PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning teachers in Sydney?

philly
17th November 2003, 04:34 PM
Hi all...
Just wondering if anyone knew of a teacher in the Sydney Metro area (pref. north) who could show me the basics. Just want to have a go or even watch somebody before I sink loadsa money into it!
Kindest Regards
Phil

arose62
18th November 2003, 11:02 AM
My approach was a $100 lathe from SuperCheap Auto, and a set of cheap chisels (<$20).

Tuition from borrowing every library book on the subject ($0).

Wood - offcuts from building sites, then cut down trees found on footpaths ($0).

Already had a dust mask and face shield.

I figured this was a good way to find out if I'd like turning as much as I thought I might. I've made 70 "things" so far - mallets, small bowls, toilet paper holders, gavels, stool, jewellery holder, chisel handles, pears, etc. and have decided that I do enjoy turning.

There are quite a few clubs around, where I'm sure you could get enough "goes" to decide if you want to spend $$$, and heaps of advice on what to buy.

I'm now slowly building my collection of good chisels, one at a time.

Cheers,
Andrew

philly
18th November 2003, 11:08 AM
Thanks for your comments Andrew. As you can imagine im just a bit worried about fixing my first piece of wood to a lathe, watching it fly around at x thousand revs and sticking a chisel up against it wothout supervision. :-)

I may have to commision one of your toilet roll holders!

Kindest Regards

Phil

BigPop
18th November 2003, 11:24 AM
Philly,
Try your local TAFE as they usually run courses - maybe able to talk to a teacher and make an arrangement to have a look etc.

If you do decide to get into turning may I suggest that you do a course and learn the 'right way' to turn various shapes, sharpen tools, safety etc etc.

I am presently half way thru a TAFE course and am loving every minute of it. Had no idea at all about woodturning before I started, other than 'you used a lathe and some chisels' - now I can turn out some useful albeit basic stuff but it is still heaps better than what I would've been able to do had I not started the course.

It's worth every cent I assure you and also heaps of fun.

Give it a go you'll be glad you did.

philly
18th November 2003, 01:31 PM
Cheers for that Big Pete!
I actually just enrolled in a 1 on 1 for next month at the Tool and Bookshop so that should give me a start. I see you make beer too. Im a masher meself!
Kindest Regards
Phil

Keith Jeeves
18th November 2003, 07:27 PM
You should look at joining the Sydney Woodturners Guild. Some of the Regions run classes for members who are beginners. You'll learn a lot and meet some nice people. Only costs $25 a year.

Have a look at the web site www.sydneywoodturners.com.au and approach your nearest Region.

colh
24th November 2003, 03:18 PM
Hi Philly

My wife bought me some time with Courtney Williams at Harbord - three saturday mornings - which was an excellent way to learn the basics. You should be able to find him in the phone book.

cheers

colin

Woodencrux
25th November 2003, 08:53 AM
philly,
I'd suggest you initially take Keith's advice. I am presently halfway through an 18 hour course which is probably about 15 hours "hands on" the lathe. Given the cost is about equivalent to 1 good chisel, it is money well spent.
If you check out the site Keith provided I am sure you will be able to contact a group convenient to your location.
Best wishes,
Alan

philly
25th November 2003, 08:12 PM
Woodencrux, Colh and Keith...
Thanks for your input. After my initial starters course I will look into the Woodturners. I think Hornsbuy may be my nearest.
Kindest Regards and I hope to contribute when I am a bit more experienced.

colh
27th November 2003, 03:48 PM
Philly

I am a member of the Hornsby region of the Sydney Woodturners Guild (since about April this year), and I am sure you would be welcome. We meet at Annangrove once a month on a Saturday. Next meeting will be in February 04.

You don't need to wait to be more experienced. It's never too early to pick up useful tips from the more experienced turners, and most will be more than happy to talk with you.

If you would like to email me on [email protected] I can give you some more info.

cheers

Colin Hunter