PDA

View Full Version : Taffys TV unit

Taffy
17th November 2003, 09:30 PM
As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago I have put my first attempt at cabinet making here for you guys to have a gander at. I lesrned a few tricks that I would be able to improve on next time around
The unit is made in four parts and is totally of real wood,(no particle board). all the bases and sides are jointed not butt screwed. the side bottom faces are for speakers with the cloth fixed and speakers out of sight.

Constructive criticism welcome.
Taffy

vcohen
17th November 2003, 09:41 PM
Niiiice Job Taffy,

A unique design. What timber did you use?

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers

hatemondays
17th November 2003, 09:54 PM
That is a very cool looking unit, constructive criticism?? Try extending and routing the cables from your dvd/video units through the side cabinets to hide them. Especially since you went to so much effort to cleverly conceal your speakers......am gonna have to try that trick myself

silentC
17th November 2003, 10:23 PM
Looks great, I wish my first attempt was half as good as that.

How did you do the glass, is it sand-blasted, etched or painted?

Justin
17th November 2003, 10:40 PM
Nice bit of contempory design there Taffy.

What kind of timber and finish did you use ? Is it sprayed ?

Constructive criticism ; I see from your reflection in the tv that you're holding the camera by hand. Try using a tripod or resting the camera on something so you don't get the slight blurring effect from camera shake, especially if you're not using flash.

Cheers,

Justin.

Taffy
19th November 2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by vcohen
Niiiice Job Taffy,

A unique design. What timber did you use?

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers

Thanks, the timber is AA grade 17mm hoop ply for the tops ,sides,bottoms, the feet I turned from 90x40 clear hoop.
I faced the ply ends with old hoop pine that I cut from 100yr old hoop pine tounge and groove. the frames for the bottom doors and draweres are 42x12 pine the glas door frames are 42x19 pine.

Taffy

Taffy
19th November 2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by silentC
Looks great, I wish my first attempt was half as good as that.

How did you do the glass, is it sand-blasted, etched or painted?

The glass is finished with a film that gives the appearance of etching, I have to admit I gave that job to a proffessional, cutting glass has never been among my best attributes.

Thanks for the comment

Taffy

Taffy
19th November 2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Justin
Nice bit of contempory design there Taffy.

What kind of timber and finish did you use ? Is it sprayed ?

Constructive criticism ; I see from your reflection in the tv that you're holding the camera by hand. Try using a tripod or resting the camera on something so you don't get the slight blurring effect from camera shake, especially if you're not using flash.

Cheers,

Justin.

Thanks Justin,
The Timber is as below in another reply, the finish!! thats a whole new learning curve, I wanted an antiguey finish so I sprayed with a coloured satin after sading sealer, then I wiped off the majority of the finish on most of the area, then when dry I sprayed again to get the old effect.
Sounds simple now but there was a lot of !!*** and resanding from the start until I was happyish with the result.
Missus thinks its great so who am I a mere male to contradict.

Take your point about the camera work.

Taffy

Taffy
19th November 2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by hatemondays
That is a very cool looking unit, constructive criticism?? Try extending and routing the cables from your dvd/video units through the side cabinets to hide them. Especially since you went to so much effort to cleverly conceal your speakers......am gonna have to try that trick myself

The Cables will be clipped to the back of the top unit now that I have purchased longer cables.
If you do the speaker trick remember to do fixed panels so that there is no rattleing doors from the vibration of the sound.

Taffy

Remember if there was never a Monday there would be no weekends.