PDA

View Full Version : CA Finish Drying with white-ish spots

etepperman
8th December 2007, 01:43 AM
Hi,

lately my CA finished have looked patchy. Cloudy white areas are showing. Anyone have any idea how to buff these clear? It appears to be on the outside of the pen, since when I put some water or DA on them, the white spots go away until it dries.

Thanks,
E

artme
8th December 2007, 07:49 AM
Hi Etepperman,
Could be:

moisture in wood
not allowing enough drying time between coats
some impurity got into CA
finish applied under poor atmospheric conditions eg, cold, high humidity
DA put on when finish not dry
use of accelerant to help drying and the putting another coat on immediately:no:
someone spat in the enzyme:D:DDo you?

Use thin or medium CA?
Use boiled linseed oil as part of your finishing process?Suggest:

You look up International Assoc. of Penturners site on net.
You my have to dismantle pen, remove finish (on lathe with tools/paper),refinish.:doh:Hope this helps.:)

PenTurner
8th December 2007, 05:20 PM
Looks like Artme has covered the lot, has happened to me when trying to do things too quickly and not enough drying time or using much glue then accelerant to make it dry quicly and there is uneven drying and rubbing back with water and 1200 grit allowed moisture on the undried bits. if it happens while on the mandrel, use 400 grit and sand back to wood and start again , WITH patience, Amos:rolleyes::)

dai sensei
9th December 2007, 11:03 AM
Most white areas with CA I have experienced are to do with putting the thinner CAs on too thick, made worse with accelorator.

The thick CA is the only one I've found you can use thickly, and with accelorator, without forming white areas. But CA should be built up from thin layers. The thick CA can be placed heavily, but it too is stronger built up in layers to the overall thickness/depth you desire.

etepperman
14th December 2007, 02:09 AM
Thanks everyone. Got the finish working now. I was putting it on too thick and not giving it time enough to dry.

For others using this finish, I found a good product. The paint on CA applicator, it come in a nail polish size bottle of overpriced glue, however once the glue is used up I plan on refilling it from other larger bottled. The paint on applicator sure helped me get a nice thin even coat.

Thanks Again,
E

Jiminidaho
14th December 2007, 06:31 AM
I used to do the CA finish. I cant stand the fumes!!! Sheesh. Gives me a headache!

I switched to ShellaWax. I realize that it wont probably hold up as long as the CA but I have to say I like the feel better. And ShellaWax smells like roses compared to drying CA. :roll:

I appreciate a fine CA Finish as it produces an excellent result when understoond and done correctly.

CA'less in Idaho

jim

Merry Christmas! May we all remember the Reason for the season!

tweed woody
19th December 2007, 11:13 PM
What is CA I am new to this

dai sensei
20th December 2007, 08:18 AM
It's super glue, the CA is short for Cyanoacrylate. See here (http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107142014) for a local suplier near you.