PDA

View Full Version : Ablebody seeking Experianced Mind

DSEL74
8th December 2007, 02:24 PM
I am seeking a mentor aka grandfather figure so to speak.

I am a full qualify Industrial Designer who recently suffered a breakdown and have been unable to work for over 12mths. It hasbeen suggested I should persue some of my past passions in order to help rehabilitate myself. My Grandfather was a tool maker by trade and I have a resonably equipped work shop. I am seeking a mentor to help me with the finer points of furniature making in the workshop.

In exchange I am offering my CAD Drafting services and my able body to help with your projects.

Located in Eastern Suburbs, VIC.

wheelinround
8th December 2007, 02:34 PM
Welcome

Well this is a good place to learn an with very knowledgable team of fellows. Shame you in the southland:D

echnidna
8th December 2007, 07:36 PM
It may be very worthwhile for you to consider joining a club/s &/or a Mens Shed

DSEL74
9th December 2007, 12:39 PM
It may be very worthwhile for you to consider joining a club/s &/or a Mens Shed

Guys thanks for your quick feedback.

Can you tell me where I might find more info about clubs or a Men's Shed in my area?

wheelinround
10th December 2007, 08:20 AM
Guys thanks for your quick feedback.

Can you tell me where I might find more info about clubs or a Men's Shed in my area?

http://www.mensheds.com.au/

check out the clubs section one may be listed

noelhi1
13th December 2007, 09:34 PM
You want a mentor you have come to the right place,Just ask away and you will get your answer. you won't regret it. Doing your own wood working does wonders for body and sole :2tsup:(and peace):roll::o
Welcome aboard:2tsup:

bricks
13th December 2007, 09:55 PM
I'm in adelaide mate so I don't plan on doing any drop in's. Hang out on the forum, check down the bottom in Woddies Events, or announcments alot of guys from all over this country host get togethers all the time. They good fun.

Don't forget to show us your projects.

DSEL74
14th December 2007, 02:06 PM
Cheers Guys,

Going to checkout the Men's shaed in Manningham, the one in Nunawadding is no more.

wheelinround
14th December 2007, 02:20 PM
Cheers Guys,

Going to checkout the Men's shaed in Manningham, the one in Nunawadding is no more.

Good :2tsup: DSEL don't forget to keep coming back here laugh a minute

DSEL74
4th January 2008, 03:28 PM
Men's shed in Nunawadding has closed. It is part of a massive Baptist (i think) church complex and closed due to the Guy who ran it moving on. I guess if there is anyone out there with sop experiance they may have a position on offer!

The Manningham shed doesn't return phone calls :(:no:

Gra
4th January 2008, 03:34 PM
DSEL,

Where in Melb are you? Cant help you as a mentor (still learning myself, and Im too young to be a grandfather), but willing to stand around a shed and talk wood, cars and @#$%, if that helps:D. Sounds like you are in my area as well

Neil

DSEL74
4th January 2008, 04:00 PM
Easter suburbs, Templestowe.........................you?

Gra
4th January 2008, 04:16 PM
Easter suburbs, Templestowe.........................you?

I'm in warranwood. Actually went to school at tempy tech (dont hold that against me) :D:D

The maningham woodworkers meet opposite the Templestowe fire station (behind the sports centre). They have a good selection of tools in there, I did a turning course last year there. They seem to be a good bunch of guys.

You will need to remember that all clubs will have a high average age due the fact that the older guys are the guys more likely to have the time to devote to the club. (us younger guys tend to be to busy with work and family:shrug:) that would be a good place to look for an elder to learn from

Out of interest, what were you thinking of making? Were you looking at cabinetry, turning, bendy metal work, scrolling, metalwork, mixture of all of the above?

If you want to get together, drop me a PM and we will organise a time.

Neil

DSEL74
4th January 2008, 04:38 PM
I'm in warranwood. Actually went to school at tempy tech (dont hold that against me)

:oo:Can't hold it against you since that is also where I went before they turned it into a "Seconadry Colledge" and scrapped all the trades.

Mainly looking at funiture making and a bit of metal work. Have designed a Katana Dansu I want to make, still trying to source some kiri for it.

Will PM contact details.

Sturdee
4th January 2008, 04:48 PM
The Manningham shed doesn't return phone calls :(:no:

That's probably because they are on holidays until the 21st of January, I know because I do voluntary work there. :D

However reading your posts make me doubt that the Men shed is what you are after as they definitely don't teach the finer points of furniture making or metal work.

BTW there is a Whitehorse Men Shed in Station Street Box Hill as well, for details try the Whitehorse council.

Peter.

DSEL74
4th January 2008, 04:55 PM
Nah I spoke to someone there and the organiser was supposed to call me back later that day or the next and never heard back.

I have heard good things about Box hill.

Sturdee
4th January 2008, 05:10 PM
Nah I spoke to someone there and the organiser was supposed to call me back later that day or the next and never heard back.

I have heard good things about Box hill.

The phone might have been answered by one of the clients and the message not passed on.

Normally if Rick is not there it is left to go to the answering machine and the call returned later.

Peter.

CuriousBird
23rd April 2008, 07:48 PM
Hi there, hope things are going well with getting back on the horse! I've have Bipolar Disorder (well managed now thankfully) and find that woodwork is better than meditation for me.

I recently went to a short day course at the Melbourne School of Fine WoodWorking. I can highly, highly recommend it. It's low-key, hands-on, small groups of 6-8. I think it well worth the investment at around $18/hr for tuition. I learnt about 30x faster than what I learn at my TAFE course!

See: www.msfw.org.au They are located at Box Hill.