It will one day...!

PS: I would suggest that you do something with those screw heads, they will cut your hand badly! just my opinion.

Cheers
RBTCO

Gryphon
10th January 2008, 05:31 PM
RBTCO, sorry for the hijack, but I was having a look at your website and the "steel arms helper (http://timberssoul.webs.com/mysteelarmshelper.htm)" that you claim are yours were alledgedly designed by nyodine last year???

It is great that you have put pictures of it up whoever's design it is because nyodine's thread and all the pictures disappeared for some reason.

edit: I tried to find the thread by nyodine but seems that they don't exist? Got me confused??

robutacion
10th January 2008, 06:52 PM
Hi Gryphon,

I'm pleased that you remember the name, and that thread about those "steel arms helper".
The answer to your question, is at the bottom of each page of that web site. So, thanks for your concern about design ownership, the information on that subject is now where it belongs, and available again to anyone that find it useful.

The thread is still available on this forum, but without the pictures.

I thank you for pointing it out, you don't need to be confused and or worried about this or any other matter, related with that web site. Every piece of information on that site, is absolutely correct, legal and free.

Cheers
RBTCO

Tiger
27th September 2008, 03:31 PM
Anyone have a part number or descriptor for the plumbing part that is used for this chuck, went to local Bunnings and they couldn't find it.

joe greiner
27th September 2008, 10:36 PM
Part numbers from the upover probably wouldn't help at all, and terminology might be different too. But fittings like Vern used sometimes carry names like Coupling, Reducing Coupling, (Male/Female) Adapter, Reducer Bushing, and similar word combinations around here. To help finding the parts, print a copy of the picture, and try again.

Joe

TTIT
28th September 2008, 12:27 AM
Anyone have a part number or descriptor for the plumbing part that is used for this chuck, went to local Bunnings and they couldn't find it. I bought one a little while back to make a chuck for Toni (LubbingCherubs) but I can't find the receipt to get the description. I can drop in to the plumbing joint where I buy them next week if it helps.

HappyHammer
29th September 2008, 12:36 AM
I got mine at a plumbers suppliers.

HH.

robutacion
29th September 2008, 01:29 AM
Anyone have a part number or descriptor for the plumbing part that is used for this chuck, went to local Bunnings and they couldn't find it.

I hope this help.

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

OGYT
29th September 2008, 04:17 AM
Here in the upover, it's called a "Compression Coupling.

Tiger
29th September 2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks guys, I will try Bunnies again and see if they can find the part but should point out that I went on AFL grand final day and there was only a casual there.