PDA

View Full Version : An oval lidded box

powderpost
7th December 2007, 11:14 PM
At long last, all the commissions are finished.......... permanently. Now more playing in the shed. This is the first oval job done for about two years. The first few were done on a shop made wooden oval turning chuck. This one was done on a factory made chuck, borrowed from a friend.
The bowl is made from silky oak and measures 110mm x 70mm. Three coats of sanding sealer and two coats of lacquer, rubbed back with oooo steel wool for a soft glow finish. First two are self explanatory, three is the box with the lid removed, four is the bottom of the box.
Jim

robyn2839
7th December 2007, 11:26 PM
how do you turn ovals ? i have to make some hat blocks and dont know how to . bob

DJ’s Timber
7th December 2007, 11:56 PM
Nice one Jim, the silky oak really stands out on the lid

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th December 2007, 12:57 AM
:whs: The grain looks fantastic oriented to the long axis like that. :2tsup:

how do you turn ovals ? i have to make some hat blocks and dont know how to . bob

Bob, there are two ways...Use a special chuck that moves the blank back and forth towards the toolrest, twice every revolution. Turn using very green wood. :innocent:

Somehow I think Jim used a chuck. :U

artme
8th December 2007, 07:28 AM
:thewave:Bewdiful!! What else can be said?

La truciolara
8th December 2007, 07:31 AM
Congratulation, they are superb!

But you guys down there you are so lucky to be able to buy the oval turning device from Vicmarc.
This machine is a real delight.

Hardenfast
8th December 2007, 10:07 AM
Steady on there, Jim. I'm still working on trying to get my pieces round, without the irregular shapes in them!

Still, oval shapes on a lathe sounds somewhat fascinating - so much still to learn. Its sounds like it would shake the bejesus out of your setup? Any links or further info available on this?

Great work by the way. Too nice to sell.

Wayne

hughie
8th December 2007, 12:57 PM
how do you turn ovals ? i have to make some hat blocks and dont know how to

Bob, Have a look here

http://www.volmer---ovaldrehen.de/englisch.htm

joe greiner
8th December 2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the link, Hughie. Bookmarked for future downloading of stuff (too large for dialup now).

Vollmer probably mentions it, but if not, note that the timber presents a varying angle to the cutter as it rotates past the toolrest. See his pic at upper left of the link page. I'd expect a bunch of unpleasant surprises at first.

Another way to turn an oval, or almost any shape, would be to use a Rose Engine (browse the Ornamental Turning sub-forum) with a cam to match the desired shape. I'm not sure how offset surfaces would behave; might need offset cam surfaces for those.

Joe