PDA

View Full Version : Leaning house

Driag
18th November 2003, 12:12 AM
I have an old Queenslander, built 1888. House had a slight lean when bought. Still moving. Any advise as to prevent further moving

Eastie
18th November 2003, 08:46 AM
Plant a couple of oak trees alongside :D
On a serious note get in a licensed builder to have a look to see where the problem is. Whatever the problem they should be able to give you an idea of what work would be involved in stabilising/realigning. For this you could squander money on “specially-trained architects” or you could get a decent local builder who does reno’s, knows how buildings are constructed and what to look for without needing an off the shelf checklists to guide them through.

Wood Borer
18th November 2003, 01:48 PM
Sounds like good advice if you have the inclination.

- Wood Borer:D

silentC
18th November 2003, 02:08 PM
Is it still open underneath or has it been closed in? It's either sinking on one side or the posts have developed a lean. Either way, you're probably going to need work on your footings. If it's still open, a bit of bracing wouldn't go astray. Definitely follow Eastie's advice and get in a builder. Get two actually and make them give you a quote.

Driag
18th November 2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Eastie
Plant a couple of oak trees alongside :D
On a serious note get in a licensed builder to have a look to see where the problem is. Whatever the problem they should be able to give you an idea of what work would be involved in stabilising/realigning. For this you could squander money on “specially-trained architects” or you could get a decent local builder who does reno’s, knows how buildings are constructed and what to look for without needing an off the shelf checklists to guide them through.

Thanks for the replies. I like tyhe Oak Tree idea. The house is on stumps and has been leveled, but the lean seams to from the base plate up, rather than from the stumps.
Will take you suggestions on the builder.

Many thanks Bruce

chappo
26th November 2003, 01:37 PM
Agree with all GET THE BUILDER IN NOW!

Sounds very much like someone somewhere has removed some bracing walls and or a couple of bracing walls have failed.

Are your door and window jambs plumb? Get a level and check. Also check for obvious cracking etc.

Taffy
10th December 2003, 10:44 PM
Have you checked for White ants?. if this not the case and the stumps have been replaced not just propped or wedged then as a previous reply some idiot has probably removed some timber from the walls for an alteration or addition.
I have had a similar experience, when I was renovating our bathroom, The NOT SO BRIGHT person who decided to install a shaving cabinet found that the cabinet did not fit between the studs, you guessed it instead of changing the cabinet they cut TWO studs to fit it in the wall.

I have of course replaced the missing timber.

Just a thought you may wish to inspect for any alterations to the offending side of the house.

Taffy
PS we also have a queenslander